PDA

View Full Version : DFS Sofa Repair

LSainsbury
20-05-2008, 15:48
Here's one for you lot....

Apparentlyyou can get an old sofa repaired by DFS for £20 if it was purchased from DFS.

Anybody heard of this service? I know you can get insurance on a new sofa, but how about this repair service?

Any takers?

Lee

Taf
20-05-2008, 16:29
They probably only cost £20 to make in the first place ........

haydnwalker
20-05-2008, 16:56
Hmmm...I'd be very wary about the quality of repair.

Where did you hear about this? Doesn't say anything about it on their website. Just says all their sofas have 10year guarantees.

LSainsbury
20-05-2008, 17:01
Hmmm...I'd be very wary about the quality of repair.

Where did you hear about this? Doesn't say anything about it on their website. Just says all their sofas have 10year guarantees.

A delivery bloke from DFS who delivered our new leather suite this morning...

WHISTLED
20-05-2008, 22:03
I think thats probabbly a cleaning/leather treatment rather than tear or damaged arm etc.

tweetypie/8
21-05-2008, 10:33
Here's one for you lot....

Apparentlyyou can get an old sofa repaired by DFS for £20 if it was purchased from DFS.

Anybody heard of this service? I know you can get insurance on a new sofa, but how about this repair service?

Any takers?

Lee

they should give you twenty quid for buying one off them in the first place.:erm:

LSainsbury
21-05-2008, 11:04
they should give you twenty quid for buying one off them in the first place.:erm:

What's wrong with DFS then?

We've just purchased a new suite and they've been very good!

They phoned 20 mins before they arrived to make sure somebody was there...

All in all, good service so far!

Wicked_and_Crazy
21-05-2008, 13:31

Nothing wrong with them if you dont expect it to last 10 years

LSainsbury
21-05-2008, 14:41
Nothing wrong with them if you dont expect it to last 10 years

Not sure how long I'd expect it to last...

haydnwalker
21-05-2008, 16:26
I'm not sure myself how long sofas are supposed to last these days? Are they supposed to be relatively consumable?

The DFS HQ is about 3miles from where I live and I know where the money goes :) Posh offices and fast cars for the directors!

Apart from the fact when i went in for my sofa they told me I COULDNT pay cash! I mean what kind of outfit are they running!

They just wanted me to opt for the free-credit option (but I don't believe that kind of thing exists for 80% of the time)

tweetypie/8
22-05-2008, 15:13

sorry m8 one of my sons bought of them and said their stuff is total crap !!,having seen the sofa for myself i had to agree.

Nidge
22-05-2008, 16:03
Apart from the fact when i went in for my sofa they told me I COULDNT pay cash! I mean what kind of outfit are they running!
They just wanted me to opt for the free-credit option (but I don't believe that kind of thing exists for 80% of the time)

The same thing happend to me when I tried to purchase a sofa from them about 2 years ago, I went in with the cash, picked the sofa I wanted then asked for a salesman to assist me, when he finished his spiel I said I wanted to pay cash, he said sorry we don't accept cash :shocked::shocked::shocked: He said everything is by credit, if you want to pay cash the price will be higher. I turned round and walked out of the shop. I've never been to such a set up in my life.

tweetiepooh
22-05-2008, 18:27
Go to a real furniture shop and talk to someone who knows about leather grades, hardwood frames (dowelled and jointed) and the true cost of credit.

Then go to DFS and ask the same questions.

That said, my parents bought a cheap sofa from a bulk shifter and it lasted years with children, pets and teenagers (incl a teen Christian meeting). Then I had it for a while when I first had my own place and eventually had to saw it apart and dump it. Definitely soft(er) wood and nailed and glued together.

It's a true adage that you get what you pay for.

Nidge
22-05-2008, 21:41
Go to a real furniture shop and talk to someone who knows about leather grades, hardwood frames (dowelled and jointed) and the true cost of credit.

Then go to DFS and ask the same questions.

That said, my parents bought a cheap sofa from a bulk shifter and it lasted years with children, pets and teenagers (incl a teen Christian meeting). Then I had it for a while when I first had my own place and eventually had to saw it apart and dump it. Definitely soft(er) wood and nailed and glued together.

It's a true adage that you get what you pay for.

I remember years ago when my mum and dad bought a sofa from the Co Op, it cost them £1,500 back in 1976, they still had it in 1988, they were looking to replace it but couldn't find a one big enough or stronger than the one they already had. They decided to have it recovered, a guy came out from Moore and Naylors in Kirkby in Ashfield, he told my mum to have it recovered because it's a solid frame and made from solid wood. It cost my mum and dad £800 to have it recovered, when they got it back it was like a new sofa, they'd done a right good job of it.

Back in 2000 they decided to get a leather suite from the Co Op, they asked me if I wanted the old sofa and 3 chairs? Straight away I said yes, now I'm 6ft 3inch tall and I could lay on the sofa and my feet wouldn't touch the other end, I had that sofa for 5 years and when I let it go it still looked as good as new.

They don't make them like they used to do.

LSainsbury
22-05-2008, 22:12
Evening,

OK - thanks for all the "advice" about DFS....seams that have a bad name!

Our new leather suite cost over £1k - nothing to pay for a year and then interest free for 3 years on 0% or we can pay the full balance at any time.

My partners previous suite (2 seat sofa and a chair) have been going strong for about 9 years now. There are a few rips (due to a doggy having a play, RIP) in the material but nothing that a recovering wouldn't sort out.

The frame is good and strong and the reclining mechanism is still very functional.

She got the suite from DFS. :tu: IMO!

Vlad_Dracul
25-05-2008, 09:48
I would have to disagree. Some time ago we bought a suite from DFS. The price was fair and we got an interest free deal. It is of a hard wearing fabric type,not leather. We still have it and it is good as new and shows very little wear. Leather suites might be a different issue. Perhaps if people took more responsibility for the care and use of their purchases,they might last a little longer? for example, dont let your kids or mutt trampoline or soil them..

KaySquirrel
25-05-2008, 10:23
I would have to disagree. Some time ago we bought a suite from DFS. The price was fair and we got an interest free deal. It is of a hard wearing fabric type,not leather. We still have it and it is good as new and shows very little wear. Leather suites might be a different issue. Perhaps if people took more responsibility for the care and use of their purchases,they might last a little longer? for example, dont let your kids or mutt trampoline or soil them..

Good to hear this! We're expecting delivery of our new fabric sofa within the next couple of weeks! :tu: :)

Have you paid yours all off? I ask only because we've got the interest-free deal, but don't LIKE having amounts outstanding, so plan on paying the whole thing off in one go. They told us it would be faster (and less paperwork) for us to just go to the branch where we bought it and pay it off with a debit card. Were you told the same thing?

If our sofa gets gets damaged due to improper treatment.. I'm blaming society.

budwieser
25-05-2008, 15:54
We bought our first suite from DFS in Bury st Edmunds and it lasted for 12 years before we got a new one from DFS in Cambridge. Cost £1600 in leather and its the most comfortable suite we`ve ever had.
This is the one we bought. http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/leather/zione/159/2113/18
I paid for it via a debit card. the finance is only an option.
Big :tu: to DFS in my book. Quality.:)

Vlad_Dracul
25-05-2008, 16:23
Good to hear this! We're expecting delivery of our new fabric sofa within the next couple of weeks! :tu: :)

Have you paid yours all off? I ask only because we've got the interest-free deal, but don't LIKE having amounts outstanding, so plan on paying the whole thing off in one go. They told us it would be faster (and less paperwork) for us to just go to the branch where we bought it and pay it off with a debit card. Were you told the same thing?

If our sofa gets gets damaged due to improper treatment.. I'm blaming society.

Yes,it was paid off years ago and the suite is still here and perfectly serviceable. We just let the 0% interest deal role on...

LSainsbury
25-05-2008, 19:30
Phew! Was begining to think I was the only person on the planet that thought we had a good deal (1/2 price) on our sofa!

This (http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/leather/navona/159/2558/0/all)is the one we purchase. Full electric reclining all round in chocolate brown.

KaySquirrel
25-05-2008, 20:11
Phew! Was begining to think I was the only person on the planet that thought we had a good deal (1/2 price) on our sofa!

This (http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/leather/navona/159/2558/0/all)is the one we purchase. Full electric reclining all round in chocolate brown.

We got the half-price deal, too. We took it on finance, because we weren't sure if hubby's company would consider that a 'relocation expense' and reimburse us for it, and the sale ended the next day! Granted, the next "half-price sale" rolled around a month later, but after seeing the kind of things other stores were selling for the same amount of money, we were happy to go with DFS. (At some other stores, the floor model wasn't able to stand up to the wear and tear of potential customers trying out the sofas!)

Choccy is a popular colour! We got the manual double reclining one like this (http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/fabric/beaumont/160/2547/0/all) but in chocolate. They had a lovely bright green leather sofa, but 1) my 2 kitties have claws and 2) am I really going to want to look at that green for the next 10 years?! lol