PDA

View Full Version : TCP Optimiser - how good is it?

lightwind
20-05-2008, 08:34
I've been reading some of the posts here about TCP Optimizer. I'd really like to give this a try, but as I don't want to cock up my system, which I've managed to do quite easily before :erm:, I'd like to know is it really safe and easy to use? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

The last thing I want to do is create a problem by changing things I don't understand. At the moment my system is running OK, but I don't actually know enough about the tech side to say whether it is properly optimised for broadband.

I'm on VM 4Mb cable.

Mick Fisher
20-05-2008, 09:20
IIRC it has a facility to enable you to return things as they were.

It also has an auto mode.

It made no difference for me but others have said they have benefitted from using it. I suppose it just depends on how far your system is mis-configured?

It's as safe to use as anything else is on a PC. :)

AbyssUnderground
20-05-2008, 10:35
It does have an option to reset back to windows defaults too, which is handy if when you change something it gets worse than it was.

whydoIneedatech
20-05-2008, 10:50
TCP Optimiser is actually on the Virginmedia website click on this link and read about it.

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_broadband_advanced_optimise

Then the link to the Speedguide site

www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net).

Or the link direct to the Optimiser.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

lightwind
20-05-2008, 12:16
Great stuff! Thanks for your help, I'll give it a whirl.

xspeedyx
20-05-2008, 16:11
Never made a difference for me apart from I can set my MTU to 1500 which it should be instead of the default that they use for dial up

DerekRothwell
20-05-2008, 18:06
It's no use if you have Vista.

hokkers999
21-05-2008, 00:45
I've been reading some of the posts here about TCP Optimizer. I'd really like to give this a try, but as I don't want to cock up my system, which I've managed to do quite easily before :erm:, I'd like to know is it really safe and easy to use? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

The last thing I want to do is create a problem by changing things I don't understand. At the moment my system is running OK, but I don't actually know enough about the tech side to say whether it is properly optimised for broadband.

I'm on VM 4Mb cable.

VM 4meg, 2 neg, 500meg or whatever it makes not the slightest difference. Just leave it alone. Hundreds of engineers at IEEE have spent years on this in conjunction with low level hardware engineers.

Don't mess with it.

whydoIneedatech
21-05-2008, 09:47
VM 4meg, 2 neg, 500meg or whatever it makes not the slightest difference. Just leave it alone. Hundreds of engineers at IEEE have spent years on this in conjunction with low level hardware engineers.

Don't mess with it.

If it works try it, and it is fully reversible if you do not like what it does.

lightwind
27-05-2008, 09:57
Well, I've run TCP Optimizer and the main thing which changed was the MTU, which I increased to 1500 from the previous value of 1400 and something. I'm running Win XP Home SP3, and I think there may be a slight improvement and consistency in my speeds since running TCP.

Still, that might be complete b****cks as well, and it's just me "wanting" to see an improvement, but at least it's not messed anything up, so I'm pleased I've given it a whirl.

Thank for all your help. :)