PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice from any of you Virgin Guys plz

stunt
18-05-2008, 19:48
My 20meg connection has been really bad from day one (was the same with 10meg). Most of the time it's between 2 to 4 meg, the one off best was 12 meg. I have sent letters complaining (when it was BY) but no joy. What I would like advice over is this. My son phoned VM yesterday about the bad connection, and was told straight away by a guy in the Liverpool center that it is a known issue. Apparently, I am on a server exchange in Knowsley (Liverpool) and this server is so over subscribed that it cant handle 20 meg connections. He advised us to downgrade to 4 meg as nothing can be done till the engineers upgrade this server. I was told this server was getting upgraded when I was on 10meg?

Whats annoying me is the fact that VM have been taking £37 a month off me for a service they themselves have now told me they cant provide, and they are also still selling the 20meg service in my area to ppl who would be on the same Knowsley server, not get the speeds they are paying for, and further over populating this server.

Was really thinking of going to the Trading Standards as they are advertising and selling something they know they cant provide.

Any advice or help appreciated:(

whydoIneedatech
18-05-2008, 19:52
My 20meg connection has been really bad from day one (was the same with 10meg). Most of the time it's between 2 to 4 meg, the one off best was 12 meg. I have sent letters complaining (when it was BY) but no joy. What I would like advice over is this. My son phoned VM yesterday about the bad connection, and was told straight away by a guy in the Liverpool center that it is a known issue. Apparently, I am on a server exchange in Knowsley (Liverpool) and this server is so over subscribed that it cant handle 20 meg connections. He advised us to downgrade to 4 meg as nothing can be done till the engineers upgrade this server. I was told this server was getting upgraded when I was on 10meg?

Whats annoying me is the fact that VM have been taking £37 a month off me for a service they themselves have now told me they cant provide, and they are also still selling the 20meg service in my area to ppl who would be on the same Knowsley server, not get the speeds they are paying for, and further over populating this server.

Was really thinking of going to the Trading Standards as they are advertising and selling something they know they cant provide.

Any advice or help appreciated:(
click on this link http://tools.virginmedia.com/ then post the UBR name at the bottom like this >cable.ubr09.live.blueyonder.co.uk do not post the numbers in front.

webcrawler2050
18-05-2008, 19:56

Trading standards wont help and you dont need them. This really gets my blood boiling. Have you rang Tech Support? This is exactly what I mean as to what I have said in other posts.

stunt
18-05-2008, 19:56
cable.ubr06.live.blueyonder.co.uk

webcrawler2050
18-05-2008, 19:58
Follow these as well:

At the times you are having issues, do the following

start >> run >> CMD >> ping www.virginmedia.com

Post the results

2nd >> Whilst in cmd >> tracert www.virginmedia.com

Post the results

3rd Visit, in your bowser, http://192.168.100.1. Go to Signal then post both up and down stream.

4th Speed test > www.speedtest.net post the results.

5th: http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ chose two files, download them together, post the results.

6th, are you running any kind of router or are you direct to modem via ethernet.
Run all the above results, with both direct and none direct.

stunt
18-05-2008, 20:00
Trading standards wont help and you dont need them. This really gets my blood boiling. Have you rang Tech Support? This is exactly what I mean as to what I have said in other posts.

Been there, done that on more than one occasion. Sorry if it boils your blood that ppl like me are not as tech savvy as you. If you read the post you would see I am going by what VM themselves have told me

webcrawler2050
18-05-2008, 20:04
It does boil my blood, why resort to speaking to trading standards?? I mean to me, thats just a bit over the top

It's not about being "Tech Savvy" its about there has been no "basic" self diagnostics done.

It could be the UBR you are on, it could also be your equipment, have VM checked that your modem is 20mb capable. Also are you using WiFI or a router?

Nedkelly
18-05-2008, 20:09
As webcrawler has said what modem are you using are you wireless ? .Can you post the upstream details and downstream details .There is a lot of work going on to upgrade the ubrs at the moment it does take time i know ive been waiting for mine :mad:

stunt
18-05-2008, 20:21
When I first went on 20 meg I was on the Webstar modem. VM said that could not handle 20meg and came and installed a little square black one, Scientific Atlanta, but it made no difference.

webcrawler2050
18-05-2008, 20:28
Right, so have you done the tests above ^^^^

whydoIneedatech
18-05-2008, 22:52
When I first went on 20 meg I was on the Webstar modem. VM said that could not handle 20meg and came and installed a little square black one, Scientific Atlanta, but it made no difference.

Give this a try it might help.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

icsys
18-05-2008, 23:57
It does boil my blood, why resort to speaking to trading standards?? I mean to me, thats just a bit over the top

It's not about being "Tech Savvy" its about there has been no "basic" self diagnostics done.

It could be the UBR you are on, it could also be your equipment, have VM checked that your modem is 20mb capable. Also are you using WiFI or a router?

Perhaps you ought to take a step back and actually read what is being posted rather than being quick to hit the 'rant' button.

It is pretty obvious he has rang for support...

...My son phoned VM yesterday about the bad connection, and was told straight away by a guy in the Liverpool center that it is a known issue. Apparently, I am on a server exchange in Knowsley (Liverpool) and this server is so over subscribed that it cant handle 20 meg connections. He advised us to downgrade to 4 meg as nothing can be done till the engineers upgrade this server. I was told this server was getting upgraded when I was on 10meg?

Whats annoying me is the fact that VM have been taking £37 a month off me for a service they themselves have now told me they cant provide...

WHISTLED
19-05-2008, 09:13
Stunt nit sure if your issue is with the whole issue of paying for a speed you cant get (which is the same with ADSL by the way) or wanting a partial refund..

If its the latter, PM me your details. No promises on the outcome but I will get one of my people to have a look - If its qualified then I'm sure we can help.