PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

wwe
15-05-2008, 22:10
what would you say are the best jobs are?

Hugh
15-05-2008, 22:31
IT - vastly overpaid, usually based on experience and ability, not qualifications. :D

(I've been in IT 28 years) ;)

Acathla
15-05-2008, 22:34
Beer Taster
Bed Tester

webcrawler2050
15-05-2008, 22:36
Your own business - you have no one to answer to, no employers, stupid rules "you cant wipe your backside" without being asked why!

I love being my own boss, I can work comfortably at home. Its all good!

v0id
15-05-2008, 22:39
Your own business - you have no one to answer to

I think Mr Taxman would disagree ;)

Mr_love_monkey
15-05-2008, 22:41
I was going to make a comment here about the best kind of job but it's smutty.

suffice to say, it rhymes with 'low'.

webcrawler2050
15-05-2008, 22:52
I think Mr Taxman would disagree ;)

Maybe but it's simple, pay an accountant!

Mr_love_monkey
15-05-2008, 23:26
All joking aside, the best job is the one that you enjoy.

If you can find a job that you actually like doing, then you're a lucky person.

Find one you enjoy, that pays well, and you're incredibly lucky....

Find one that you enjoy, pays well, and lets you tell everyone else how stupid they are, then you're an IT contractor :)

webcrawler2050
15-05-2008, 23:30
All joking aside, the best job is the one that you enjoy.

If you can find a job that you actually like doing, then you're a lucky person.

Find one you enjoy, that pays well, and you're incredibly lucky....

Find one that you enjoy, pays well, and lets you tell everyone else how stupid they are, then you're an IT contractor :)

hahaha!

TraxData
15-05-2008, 23:46
IT - vastly overpaid, usually based on experience and ability, not qualifications. :D

(I've been in IT 28 years) ;)

IT jobs pay very little these days as too many people are into that sort of stuff now...

I remember in the 90s you'd get 30k easily...now alot of IT work is minimum wage.

handyman
15-05-2008, 23:52
There seems to be a shortage of new programmers coming along so perhaps that one area that will see a rise in wages.

TraxData
16-05-2008, 00:01
I agree...i think that's because its a rather tedious job after a while though.

cimt
16-05-2008, 00:36
There seems to be a shortage of new programmers coming along so perhaps that one area that will see a rise in wages.

That's true. A lot of people in IT are idiots. The majority of young people are trying to get in to game design, that section is over crowded and low pay. If you want high pay in IT then you've got to go for the jobs that are short of staff and need them ASAP, pay will be a lot better.

WHISTLED
16-05-2008, 08:30
Painting the lines on roads - I seem to remember a story about them being paid over £60k, hardly any stress, and once you know the basics not too difficult.

haydnwalker
16-05-2008, 08:48
I'm in IT - I'm currently in the support side of it. If you want loadsa money in IT you need to either be in programming, database admin or network management.

Hugh
16-05-2008, 09:03
I'm in IT - I'm currently in the support side of it. If you want loadsa money in IT you need to either be in programming, database admin or network management.
Or an IT Director....... ;)

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-05-2008, 09:09
Gordon Browns brain - do nothing all day and get paid for it :D

LondonRoad
16-05-2008, 11:53
Professional Sportsperson. Perhaps not Centre Back for Clogsworthy united of the Eastern League 3rd division but imagine having the ability of Ronaldo, ...except you play for Celtic.. leading them out in the European Cup final.. minute to go...free kick 30 yds out..... Shoots... Sorry getting a bit carried away there. Perhaps that's unrealistic. What about having the ability of Tiger Woods... but Scottish... All square at the final hole as St Andrews, Drives the green leaving a testing 4 foot putt to win The Open....:blah:

Saaf_laandon_mo
16-05-2008, 12:00
Or an IT Director....... ;)

Do you get to employ and overpay programmers? In which case I better send a cv, lol

Mr_love_monkey
16-05-2008, 12:09
Do you get to employ and overpay programmers? In which case I better send a cv, lol

You'd have to go to Leeds though.... and even worse, you'd have to deal with foreverwar :)

Saaf_laandon_mo
16-05-2008, 12:17
Yeah but it would mean I get to take a leaf out of his book, sit on CF all day, and take the mickey out of you.... Jobs a good un lol.....

In all honesty I can't see them wanting to get rid of me from here(at least not for another 3 to 6 months touch wood), but just getting a bit bored.

Stuart
16-05-2008, 12:27
Painting the lines on roads - I seem to remember a story about them being paid over £60k, hardly any stress, and once you know the basics not too difficult.

I don't know about the Salary, but jobs like that tend to have good pay, as they are incredibly boring.

This is why Tube drivers get over 30K

Mr_love_monkey
16-05-2008, 12:54

I thought it was because they had a union rep who basically held everyone to ransom every few months to get pay increases?? :)

TraxData
16-05-2008, 12:56
I don't know about the Salary, but jobs like that tend to have good pay, as they are incredibly boring.

Bein a train driver isnt all that bad really, just take your mp3 player with you...and sit back most of the time.

I'd do it for 30k :D

Mr_love_monkey
16-05-2008, 12:56
....and take the mickey out of you....

That seems to be an integral part of everyone's job to be honest :)

Matthew
16-05-2008, 22:27

Have to agree there, been looking at jobs recently and I cant find a Techie job that pays more than what I am on.

Stuart
19-05-2008, 15:28
I thought it was because they had a union rep who basically held everyone to ransom every few months to get pay increases?? :)

That as well..

Scarlett
19-05-2008, 15:42
Have to agree there, been looking at jobs recently and I cant find a Techie job that pays more than what I am on.

Hence my reason for going into project managment.

The best job is something that you like and pays as well.

Hugh
19-05-2008, 16:36
That seems to be an integral part of everyone's job to be honest :)
Nah, it's pleasure, not work......... ;)

TraxData
19-05-2008, 18:06
Hence my reason for going into project managment.

The best job is something that you like and pays as well.

Unfortunetly those jobs are very hard to come by.

MadGamer
21-05-2008, 14:16
Im a helpdesk Support Technician. Currently earn £9,600 p/a but on July 1st its due to go up to £10,800 p/a as others have said find a job you enjoy, and one that pays well. I love my job because i enjoy talking to customers and helping people. It gives me satisfaction that if a customer is happy then im happy.

TraxData
25-05-2008, 23:08
Im a helpdesk Support Technician. Currently earn £9,600 p/a but on July 1st its due to go up to £10,800 p/a as others have said find a job you enjoy, and one that pays well. I love my job because i enjoy talking to customers and helping people. It gives me satisfaction that if a customer is happy then im happy.

How do you manage to live on 9.6k/year :shocked:

WHISTLED
25-05-2008, 23:41
By living at home with parents and not having any bills to pay probably - Those were the days

Damien
25-05-2008, 23:51
I finished Uni this year (well, now since my last exam was on Friday). Looking into Web Developement positions, quite hard to find as a Junior, especially in .Net. But when I eventually, hopefully, do. That will pay pretty good with good prospects

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-05-2008, 23:54
I finished Uni this year (well, now since my last exam was on Friday). Looking into Web Developement positions, quite hard to find as a Junior, especially in .Net. But when I eventually, hopefully, do. That will pay pretty good with good prospects

until its outsourced to cheaper labour nations

Enuff
25-05-2008, 23:56
Are you part-time? Money isn't everything, happiness and health are far more important. So they say.

TraxData
26-05-2008, 00:00
By living at home with parents and not having any bills to pay probably - Those were the days

I really miss those days...no bills...no responsbilities...stress free life..

Damien
26-05-2008, 00:19
until its outsourced to cheaper labour nations

Well, Maybe. Always got to be looking out at new languages to learn and new technologys otherwise could be made redundant in something fast moving like IT.

homealone
26-05-2008, 00:21
As I work it out, a person working 37.25 hours per week on the minimum wage for the 18-21 age group

http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/pay/national-minimum-wage/index.html

would be earning just under £9000 p.a.

- so if Wayne is part time he is doing ok ;) :)

TraxData
26-05-2008, 00:24
As I work it out, a person working 37.25 hours per week on the minimum wage for the 18-21 age group

http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/pay/national-minimum-wage/index.html

would be earning just under £9000 p.a.

- so if Wayne is part time he is doing ok ;) :)

I didnt realise minimum wage was THAT bad :shocked:

Vlad_Dracul
26-05-2008, 14:31
The best job is one which has a reasonable wage and conditions,one in which there is variety and change and you have a certain amount of control over what goes on. Job where you self manage are good i.e service type rolls where you go to different locations to carry out work for customers. IT ? I thought that was busted these days? The only well paid IT jobs are high level ones such as consultancy and programming etc etc.

Self emplyed? well it has its upsides and downsides. To bbe honest, if i ever got made redundant,i'd work in the black economy.

budwieser
26-05-2008, 14:35
I always wanted to be a condom tester but i found out i had to work a week in hand.! :D

Hugh
26-05-2008, 15:30
The best job is one which has a reasonable wage and conditions,one in which there is variety and change and you have a certain amount of control over what goes on. Job where you self manage are good i.e service type rolls where you go to different locations to carry out work for customers. IT ? I thought that was busted these days? The only well paid IT jobs are high level ones such as consultancy and programming etc etc.

Self emplyed? well it has its upsides and downsides. To bbe honest, if i ever got made redundant,i'd work in the black economy.
IT busted - nah.......

Permy salaries (in Yorkshire) - at my previous permy employer, and that 3 years ago
DBA - £30 - £40K
Oracle Developers £25 - £35k
Microsoft / Novell Second Line support £20 - £30k
Server / Unix bods - £30 - £40k
(add 5-10k on if you are a manager of the above).
Project Managers £35 - £45k
Department Head £45 - £55k

It's enough to live on...... :)

papa smurf
26-05-2008, 16:26

wot like change your name to pimp dawg bizzle, and become a rap star

budwieser
26-05-2008, 16:54
wot like change your name to pimp dawg bizzle, and become a rap star

:rofl:

skyblueheroes
30-05-2008, 21:17
IT jobs at the first or second support line are low paid atm due to there being so many.

Still, IT is the best way to go - its always going to be a popular market, and if you get the right skills, it helps you become very marketable.

wwe
22-04-2009, 03:56
hi all anyone know how to become a pilot my mate asked me today at work i said i dunno but ill try and find out

Mr_love_monkey
22-04-2009, 06:56
hi all anyone know how to become a pilot my mate asked me today at work i said i dunno but ill try and find out

I think you need to learn how to fly... fairly sure this will be a major role of the job

LondonRoad
22-04-2009, 08:15
I think you need to learn how to fly... fairly sure this will be a major role of the job

That's quite correct. Although they do make it easier by allowing you to use one of those aeroplane things;)