PDA

View Full Version : Cable ? wire help ?

Berealwith
13-05-2008, 20:41
Not knowing how to test my cable, the wire i mean. Due to road works in my street i would like to get confidence that my wire has not been damaged. Its the last thing to check for my slow speeds. If it can be done looking at my modem signals see below
Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
-1.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
42.7 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
42.0 dBmV

or do i need an engineerto come and do local tests ?

cheers

homealone
13-05-2008, 22:08
thos levels look fine

according to

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

I miss the 'ig' :)

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 22:26
Not knowing how to test my cable, the wire i mean. Due to road works in my street i would like to get confidence that my wire has not been damaged. Its the last thing to check for my slow speeds. If it can be done looking at my modem signals see below
Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
-1.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
42.7 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
42.0 dBmV

or do i need an engineerto come and do local tests ?

cheers

All power levels are within the Normal Parameters for a 20Mb connection on the Ex-Telewest Knowsley Network which you are on.

The is no need for a Engineer to be called out as long as the is no significant change or you loose connection.

Berealwith
13-05-2008, 22:38
Many thanks for the help..............i am on the preston UBR05........I kinda wish there was something wrong with it.........But a lass i have had give or take +/- 1 either way on those figures for as long as i can remember........It's all down to the High tx load on my UBR....this is sad as i have had enough of virgin and tomorrow i will sign up for a bt line

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 22:45
Many thanks for the help..............i am on the preston UBR05........I kinda wish there was something wrong with it.........But a lass i have had give or take +/- 1 either way on those figures for as long as i can remember........It's all down to the High tx load on my UBR....this is sad as i have had enough of virgin and tomorrow i will sign up for a bt line

Have you had problems with your 20Mb connection then?

Those figures you posted above are an almost perfect snapshot of the required power levels on the network.

Berealwith
13-05-2008, 22:58
To be honest i did know they were good i just wanted to check.....I have a LIVING HELL on my 20mb.......i just simply cannot take it any more........the last few days have tipped me over the edge i have had less than 1/2 meg, and newsgroups which kinda helpped give me a bit of light have also halved and that is that. What rubs salt in the wounds is i help many people in my neigbourhood at least 50 plus (most on adsl) and they all have a quicker connection that me................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......My back is broken

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 23:00
To be honest i did know they were good i just wanted to check.....I have a LIVING HELL on my 20mb.......i just simply cannot take it any more........the last few days have tipped me over the edge i have had less than 1/2 meg, and newsgroups which kinda helpped give me a bit of light have also halved and that is that. What rubs salt in the wounds is i help many people in my neigbourhood at least 50 plus (most on adsl) and they all have a quicker connection that me................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......My back is broken

Good luck with your new connection, check out BE they appear to have very good offers.

Berealwith
13-05-2008, 23:02
Yep thats the one................Now i need a rest .........ready for the phone calls tomorrow....this should "BE" fun

Mick Fisher
14-05-2008, 07:49
Be are a very nice Company to deal with but ultimately your service will depend on the quality of your BT phoneline and your distance from the exchange. :(

I hope it works out for you. :tu:

Berealwith
14-05-2008, 15:28
All done, all cancelled, .................................................. ... and now finishing work early..................Sun, a full tank of gas, time to ride,

Remember "4 Wheels move the body, 2 move the Soul"

Berealwith
14-05-2008, 19:39
If you check my post out on newsgroups (virginmedia.support.broadband)

this is my latest reply..........can anyone shed some light on this below posted text...

you had better have a good answer.........................i have just come
home from work and done my tests and after i have just cancelled all my
services with you. The speeds tests and newgroups speeds have all of a
sudden changed over night............

ie 10mb on the web and 2.35mb on newsgroups

web pages ae opening up like lighting.............after weeks/ months of
crap

all of a sudden it gets better WHY. i have changed nothing at my end

SO give me a good answer

AmAtoL
14-05-2008, 21:19
They're just messing with your head...

Berealwith
14-05-2008, 22:16
lol i would like to mess with someones head in Virgin.....update it was short lived, i didnt think it would last long after an hour back to slow virgin..........rgr over and out