PDA

View Full Version : VM mail blocked in Mexico?

psteel
12-05-2008, 20:52
Hi,

I go diving in Cozumel about twice a year. This is a small island just off Cancun, Mexico.

Whilst there I use the dive office network and ISP or the hotel network and ISP (Prodigy I believe) to retrieve my mail.

Last Feb and November I could not get my NTL or Tesco mail and the same again this April. All my other emails were fine, and in the end I had to resort to Gmail retrieving the mail for me, and downloading from there.

This was a right pain to say the least, and I was wondering if others had had this problem or knew why they appear to block Mexico or Prodigy.

Not even webmail would work on either mail as VM look after Tesco mail.

When the helpdesk number becomes free I'll call them about this. I cannot find any email address to send an email to.

TIA

punky
12-05-2008, 20:57
T'other half and I went to Cancun in Jan 07. She checked her VM Webmail account without any probs.

whydoIneedatech
12-05-2008, 22:27
Hi,

I go diving in Cozumel about twice a year. This is a small island just off Cancun, Mexico.

Whilst there I use the dive office network and ISP or the hotel network and ISP (Prodigy I believe) to retrieve my mail.

Last Feb and November I could not get my NTL or Tesco mail and the same again this April. All my other emails were fine, and in the end I had to resort to Gmail retrieving the mail for me, and downloading from there.

This was a right pain to say the least, and I was wondering if others had had this problem or knew why they appear to block Mexico or Prodigy.

It is most likely to be the settings on the PC you were using as Webmail is available on any PC anywhere in the world that has an Internet connection.

That is what you will be told if you ring up Tech Support.

When the helpdesk number becomes free I'll call them about this. I cannot find any email address to send an email to.

TIA

homealone
12-05-2008, 23:33
I'm not sure why you would find Gmail such a pain, in my experience setting my email accounts to forward messages to Gmail guarantees I can pick them up on the web ????

joglynne
13-05-2008, 00:27
I'm with homealone on this one. I have various email accounts, private, business, shopping and family, covering ntlworld & Hotmail. Googlemail makes it a doodle.

All my mail is picked up by Google and not only do I have the convenience of only having to go to the one site, Google shows any answers I make look as though they have been sent from the account they were originally sent to.

If any of that make an ounce of sense than I am astounded. I'm so tied my eyes are crossed. Goodnight all.

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 09:45
Hi,

TIA

The second time I have posted this did not notice my reply was missing.

The problem will be on the Computer you are using some kind of blocking software( Firewall or similar ) as Webmail is available on any Computer in the World with a Internet connection.

psteel
13-05-2008, 11:19
The computer is my own laptop. As soon as I reach the states the mail comes down.
I use Gmail for specific mail and would like to keep it that way.

Next time I'll try an Internet cafe or a non Prodigy user, and see if that is blocked.
I have no software on my laptop that blocks access to websites. I can get to the websites (both NTL and Tesco), just not log in and get my mail whilst in Cozumel. As soon as I get to the states, it all works.???

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 11:27
The computer is my own laptop. As soon as I reach the states the mail comes down.
I use Gmail for specific mail and would like to keep it that way.

Next time I'll try an Internet cafe or a non Prodigy user, and see if that is blocked.
I have no software on my laptop that blocks access to websites. I can get to the websites (both NTL and Tesco), just not log in and get my mail whilst in Cozumel. As soon as I get to the states, it all works.???

Then it is being blocked by Servers in Mexico, cannot be any other reason.