PDA

View Full Version : Can't get online with new Ambit modem

grahalex
11-05-2008, 20:10
My mother in law has had a V+ box fitted along with new modem, Ambit 256.Even though the engineer couldn't get online after fitting new modem he left saying she should contact help line as he couldn't sort it out.I rang them on her behalf as she's a bit deaf and after trying various things, disconnecting modem etc Virgin said her drivers need updating, a bit difficult when you can't get online !!
She has a USB to Ethernet convertor, but they said NIC drivers needed updating.Can anyone help please.

BenMcr
11-05-2008, 20:26
Are there 3 lights on the modem Sync, Ready and Power?

The only thing I can recommend is fit a proper NIC card.

The USB to E-net adapters can be more trouble than they are worth

grahalex
11-05-2008, 20:36
Yes there are 3 lights on, it tries to connect but says finding address and hangs.The USB- E-Net adapter worked fine with the old modem.

whydoIneedatech
11-05-2008, 20:51
Yes there are 3 lights on, it tries to connect but says finding address and hangs.The USB- E-Net adapter worked fine with the old modem.

The 256 is an Ethernet only modem and will not work with a adapter for it to work with USB it would require drivers, and the are no USB drivers available for that modem so you need to bin the adapter.

The only real solution is to go to your local PC store and purchase a Network Interface Card for around about £15 and install it, then she will get online.

BenMcr
11-05-2008, 21:14
I think what the OP is describing is something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-USB-100-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B000062R4P/ref=pd_sbs_ce_img_1

They were issued way back by ntl when they used to do STB broadband

grahalex
11-05-2008, 22:22
Thanks for that, will get Network card, will any do or do I neeed a specific type.It's a pity Virgin couldn't have told MIL that, would have saved a lot of aggro.

grahalex
13-05-2008, 15:17
Turns out mother in law had a network card, she got a visit from Virgin to make sure everything had been connected properly, he connected ethernet cable to PC, still no internet, he said he wasn't a computer technician and left.I went round today, network connection said cannot find IP address.Rang technical support again, they told me to unplug white cable from modem and power off modem then reconnect.Did that, still no good, she told me to reconfigure network connection did that, still no good.Then she said nothing wrong at there end must be a winsock file missing on PC.
Everything was ok with old modem, suddenly new one fitted and files are missing, I suspect modem is faulty, can any one help on this ?
Also I have heard on this forum of a direct number to helpline in UK, does anyone have this number ?

Jonnymeg
13-05-2008, 16:42
Was the modem connected via USB before?
Are you sure you are trying to connect via the ethernet card?

If is was usb delete all references to it form the network options in control panel.

grahalex
13-05-2008, 18:49
Hi Jonnymeg, yes it was connected by usb before, but I have only got Realtek RTL8139/8 10x familyfast ethernet NIC now.

grahalex
14-05-2008, 17:52
I'm just wondering why when MIL first got NTL Broadband they used USB convertor intsead of NIC connection, perhaps I need to install a new one, think the winsock idea Helpline came out with isn't right.

BenMcr
14-05-2008, 18:05
Because when NTL first started doing broadband they did it through the STB which only had a Ethernet connection.

However at the time most PCs did not have a ethernet card in them

grahalex
14-05-2008, 18:43
What I mean is MIL had an ethernet connection but NTL didn't use it, they used a ethernet to usb convertor.

BenMcr
14-05-2008, 18:45
*shrugs* prob just down to the tech defaulting to it

grahalex
14-05-2008, 19:08
Cheers BenMcr, what do you think about it being Winsock files missing ?

Peil
14-05-2008, 19:29
Is she running XP/Vista or something older?

Reason I ask is that Winsock has been used since Windows 98.

If it's XP, right click on My Computer, go to Manage. Then open the Device Manager and go to Network Adapters in the right hand pane.

See if the NIC is listed, if not try clicking the blue computer icon on the toolbar (says scan for hardware changes when you hover your mouse over it)

Once you've done that try opening a command prompt and type IPCONFIG

If nothing is showing there, IPCONFIG /RENEW should force a new DHCP lease, if it doesn't work, call em again.

grahalex
14-05-2008, 20:05
She is running XP Home,NIC is listed in device manager, the NIC leaflet she has says it's an SMC one and device manager says it's a Realtek RTL familyfast one.Done IPCONFIG, no joy.

moaningmags
14-05-2008, 23:49
If she has windows xp service pack 2
go to start run type cmd
ok that get black window
type netsh winsock reset
press enter
should get message saying successfully reset the winsock catalog you now need to restart your machine.
Reboot comp, a lot of the times this will fix the issue.
If service pack 1 you'll need a full winsock fix, the way to do it can be found on Microsoft.

HTH
Mags

grahalex
15-05-2008, 07:14
I have downloaded winsockxp fix, will this be ok to use ?

Also when I reset IP address it cam out starting 169. not 192.

Kymmy
15-05-2008, 14:18
For the latest drivers and winsock try here, remove and reinstall the card and drivers before doing anything else.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

If you're getting the 169.x.x.x ip that mewans it's not getting the IP address from the modem which probably should be a 82.x.x.x address (unless youre going through a router)

Try reseting the modem and then restarting the PC.

Kymmy

grahalex
15-05-2008, 17:01
Thanks for that Kymmy, do I need the auto installation (1st one )drivers or windows XP ( 3rd one ).

The connection isn't going through a router.

I have reset the modem, unplugged it, a couple of times, no luck,

Kymmy
15-05-2008, 19:07
The autoinstall ones normally install diagnostic and other things along with the drivers, the XP ones will be purely drivers...so take your choice

Kymmy

grahalex
16-05-2008, 07:17
Tried Moaningmags winsock reset without success, still getting IP addess starting 169.

Will try Kymys suggestion next time I'm at MIL's house.

Graham M
16-05-2008, 07:34
The 256 is an Ethernet only modem and will not work with a adapter for it to work with USB it would require drivers, and the are no USB drivers available for that modem so you need to bin the adapter.

The only real solution is to go to your local PC store and purchase a Network Interface Card for around about £15 and install it, then she will get online.

What a load of rubbish.

The USB Adaptor was/is just a Network Interface that plugs into the USB Port, I gave mine away to my granddad to network his 2 PCs as I just used a router from the start.

The OP has said there is already a network card in the PC so there is no need to go and buy another, if neither the USB Adapter nor the Network card has been able to pick up an IP address there is an apparent software issue.

Kymmy
16-05-2008, 09:42
You could also in the mean time try setting the IP address on the NIC to 192.168.100.2 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and then try talking to the modem by entering http://192.168.100.1 into the browser...If that works then the ethernet is fine and it's the dhcp on the modem not working.

Kymmy

grahalex
16-05-2008, 22:43
Hi Zeph, which software do you think needs sorting out ?

grahalex
20-05-2008, 20:14
Mother in law got a visit from a Vigin Media engineer yesterday, fitted a new modem, still couldn't get online, he said modem was too far away from PC.PC is upstairs, modem is downstairs next to V+ box.It's connected to PC by Ethernet cable, going out of house, up the side of house and in upstairs.The old modem worked ok with this set up, the engineer said he would have to fit a white cable modem cable upstairs for it to work. He was in a bit of a rush and left it at that. What do you think about this idea ?

Jonnymeg
20-05-2008, 20:41
Mother in law got a visit from a Vigin Media engineer yesterday, fitted a new modem, still couldn't get online, he said modem was too far away from PC.PC is upstairs, modem is downstairs next to V+ box.It's connected to PC by Ethernet cable, going out of house, up the side of house and in upstairs.The old modem worked ok with this set up, the engineer said he would have to fit a white cable modem cable upstairs for it to work. He was in a bit of a rush and left it at that. What do you think about this idea ?

Can't see it. i think he was stumped too.

What area do you live in?

grahalex
20-05-2008, 20:48
Leeds

Stuart
20-05-2008, 22:03

Probably not true (although that doesn't help). Given a good quality cable, Ethernet is designed to work with lengths of up to 100 metres. The standard specifies this. Given good conditions and excellent quality cable, it can go to 120 or 130 metres.

Even on cheap cables, I've seen Ethernet working over lengths of 20-30 metres.

grahalex
21-05-2008, 04:49
By the sound of it he was miffed because he kept having to go upstairs to PC and back down to do unplug/plug in cables, just like I've been doing everytime I have rung help desk.

grahalex
23-05-2008, 16:41
Mother in law rang Virgin today and told them she was sick of having no internet and wanted to leave them.They put her on to English tech help who, after various tests, said the problem was her network card, which is a SMC one, was being recognised as a realteak one.Her computer is confused and thats why she can't get online.Prior to the new modem being installed there was no problem with connection.They have replaced modem, but have told her to take it to a computer technician.I've uninstalled network card and restarted PC, it finds NIC and loads drivers, Realtek ones .Does this sound right ?

Jonnymeg
23-05-2008, 16:50
Do you have a good connection to the modem?

Does the 'enet' light light on the modem?
In control panel > network connection does the ethernet card show as connected?

grahalex
23-05-2008, 18:09
Yes to both questions

Jonnymeg
23-05-2008, 18:55
Yes to both questions

if you type 192.168.100.1 do you get into the modem config pages?

grahalex
23-05-2008, 19:27
Have to try it when I'm at MIL's next

If I could get into config page what could I do ?

monkey2468
23-05-2008, 20:36
Login with username:root password:root. If you can login, network card is working. If you can login, goto config page, downstream page, upstream page and post the results here.

Jonnymeg
23-05-2008, 22:44
Have to try it when I'm at MIL's next

If I could get into config page what could I do ?

Not a lot but it will tell us if the pc is talking to the modem ok.

cleshe
24-05-2008, 11:08
My mother in law has had a V+ box fitted along with new modem, Ambit 256.Even though the engineer couldn't get online after fitting new modem he left saying she should contact help line as he couldn't sort it out.I rang them on her behalf as she's a bit deaf and after trying various things, disconnecting modem etc Virgin said her drivers need updating, a bit difficult when you can't get online !!
She has a USB to Ethernet convertor, but they said NIC drivers needed updating.Can anyone help please.

Pm me your email address, I'll send you the driver you need for your ethernet card.Conversely, go to realtec , and download it yourself.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Mother in law rang Virgin today and told them she was sick of having no internet and wanted to leave them.They put her on to English tech help who, after various tests, said the problem was her network card, which is a SMC one, was being recognised as a realteak one.Her computer is confused and thats why she can't get online.Prior to the new modem being installed there was no problem with connection.They have replaced modem, but have told her to take it to a computer technician.I've uninstalled network card and restarted PC, it finds NIC and loads drivers, Realtek ones .Does this sound right ?

Having just read all of your post, you could have the wrong driver for your card.Install PC wizard (free download) and run it. That should tell you the make and model of your ethernet card.I had a similar problem some time ago with a card wrongly identified as a Realtec one when it wasn't.The realtec driver would not work. I had to google for the correct one.In the end I did get it to work, but finding the driver was not easy

In all honesty it could be easier to buy a new card complete with drivers, and swap it over.
Here's one from Overclockers. It costs very little.I'm sure you would find something similar at a local computer shop. That particular one is £7.04 plus postage.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-024-DL&groupid=46&catid=1002&subcat=&name=D-Link%20DFE-530TX%20Desktop%20PCI%20Network%20Adapter

To add to the above:- I had a look at the SMC site. If you can see the ID number on the card it would help with the download of drivers. Unfortunately they seem to have a fair few drivers and no way of identifying which you would need except by model number.

Slyder
24-05-2008, 16:20
I reckon if there is a distance between the modem and the computer, it might be an idea to make a new line close to the computer like the one of the engineers suggested. I know ethernet can go upto 100meters but I feel all think all the avenues have been explored.

There isnt a break in the ethernet cable is there.? :confused:

grahalex
24-05-2008, 17:28
Mil really sick of having no internet access now, I put her a new Network card in with new drivers, but again her PC called it Realtek. After I put it in fired it up, no internet, but enet light on modem wasn't lit. Enet light came back on after I left, still couldn't get online.So she took it to local PC shop, he had it connected to internet no probelm.She got it home again no internet, I asked her to type in 192.168.100.1, nothing came up.At the moment the enet light comes on every now and then, but the in & out lights aren't lit.Man from PC shop is going to come round tonight hopefully to sort it out.I bet all along it's been a bad install from Virgin, apparently engineer was only there 20 minutes and second one put new modem in and left, 5 minutes all in.Very frustrating.

Jonnymeg
24-05-2008, 19:21
Mil really sick of having no internet access now, I put her a new Network card in with new drivers, but again her PC called it Realtek. After I put it in fired it up, no internet, but enet light on modem wasn't lit. Enet light came back on after I left, still couldn't get online.So she took it to local PC shop, he had it connected to internet no probelm.She got it home again no internet, I asked her to type in 192.168.100.1, nothing came up.At the moment the enet light comes on every now and then, but the in & out lights aren't lit.Man from PC shop is going to come round tonight hopefully to sort it out.I bet all along it's been a bad install from Virgin, apparently engineer was only there 20 minutes and second one put new modem in and left, 5 minutes all in.Very frustrating.

It's starting to sound like a cabling issue between the modem and the PC. Have you tried moving the PC near the modem and using a different cable?

grahalex
24-05-2008, 19:51
Local PC shop man has just left MIL's, he says nothing wrong with her PC, ethernet cable worked fine with old modem so nothing wrong with that, either 2nd modem is faulty, internet was down in area when it was fitted so couldn't be tested or installation wasn't done right. Tech guy from Swansea ringing on monday.

grahalex
30-05-2008, 10:41
UPDATE . Engineer came round spent 2 hours at MIL's, moved modem nearer PC, put new cable in, fiddled with settings on computer, still no joy.
MIL rang help line again, was put through to Swansea, got a call back from one of top tech guys.He spent ages getting her to try various different things and still no good.He says he's baffled and is sending another engineer round, this time with a laptop to see if that can connect to internet.She's now had a month without internet access.

Tali
03-06-2008, 08:11
From what I can gather reading other posts, if the fault is proven to be Virgin, you should be able to ask for a refund of broadband charges when it has been fixed. I know that it doesn't completely make up for the loss of service, but it should ease the pain a little.

grahalex
03-06-2008, 18:44
Already got £20 credit and all call charges to call centre refunded.

Tali
04-06-2008, 08:52
When you said:

ethernet cable worked fine with old modem

could it not be the cable that has broken and not the fact that the first modem stopped working?

When the engineer moved the modem upstairs, did he use a new ethernet lead too?

To test if the modem is working and talking to the PC, you could disconnect the incoming cable from the modem and just have the modem powered up and connected to the PC via the ethernet lead. I *think* this should work and give you a 192.168.*.* address. Just something else to try :)

grahalex
09-06-2008, 01:57
Well finally the problem has been solved, Engineer turned up with laptop and he got online, tried MiL's PC,no connection, but he said his laptop could pick up a signal even if it was very weak.He said something not right and asked another Engineer to call round, after trying various things 2nd engineer said he would move modem upstairs and put new cable in, which he did and hey presto, it worked.He said when he went to put new coax cable in at box on wall there was a split in it and that was causing the fault.

moaningmags
09-06-2008, 11:33
Woohooo glad it's sorted, make sure she is refunded for no broadband service.
Also if she paid for the install that should be refunded too as it was a failed install.