PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe ghosts exist?

wwe
10-05-2008, 01:15
Question for you all do you belive ghosts exist?

Delta Whiskey
10-05-2008, 07:08
No. The human mind is very capable of inventing imaginary things and putting extraordinary connotations onto very ordinary occurrences.

Noggo
10-05-2008, 08:04
There have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code, that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul. Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote... of a soul?

hehehe.

Yes I do. I was over at a mates house a few years ago, I thought I saw someone walking down the garden path, then across the back of the house to the back door. I went over to the back door, opened it and there was nobody there. It wasn't until I say something, I found out it's happened before on a many occasions. Without mentioning what the person looked like, she got described to a tee. Plus in the same house in the 2nd receiption room the curtain has been moved like someone has parted it to walk through. I'm not talking a little movement either, it moved a good foot and an half just like you or I would do to move it out of the way to walk through. The curtains are in the position of an old doorway which has been blocked up for 50 years or so. Tell ya some scary sh*t goes on in that house.

dilli-theclaw
10-05-2008, 08:12
I seem to remember answering this before, mmnnm.

Anyway no I don't, but I do believe people see 'apparitions' and odd things I just don't think they are ghosts.

Enuff
10-05-2008, 08:44
I hope they exist, cos i'm dead set on coming back and scaring the **** out of Harry Hill, the cast of Corry and that Alan (irritating) Carr from the Friday Night Project!

And many, many more.

Russ
10-05-2008, 09:42

I believe evil spirts exist but do I believe people who have died are able to 'come back'? Not in a millions years.

Nidge
10-05-2008, 10:15
I believe in ghosts the reason being I've seen one. Many years ago when I was on the taxis in Sutton In Ashfield I was working late one Boxing day night, I was given a job to take some customers from Sutton in Ashfield to Ravenshead, I dropped them off and set back on my way to Sutton in Ashfield.

I was travelling down Blidworth Road when I noticed this woman stood at the side of the road near a bus stop, this bus stop was at the end of a Hospital drive, the hospital was called Newstead Hospital, it's used to be a psychiatric hospital.

When I approached the bus stop the woman walked to the side of the road and put her hand out, now this was 4am in the morning, I thought she was a nurse at the hospital, I pulled in and she got in the back of the car, "she said I want to go to Sutton in Ashfield please". I set off to wards Sutton in Ashfield, on the way there is a set of traffic lights outside Coxmoor Golf club which were on green, I went through the lights, when I got through the lights I looked in my rear view mirror to find the woman had gone, when I realised she'd gone the car went freezing cold. I didn't know what to do I just put my foot down and raced back to Sutton in Ashfield, I went back into the cab office and the lad on the desk said Jesus Nidge you look like you've seen a ghost, I said Noddy I have seen a ghost I've just had one in the back of my car, I told him what happened and his face was motionless.

A reporter from one of the local papers wanted to run a story on what happened, I told them the whole story for them to print it. When the paper came out I got phone calls from all over the country from people who'd experienced the same thing in the same area. O

I call I got was from a lorry driver from down south, he'd been driving along the A60 when he noticed a woman stood at the side of the road, he stopped and asked her if everything was OK as it was the middle of the night? She said can you take me home please my car has broken down? He said yes no problem where do you live? She said I'll show you. Off he went with the woman in his lorry, she directed him to where she lived, when he pulled up outside the house she said can you go and tell my dad that I've broken down please? He said of course, he went to the house and knocked on the door, a man answered the door and the lorry driver said sorry to bother you but I've got your daughter in the cab her car has broken down on the A60 she's a bit upset, the girls father stood there motionless and said my daughter has been dead 10 years, the lorry driver said I've got her in my cab, he described her to the man at the door, he said yes that's my daughter, they went to the lorry and opened the door to find there was no one in the cab.

Another call I got was from a bus driver, he was working late one rainy night, he was on the last run from Nottingham to Mansfield along the A60, he pulled up at a stop because a woman was stood there, the driver told her to sit down and pay him when they got to Mansfield, the woman went upstairs. The driver pulled into Mansfield bus Station the driver was filling in his sheet when he thought about the woman upstairs, he went upstairs to find no one there only a puddle of water where this woman was sat, there was on one on the last bus only the driver and this woman. He didn't say anything to anyone at the bus depot until one of the other drivers slipped something out about the same thing that had happened to him a few months earlier.

You see that's why I believe in ghosts.:shocked:

bopdude
10-05-2008, 10:17
I seem to remember answering this before, mmnnm.

Anyway no I don't, but I do believe people see 'apparitions' and odd things I just don't think they are ghosts.

I seem to remember a thread about this, ages ago :shrug:

EDIT: yep here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/8323-do-ghosts-exist.html) it is, from 2004

I believe evil spirts exist but do I believe people who have died are able to 'come back'? Not in a millions years.

What would happen after the million years was up, would there be a flood of ghosties world wide, that might get peoples spirits up :dozey: :p:

WHISTLED
10-05-2008, 10:29
but do I believe people who have died are able to 'come back'? Not in a millions years There goes the Christian faith then.....

Russ
10-05-2008, 10:54
I seem to remember a thread about this, ages ago :shrug:

EDIT: yep here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/8323-do-ghosts-exist.html) it is, from 2004

What would happen after the million years was up, would there be a flood of ghosties world wide, that might get peoples spirits up :dozey: :p:

We'll meet up in a million years and discuss it ;)

KaySquirrel
10-05-2008, 11:16

Just to clarify because I'm curious (nosy): You're using ghosts to mean spirits of people in this case? So you believe that things are out there, but they're not 'human' spirits? If I'm understanding you right, that's a viewpoint I've not seen before.. On the plus side, it would mean that anything odd out there wouldn't be the spirit of someone's relative, which is good because they should have something 'better' do to after death than just wander around on earth.

On the bad side, it would mean that anything odd seen isn't (wasn't) human at some point.. and I think that's a little scarier! :erm:

I do believe in ghosts/spirits/apparitions/unseelies/whatever you want to call them, but I don't go as far as to guess what they are (or were). It makes no difference anyway as I've never seen anything weird. Odd sounds/feelings, sure. But seeing somethere there that shouldn't be there? Nope. :( Sometimes it feels like the best way to never get startled by things that go bump in the night is to believe in them. :rolleyes:

Nidge those stories are spooky. Did you believe in ghosts before the first story happened to you?

frogstamper
10-05-2008, 11:22
Absolutely not, as much as I don't believe in fairies or ghouls and goblins or religion.

what?
10-05-2008, 12:11
i used to really beleive in ghost.
though i seen a couple a few years back, and got a few cold shivers when in places that are supposedly haunted. its a strange one, because i speak to people i trust with my life who tell me stories about ghost they've seen and heard that would prove ghosts to be true, but i still cant bring myself to believe it anymore.
i cant help but think its their mind playing tricks on them, or possibly someone else playing a trick on them.
think that rediculous show "most haunted" helped to rid me of the belief, and that derek acorah, what a bloody idiot!!

dilli-theclaw
10-05-2008, 12:35
I don't doubt people see things, but I think of them as more of a temporal thing, seeing the past, present or future intersecting with now if you like.

Anyway that's just the way I personally see it.

Just to clarify because I'm curious (nosy): You're using ghosts to mean spirits of people in this case? So you believe that things are out there, but they're not 'human' spirits? If I'm understanding you right, that's a viewpoint I've not seen before.. On the plus side, it would mean that anything odd out there wouldn't be the spirit of someone's relative, which is good because they should have something 'better' do to after death than just wander around on earth.

On the bad side, it would mean that anything odd seen isn't (wasn't) human at some point.. and I think that's a little scarier! :erm:

I do believe in ghosts/spirits/apparitions/unseelies/whatever you want to call them, but I don't go as far as to guess what they are (or were). It makes no difference anyway as I've never seen anything weird. Odd sounds/feelings, sure. But seeing somethere there that shouldn't be there? Nope. :( Sometimes it feels like the best way to never get startled by things that go bump in the night is to believe in them. :rolleyes:

Nidge those stories are spooky. Did you believe in ghosts before the first story happened to you?

Graham M
10-05-2008, 12:40
There goes the Christian faith then.....

Why do you say that?

bringerofnoise
10-05-2008, 13:01
Not actually seen a ghost, but i did see a poltergeist in action twice.

Firstly when i was at Eastglade Junior School many years a go now lol me and a friend was told to sort out the sports storage area, we put all the basket/netball balls on the upward facing shelves (made so balls cannot roll off) put the hoops away as well as some other stuff.

All of a sudden one by one the basketballs/netballs flew off the shelves with force enough to it the other side of the storage room proper scary at that moment one of the teachers bit of an evil bugger came round the corner he went white and was screaming run run run.

Secondly about 1994 me and a mate went to london we was in kings cross station in a shop looking at some magazines(metal hammer and the like lol) no kidding a pile of mags on the shelves fell to the floor in an acordian type effect each mag landing perfectly sqaurely ontop of each other, we stood staring at the books on the floor and then decided it would be a good time to make a tactical retreat out of there.

Jules
10-05-2008, 13:24
I believe in ghosts

Hugh
10-05-2008, 13:59
I see dead people..........

Maggy
10-05-2008, 14:34
Coggy gets out the deckchair,a long tall cool one and a nutritionally sound snack bar and waits for the arg...er discussion to errr erupt.:)

tucker61
10-05-2008, 15:13
why not turn it into a proper vote. Apparently when I was younger I had a conversation and a game of darts with a ghost once. Streetbridge inn, outside Manchester , local was killed outside, years later I stayed over 1 night and played darts with his ghost. Too many people confirmed it to me

bw41101
10-05-2008, 16:05
They say that the eyes are the windows of the soul and if you have ever witnessed death (as I have) you'll understand this statement. I believe that when a person (or indeed any living entity) dies their life force moves on/dissipates or whatever you like to call it. You can clearly see this in the eyes, it is a change that for the onlooker can be quite dramatic and disturbing. :erm:

I can remember someone I once knew who (in life) was so vibrant that if you had ever met her in person you'd certainly not forget in a hurry. This was clearly visible in her face and especially her eyes and when she died the immediate physical change was unmistakable - I know, because I (like many other of her friends) was there when she died - with her eyes open - you could clearly see that something had gone, it was like looking into an empty shell - .:shocked:

This is even noticeable in photographs, as the effect (in life and in death) is exactly the same.

As for the question of ghosts, it may well be that when a person dies their life energy may pass on to a different plane of existence which may (on occasion) given the right circumstances become manifest in our world - appearing as spirits/ghosts etc.

I'd like to think that we all move on to a different existence when we die, but (as of yet) there's no proof to corroborate same, so until that happens one can only speculate.

Si thee.

KaySquirrel
10-05-2008, 16:32
I don't doubt people see things, but I think of them as more of a temporal thing, seeing the past, present or future intersecting with now if you like.

Ah, that's a possibility I hadn't considered!

Coggy gets out the deckchair,a long tall cool one and a nutritionally sound snack bar and waits for the arg...er discussion to errr erupt.:)

Nutritionally sound snack bar? Well here's the first argument starting! ;) I'll be way over here with my campfire and smores, in the nutritionally unsound snacking zone. :p:

This is even noticeable in photographs, as the effect (in life and in death) is exactly the same.

As for the question of ghosts, it may well be that when a person dies their life energy may pass on to a different plane of existence which may (on occasion) given the right circumstances become manifest in our world - appearing as spirits/ghosts etc.

I'd like to think that we all move on to a different existence when we die, but (as of yet) there's no proof to corroborate same, so until that happens one can only speculate.

On a very slow overnight shift years ago, while looking for old photographs to see the clothes people used to wear, my coworker and I stumbled upon a site of Victorian death photos. We couldn't figure out what was 'off' about the pics until we realized what we were actually looking at. There's definitely that.. something.. missing from those.

I hope we go somewhere when we die, too. I think it'd be a shame if this was all there was. Not sure if I'd want to be able to interact with the living, most accounts of sightings seem to cause witnesses more distress than anything.

Central
11-05-2008, 00:38
I do in a sense believe in ghosts. But I also think if someone goes to a well known haunted property then there mind will play tricks as they are hoping to see something.

I dislike mirrors at night to as I worry about whats looking back at me. A few times while in derelict buildings I have gone around the corner to find myself infront of a mirror. Needless to say I jumped a mile :D

Sirius
11-05-2008, 09:21
Have a look at this and see what you think

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb9_1210435814

tweetypie/8
11-05-2008, 09:39

yes i do.

Noggo
11-05-2008, 09:52
lol at the granny ghost, nice 1 Sirius. Where's Yvette Fielding when you need her.

Ave a look at this one on the same site;
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce2_1209311119

frogstamper
11-05-2008, 11:10
why not turn it into a proper vote. Apparently when I was younger I had a conversation and a game of darts with a ghost once. Streetbridge inn, outside Manchester , local was killed outside, years later I stayed over 1 night and played darts with his ghost. Too many people confirmed it to me

And this was in a pub eh....;)

lol at the granny ghost, nice 1 Sirius. Where's Yvette Fielding when you need her.

Ave a look at this one on the same site;
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce2_1209311119

Nearly gave me a bloody heart attack...

tucker61
11-05-2008, 20:32
And this was in a pub eh....

Yeah, I was about 7 at the time.

frogstamper
11-05-2008, 20:44
Yeah, I was about 7 at the time.

OK fair enough, I assumed you might have had a bit to much jungle juice.;)

Noggo
12-05-2008, 16:05
check out this cctv ghost;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQS-0ZOMcg

kryogenik
12-05-2008, 16:15

Don't tell me - another 'funny' ghost video.
:rolleyes:

Central
12-05-2008, 23:48

Jesus that nostalgic :D

AntiSilence
12-05-2008, 23:53

No.

Watching You
13-05-2008, 10:43
Hi all,

I am not sure if ghosts exist or not …. but do I believe in ghosts…yes and the reason why is this true story that happened to me back in the early 1990s.

There we all were all bright & happy, no global warming or congestion charging in London under another Conservative government that looked like they were going to be in power for the next 1000 years. (OK so that bit is not really true).

Anyway in my youth I used to work in a London football ground. There were a couple of toilets (Americans say bathrooms), male and female, that we used that were very strange. For example when you were using these toilets hand dryers would automatically cut on and off in quick succession for two seconds, always when your back was turned – never in front. However, you could explain this away by saying maybe someone was playing a prank on you, but no matter how hard we tried we could never get the hand drier to cut on and off like that, because it would run for its full cycle of 15 – 20 seconds.

When women were using the bathroom they would say that not only would the hand drier go on and off but it seemed like someone was trying the door. In fact one woman was so paranoid about these happening that she would not use the bathroom unless someone was standing outside the toilet male or female she didn’t mind as long as she was not alone in there. Typically these things would not happen until it was at dusk in the winter months, at around 3pm and onwards – never in the day time.

These hand-driers were actually changed twice and no one could figure out why they kept doing this. These same hand driers worked perfectly elsewhere in the stadium but only played up in this particular location and the problem only arose after dark.

At that time I had an ambivalent view towards all this about ghosts in the toilets, until one evening in late October whilst it was dark, I was trying to use the toilet when I could not go, despite bursting to go, it felt like someone was standing there beside me watching, I could sense a presence despite there being no one else in there but me - guys may know what I mean. I tried and tried and could not go for a few minutes, then the hand dryer went off twice. With that I promptly came out of there and left the place and went on a fence in the car park where I was able to go no problem whatsoever.

I am not sure if this proves anything, but as to add some background to this story, in this toilet a guy passed away with a heart attack. It seems during the excitement of watching his team either win or loose, he found the only quietest places he could and went and sat in the toilet and passed away there, he was not found until after the match had finished - dead.

On top of this, in the days before security cameras the night time security guard, who was known for liking the odd drink fell down some steps after a session in the pub one night, in the same stand and died.

So do I believe in ghosts, yes I do and I can certainly recommend you somewhere not to use the toilets especially after dark.

Russ
13-05-2008, 10:50
in this toilet a guy passed away with a heart attack. It seems during the excitement of watching his team either win or loose, he found the only quietest places he could and went and sat in the toilet and passed away there, he was not found until after the match had finished - dead.

A bit like Elvis?

TheDaddy
14-05-2008, 17:05
I believe in ghosts the reason being I've seen one.

Me to:

Years ago we were on a camp for inner city kids in the countryside near Colchester, me and a mate stayed up watching a meteor shower when we saw a yellow glow coming from near the tents on the other side of the field, near a tent where a lot of our friends were sleeping, the glow disappeared after a short period and we went back to watching the meteors and eventually fell asleep.

In the morning at breakfast before either of us had mentioned the ghostly glow to anyone a friend who was sleeping in that tent came over and explained a strange dream he had the night before, he dreamt of a woman dressed in yellow who came in his tent, my friend and I literally shat ourselves and went and told the camp priest, he told us that woman in question was a common visitor to the site when children were there, apparently she was a nanny and over a hundred years before she drowned in the river near the camp trying to save a child and simply goes into the tents tucking the children in and if any wake up, she disappears.

kayagisselle
15-05-2008, 11:29
yes,i hope ghost exists .So i won't go lonely in night to anywhere...

...because i am afraid to ghost ...

Some accident in my life shows that ghost is exists....