PDA

View Full Version : Did I Make A Big Mistake

alderney1965dk
09-05-2008, 23:07
Did I make a big mistake !!! I THINK SO YES

Yesterday I had Virgin Media 3 for £30 installed, all went fine and dandy apart from the mess the installer left. Anyway I hook up my PC to the modem via ethernet and horray I am online. No need as far as I am aware of to register any details as I gained access straight away. NOW THE FUN STARTS. Accessing the VIrgin homepage to set up my emails and so forth, I have now given up as the service obviously does not work properly as it keeps saying I need a username, I have one for crying out loud, but it keeps saying I need a new one ! So I try to put a new one in and it says yet again that I need a username for my email, I thought I had just done that.
So I contact customer care I eventually get through after listening to that awful robotic voice telling me of all the options I have, they said they could not help, and told me to contact the 0906 tech support line, I got through to some kind of bizarre species who said my services had been disconnected and no MAC address had been given to my modem, funny that I am on the phone to him and on the Internet at the same time, so unsure what he means by that. He then said he could not help and to contact customer care. So I contacted customer care again and rather than listening to that god awful automated system, I kept pressing 0's as this confuses the system and puts you at the top of the queue and you get connected straight away.

I told the lad what the technical support chap had said and he said that was crap as he could see all services were live and active, so he put me through to the technical support team in Swansea, he walked me through it and I eventually got my username up and running and reset my password for me. I then try to make another email for my partner and guess what, it starts all over again, saying I need a username for MY account, did I not just say I have one. Anyway after four more telephone calls and still no luck, I have decided to call it a day. As my installation was yesterday, under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 Act, I have no choice but to contact them before Thursday next to cancel my account and collect there goods.

I will go back to where I was before, at least being with Sky was less hassle, there is a reason in my madness
:dunce:

chickendippers
09-05-2008, 23:11
You have 30 (or is it 28?) days under Virgin Media's money back guarantee to cancel.

alderney1965dk
09-05-2008, 23:19
Thank you chickendippers, was not sure how long as, ai it was only installed on the 8th and recieved paperwork of which is not yet signed and will not be until something is done quickly.

I will wait till Tuesday at the latest then on the fone to them to cancel and collect there gear.

BenMcr
09-05-2008, 23:20
It is 28 days

Raistlin
10-05-2008, 07:56
I believe you may be on slightly dodgy ground if you continue to use the service that you're rejecting during that time though, which effectively leaves you with no Internet.

Obviously if you continue to use the service then Virgin may well be entitled to consider that a) you have accepted the contract, and b) you are obligated to pay for what you've used.

Jonnymeg
10-05-2008, 08:57
You have a few teething problems thats all. Get it sorted and you will be fine.
VM cable broadband is FAR superior to ADSL with Sky or anyone else. You would be daft to quit it.

webcrawler2050
10-05-2008, 11:18
Ive know the WM Modems to randomly drop their settings, its very strange. Mine did the other day, quick call to Tech Support, they sorted it & refunded the call cost.

As well, it just some minor teething problems, You need to seriously think about this. Do you want cheap or do you want quality? If the answer is cheap then go to the likes of Tiscali if you want quality stay with VM.

Distance Selling Regulations 2000 Act

It has nothing to do with this - its just a few niggles. This really annoys me, when people moan like this and quote stupid regulations! Yes you do have 28 days to cancel, however, as far as VM are concerned, you have been using the service and will charge you for it.

Maybe you need to wind your neck in a little bit and go back to the likes of Tiscali & Sky, where they oversellf to hell!

/ Rant over

BenMcr
10-05-2008, 11:27
If you disconnect under the 28 day money back guarantee Virgin will credit all service charges.

The only thing you will have to pay for is phone calls and PPV events

lostandconfused
10-05-2008, 16:09
I would suggest not using a VM email adress anyway.

If at somepoint in the future you decide to move to another provider, you lose the email adress and have all the hassle of informing everyone of the change.

Use a web based one like googlemail or even hotmail as its not tied into your ISP

the-cable-guy
12-05-2008, 00:31
Thank you chickendippers, was not sure how long as, ai it was only installed on the 8th and recieved paperwork of which is not yet signed and will not be until something is done quickly.

I will wait till Tuesday at the latest then on the fone to them to cancel and collect there gear.

iv never received any paperwork to sign from VM :dunce:

Jonnymeg
12-05-2008, 08:06
iv never received any paperwork to sign from VM :dunce:

Paper contracts are not required anymore. Just accepting someone into your house to fit a system and using it is as good as a signature.
Many companies do not issue contracts anymore.

the-cable-guy
12-05-2008, 10:41
yeah but iv been with Telewest for just under two years & i was with NTL before that & neither sent me anything to sign.

Jonnymeg
12-05-2008, 13:23
yeah but iv been with Telewest for just under two years & i was with NTL before that & neither sent me anything to sign.

i refer the honorable gentleman to the answer i gave previously.

BenMcr
12-05-2008, 13:38
Virgin DO issue contracts now when you take out new services, or move house

If you add services with a bundle you will get a 'Welcome to your new contract' letter

the-cable-guy
12-05-2008, 14:20
i added new services only a few months ago & VM never sent me owt.

Jonathan90
12-05-2008, 15:43
Lmao "if you want quality stay with vm" omfg are u serious quality and vm do not be seen in the same sentence lol

back on topic like people say jsut phone them up tell them your problem

the-cable-guy
13-05-2008, 01:57
Lmao "if you want quality stay with vm" omfg are u serious quality and vm do not be seen in the same sentence lol

you can say that again :dunce:

webcrawler2050
13-05-2008, 10:52

back on topic like people say jsut phone them up tell them your problem

This is of your personal opinion as the same as mine. I personally have had nothing be greatness from VM - I constantly get my full 20MB :shocked: Yes I know!

yorkshireborn
18-05-2008, 16:01
Did I make a big mistake !!! I THINK SO YES

Yesterday I had Virgin Media 3 for £30 installed, all went fine and dandy apart from the mess the installer left. Anyway I hook up my PC to the modem via ethernet and horray I am online. No need as far as I am aware of to register any details as I gained access straight away. NOW THE FUN STARTS. Accessing the VIrgin homepage to set up my emails and so forth, I have now given up as the service obviously does not work properly as it keeps saying I need a username, I have one for crying out loud, but it keeps saying I need a new one ! So I try to put a new one in and it says yet again that I need a username for my email, I thought I had just done that.
So I contact customer care I eventually get through after listening to that awful robotic voice telling me of all the options I have, they said they could not help, and told me to contact the 0906 tech support line, I got through to some kind of bizarre species who said my services had been disconnected and no MAC address had been given to my modem, funny that I am on the phone to him and on the Internet at the same time, so unsure what he means by that. He then said he could not help and to contact customer care. So I contacted customer care again and rather than listening to that god awful automated system, I kept pressing 0's as this confuses the system and puts you at the top of the queue and you get connected straight away.

I told the lad what the technical support chap had said and he said that was crap as he could see all services were live and active, so he put me through to the technical support team in Swansea, he walked me through it and I eventually got my username up and running and reset my password for me. I then try to make another email for my partner and guess what, it starts all over again, saying I need a username for MY account, did I not just say I have one. Anyway after four more telephone calls and still no luck, I have decided to call it a day. As my installation was yesterday, under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 Act, I have no choice but to contact them before Thursday next to cancel my account and collect there goods.

I will go back to where I was before, at least being with Sky was less hassle, there is a reason in my madness
:dunce:

same for me i gave up trying to set one up so just use my old email addy for everything.

i wont cancel because i wont get a better speed anywhere else and at the moment ive had no other problems

the-cable-guy
18-05-2008, 16:29
This is of your personal opinion as the same as mine. I personally have had nothing be greatness from VM - I constantly get my full 20MB :shocked: Yes I know!

:rolleyes: you must be one of the only ones that has then :dunce:

Hugh
18-05-2008, 16:32
There are a few - I am happy with my constant 4Mb and my V+ works fine.

SnoopZ
18-05-2008, 16:58
:rolleyes: you must be one of the only ones that has then :dunce:

I get full speed on 20mbit too and always have done, and i'm happy with the TV XL pack which only costs me £1 a month for life.

the-cable-guy
19-05-2008, 20:15
iv had nowt but trouble with my internet. it took NTL, Telewest, NTL/Telewest & VM almost two years to be able to give me a connection thats on 24/7 without cutting out at least five times a day.