PDA

View Full Version : Ntl:250 no connection, sync light flashes

octave
08-05-2008, 17:52
I am experiencing a problem with Virgin Media. We are living in a rented house in Oxford (Cowley Road) and VM (I believe this is the cable service) is registered in the name of a housemate who is currently away for a month.

The VM connection has been intermittent for the past few months with frequent disconnection, sometimes as many as 4-5 times a day. Sometimes this will auto reconnect after 2-3 seconds but most other times it will need manual reboot of modem and wireless router.

We recently moved both modem and wireless router to an open area where people in the house can do manual reboot easily. This involved getting a longer cable (10metres) to link from the NTL box. We are not sure if this is coincident, but we experienced the rather more frequent problem of disconnection. Also, at this time, sometimes it would not just be working at all for a day, not even after manual reboot. The latest incident is still ongoing.

When we got this problem, the 'sync' light would just flash fast and no other light is showing except the steady 'enet' one when we connect modem to the router. The 'ready' light is not there either, not even flashing.

Could anyone suggest what we should go about this problem? We suspected it could be the replacement cable but then we could not explain why the length would have been the issue. Any possible solution appreciated.

Axegrinder
08-05-2008, 17:57

Then in the top left corner click login, it will prompt you for a username and password, these are both "root" without quotes.

Then post your downsream and upstream power levels, which shouldnt be too had to find. ;)

cleshe
08-05-2008, 18:00
I am experiencing a problem with Virgin Media. We are living in a rented house and VM is registered in the name of a housemate who is currently away for a month.

The VM connection has been intermittent for the past few months with frequent disconnection, sometimes as many as 4-5 times a day. Sometimes this will auto reconnect after 2-3 seconds but most other times it will need manual reboot of modem and wireless router.

We recently moved both modem and wireless router to an open area where people in the house can do manual reboot easily. This involved getting a longer cable (10metres) to link from the NTL box. We are not sure if this is coincident, but we experienced the rather more frequent problem of disconnection. Also, at this time, sometimes it would not just be working at all for a day, not even after manual reboot. The latest incident is still ongoing.

When we got this problem, the 'sync' light would just flash fast and no other light is showing except the steady 'enet' one when we connect modem to the router. The 'ready' light is not there either, not even flashing.

Could anyone suggest what we should go about this problem? We suspected it could be the replacement cable but then we could not explain why the length would have been the issue. Any possible solution appreciated.

Are you sure the cable is good , and the connections have been made properly?Just one strand of the outside wire(Sheathing) touching the inner would be enough to screw it up, or a poor connection that only makes intermittent contact.Personally I'd go back to the original cable, if that cures the problem your new one is faulty.Otherwise, bite the bullet and call out an engineer.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 18:04
I am experiencing a problem with Virgin Media. We are living in a rented house in Oxford (Cowley Road) and VM (I believe this is the cable service) is registered in the name of a housemate who is currently away for a month.

When originally installed the Tech would have calibrated the signal from the Green Cabinet to the Modem on the original cable, extending the cable will affect that calibration and will probably cause more frequent disconnections.

Better to connect back up to the original cable and use a long ethernet cable ( CAT5 patch cable ) to the router instead.

You are probably suffering from poor power levels and require a Tech visit but will need to wait till your housemate comes back unless you know the account number, then you could ring up Tech Support as a Third Party on 0906 212 1111

octave
09-05-2008, 01:38
I guess the longer cable (got it from ebay by a webboard member's recommendation) might have played a part but not completely as it has happened before. We would need the extension as it was formerly in a housemate's room which would make it very inconvenient for others to manual reboot when necessary.

We got broadband+TV package and the TV does work fine - does this mean the problem should be hardware problem "in the house", rather than "the underground cable"?

For broadband part, I checked by connecting the modem to the wall box (Green Cabinet?) via that short cable and the 'flashing sync light' still occurs.

I got this down/upstream info through my wireless router:

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1014
Hardware Version : 1.19

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Not Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 650000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : unknown
Downstream Symbol Rate : Unknown
Downstream Interleave Depth : Other
Downstream Receive Power Level : -24.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 0.0 dB

(The downstream numbers, e.g. SNR, vary a lot from 0 to some 50 dB)

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Not Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 0
Upstream Frequency : 0 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 0 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 8.3 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 0

If I need to call them, what information of the housemate would I be asked? Also, how much does it cost to call the 0906 number from mobile? It does sound like a-pound-per-minute number to me!

whydoIneedatech
09-05-2008, 06:36
I guess the longer cable (got it from ebay by a webboard member's recommendation) might have played a part but not completely as it has happened before. We would need the extension as it was formerly in a housemate's room which would make it very inconvenient for others to manual reboot when necessary.

We got broadband+TV package and the TV does work fine - does this mean the problem should be hardware problem "in the house", rather than "the underground cable"?

For broadband part, I checked by connecting the modem to the wall box (Green Cabinet?) via that short cable and the 'flashing sync light' still occurs.

If I need to call them, what information of the housemate would I be asked? Also, how much does it cost to call the 0906 number from mobile? It does sound like a-pound-per-minute number to me!

If your SNR is below 30db then you will not get a connection, and if it varies over such a wide range then the is a fault with your connection which will require a Engineer visit before which you will have to connect up the original cable.

cleshe
09-05-2008, 09:47

Does the cable you bought look identical to that supplied, apart from length?If it doesn't you'll certainly have to reconnect the original prior to call-out. If it does, you might well get away with it. My reading of stuff on here would suggest getting a longer cable fitted by Virgin is £75 job, i.e something to avoid if at all possible.
As to call costs, if from a landline they should be refunded if a fault exists that is acknowledged as Virgin's fault.Such calls cost 25p a minute.I don't know the costs from a mobile, I don't even own one, far less use one.I very much doubt they would accept your diy efforts as their fault.