PDA

View Full Version : Internet Privacy Software

mcgeezer
08-05-2008, 17:12
In light of the PHORM situation I'm currently looking at buying some privacy software for browsing - with particular interest in encrypting the traffic that goes through the ISP being the main focus.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at GhostSurf from tenebril.com which uses SSL encrypt the traffic from my computer to any of a number of proxies (they call them hubs). Does anyone use this software, what's it like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

McGeezer

Kymmy
08-05-2008, 17:17
What you have to remember is that by using a proxy you are adding more hops to your traffic thus slowing it down and hence effecting your browsing.

This really does beg the question as to why people are being paranoid about an adware service that you can OPT OUT of??

Kymmy

mcgeezer
08-05-2008, 18:59
This really does beg the question as to why people are being paranoid about an adware service that you can OPT OUT of??

Kymmy

Just because I opt out (which I won't) does'nt mean to say they'll not profile me. It's like taking the council up on their offer to shred your bank statements....errr no thanks, I'd rather shred it myself then I know it's done.

Ed2020
09-05-2008, 16:38
Sorry Kymmy, but you can't opt out. You can opt out of receiving the adverts, but your data will still pass through the Phorm profiling equipment.

Given Phorm's past incarnations a lot of people are somewhat reluctant to take it on face value that if you opt out your data is simply discarded, especially as the ISPs are unable to verify the code running on the profiler.

Ed.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Oh, and in response to the initial question you might want to look at XB Browser and anonymouse.org. Both of these offer paid subscriptions as well as the free version to lessen the impact on your browsing speed.

Ed.

Sirius
09-05-2008, 16:41
Sorry Kymmy, but you can't opt out. You can opt out of receiving the adverts, but your data will still pass through the Phorm profiling equipment.

Given Phorm past incarnations a lot of people are somewhat reluctant to take it on face value that if you opt out your data is simply discarded, especially as the ISPs are unable to verify the code running on the profiler.

Ed.

That's why i indend to move as soon as i receive the letter from VM saying they are about to turn this Spyware system on. They turn on Phorm, I turn off my VM broadband its as simple as that.

Ed2020
09-05-2008, 16:43
That's why i indend to move as soon as i receive the letter from VM saying they are about to turn this Spyware system on. They turn on Phorm, I turn off my VM broadband its as simple as that.

I totally agree. The only way I would consider staying is if it is opt-in only and by opting out your data goes *nowhere near* the Phorm profiler.

I suspect VM will be dropping the whole idea anyway. They seem to have been distancing themselves over the past few weeks.

Ed.

labougie
09-05-2008, 17:15
This looks pretty good for 5 euros a month! https://www.relakks.com/?cid=gb

p.s. Kymmy - you blonde?

Kymmy
09-05-2008, 18:10
p.s. Kymmy - you blonde?

Nope but my girl friend is ;)

Anyway the cable forum report says But hold on for a minute, apparently customers of the three main ISPs can opt out of the new system but they will be encouraged not to.

How can you opt out of the system when you;re getting the ads via the third party?? Surely if an ISP says you can OPT out then it has to be via the ISP's data collection...

It's weird that there's so much conflicting data about :(

Kymmy

labougie
09-05-2008, 19:02
"It's weird that there's so much conflicting data about"

Only the conflict between lies and reality. Inphorm yourself - http://www.p2pnet.net/story/15307