PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Cable Modem Problems

speedrpm
08-05-2008, 14:44
Good afternoon everyone, hope your all good,

This is my first post and with a bit of luck, someone will be able to assist as V.M's technical support is crap!!!

Basically the problem is as follows. We have an older style NTL:Home cable modem that is normally connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router which then connects 3 pc's hardwired via ethernet cable, which upto yesterday, worked fine. We have received a new Virgin Media Cable modem (the smaller blue one) which we've plugged in and are now having problems with one of the pc's.

When the modem is connected to the router, 2 pc's connect to the internet without any problem. Our 3rd desktop pc is having major problems though. Having checked in the network and sharing centre LAN status / details, no IPv4 default gateway is being acquired from the modem. I've connected this cable modem directly to the Ethernet port on the pc that isn't working and bypassed the Linksys router completely, re-booted both PC and Cable modem, and still no IPv4 IP address. I've connected the Cable modem to a laptop, and the laptop finds an IPv4 default gateway address without problem and connects to the internet. So, you would assume then that the problem lies with the pc. I've updated all the motherboard drivers including the ethernet and LAN drivers, and the pc says that the two LAN ports on the back of the pc are working properly.

I've also powered down the pc and modem and disconnected the co-ax cable, powered everything back up and checked checked the IP address which was 169.254.220.247, re-connected the co-ax cable, powered everything down and back up again, and still get the same IPv4 IP address.

The other 2 pc's that work when the modem is connected to the Linksys router are running WinXP and WinVista 32bit Home. The only difference with the pc that won't work, is that it's running WinVista 64bit Ulitmate.

I can't figure this out and am at the point of tearing my hair out. The tech guys at V.M. have said they will check to see if the MAC address of the router has been used twice on their system, said they'd call me back in 5 mins, that was 4 hours ago!!! The router by the way is registered on V.M's system so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any help or ideas would be most appreciated. Hope your all enjoying the sunshine.

Kind regards.

speedrpm

techyguy4
08-05-2008, 14:52
This is my first post and with a bit of luck, someone will be able to assist as V.M's technical support is crap!!!
blah-blah-blah

So, you would assume then that the problem lies with the pc. I've updated all the motherboard drivers including the ethernet and LAN drivers, and the pc says that the two LAN ports on the back of the pc are working properly.

Kind regards.

speedrpm

When you know that the problem is with the pc then I dont think its a good idea to call tech support as crap. And when its your pc issue (since bb working fine on two other pcs), then you should not seek any support from tech support. They can help you with checking the connection and all that but not for your pc.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

NEwayz welcome to the forum. :-)

speedrpm
08-05-2008, 16:51
I was referring to V.M's technical support as being crap for the simple reason that in the past two days, I have made 4 phone calls to V.M. technical department, on each occasion I was promised a return phone call. Not once have I been called back with answers to any of the questions put to them. As regards to the whether or not it is an issue with my pc, I don't know that it is. As I posted, although the cable modem works on two other pc's, there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't work on the 3rd pc, considering all were operating without problem only 2 days ago with our old ntl:home modem, now using the new Virgin Media Modem and we've suddenly got an issue.

Nobody seemed to be able to answer the question as to whether there was an issue with the 3rd pc that isn't working running Vista 64bit, nor was anyone able to reason why the old modem was fine with all the pc's one day, then not the next.

I would suggest therefore that before you start berating me for calling V.M. tech support crap, that you either get all the facts before you post, or you give a perfectly reasonable explanation for V.M tech support never calling back.

p.s. I notice your in India, not one of V.M's tech support staff are you, at least that would explain a few things...

Graham M
08-05-2008, 16:54
p.s. I notice your in India, not one of V.M's tech support staff are you, at least that would explain a few things...

You won't get very far here with comments like that

Russ
08-05-2008, 16:57
Play nice people. The infractions button is just waiting to be pressed today, the warm weather has made my finger very twitchy.

speedrpm
08-05-2008, 17:09
Good afternoon Zeph,

Thank you for your post. It seems there is a real case of double standards here, is it fair that techguy4 can write 'blahblahblah' under my earlier post, and be really rather blunt in his earlier response, yet as soon as I write asking if he's one of V.M's tech support guys, that explains a lot (meaning that if he is a member of staff it would explain his blunt comment) I receive further comments saying it won't get me very far!!!

Yet at no point have any of the issues or questions I posted being attempted to have been answered, with everyone more concerned that I called V.M's tech support crap. But having waited in nearly all day yesterday, and most of today, and so far having spent approx £10.00 in calls, if you were in my shoes I'd be interested to know how you would be feeling regarding the support you had received.

I simply posted asking for some general advice, and basically whether or not anyone knew of anything similar happening to them.

Russ
08-05-2008, 17:16
Thank you for your post. It seems there is a real case of double standards here, is it fair that techguy4 can write 'blahblahblah' under my earlier post, and be really rather blunt in his earlier response, yet as soon as I write asking if he's one of V.M's tech support guys, that explains a lot (meaning that if he is a member of staff it would explain his blunt comment) I receive further comments saying it won't get me very far!!!

Allow me to nip this in the bud.

If any forum user feels they have been insulted or personally attacked by someone, do not rise to it, just report it to the team. Difference of opinion is allowed, no problems there but once it gets personal then we have to wade in and people end up getting banned, which I do not want to see.

Richy99
08-05-2008, 17:16
if it works on the 2 other pcs but not that one then it would indicate a fault with the pc as it is not getting a valid IP address, VM do not register your router they only register the modem to their system

i will not comment on your little bit of attitude as it will just escalte into a free for all but as it has mbeen mentioned you wont get far with the sort of comments you are making

as for them not calling you back, sometimes things get overlooked or if they are busy might not be able to call you back, im not making ewcuses for them

speedrpm
08-05-2008, 17:31
Ok,

firstly let me apologise for any comments I may have made that may have upset anyone, that certainly wasn't my intention. However, as russ has pointed out, differences of opinion are allowed and I would never personally insult or attack anyone, but welcome open and honest discussion with all members. I did perhaps rise to the comments techguy4 made earlier, but in my eyes his comments came across as rather forward. But I'll be the first to apolgise to techguy4 and anyone else who feels I was out of order, and hope that this can be resolved without further issues.

Kind regards.

speedrpm

piggy
08-05-2008, 17:46
whilst not scientific if i was called out to this fault i would see the internet connected to 2pcs and then walk away faults do happen to equipment call it coincidence/bad luck but i would suggest your fault lies with the 3rd pc

speedrpm
08-05-2008, 17:58
Well,

I suppose if it's a hardware failure of the Ethernet ports on the motherboard, its nothing a £10.00 ethernet card won't fix...

Thanks for everyone's help, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

speedrpm

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 18:17
Well,

I suppose if it's a hardware failure of the Ethernet ports on the motherboard, its nothing a £10.00 ethernet card won't fix...

Thanks for everyone's help, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

speedrpm

It is quite possible that the Host Table on the UBR is at capacity, you are only allowed 5 MAC addresses on the Host Table, if the problem persists ring up and ask can the 2nd line Technicians check for you and delete the MAC addresses on there.

As for saying the other guy comes from India because he has it in his CP, have noticed the few others that say they are from Out of Space, I take take their claims with a pinch of salt, and the same with his claim to be in India:LOL:

moaningmags
08-05-2008, 22:04
Take the white coaxial cable out of the modem, connect it to the computer you're having trouble with.
Does it still have a 169 ip address or does it change to 192.168.100.X
If it stays at 169 it's the comp at fault.
If it changes to a 192ip addy then the MAC address of the NIC is already registered on the network (ie someone else has the same MAC and they got on before you) or as whydoineedatech says the host table is full and needs clearing.

HTH
Mags

techyguy4
09-05-2008, 12:11
Hi All,

You will find India in my profile because I am in India and I am a member of VM tech support.

whydoIneedatech
09-05-2008, 12:39
Hi All,

You will find India in my profile because I am in India and I am a member of VM tech support.

Which Call centre are you in? choice of 3.

adam.ford
09-05-2008, 12:49
It is quite possible that the Host Table on the UBR is at capacity, you are only allowed 5 MAC addresses on the Host Table, if the problem persists ring up and ask can the 2nd line Technicians check for you and delete the MAC addresses on there.

Actually it depends what area your in currently! :o) - old-ntl areas has a max host-list of 3, whereas old-telewest areas are 5.

You can only switch the public PC device connected to your cable modem between 3 different devices. Don't switch it anymore than this within a day, or you'll hit max, and the 4th 'public host' won't get online. This only counts for devices you connect directly to the modem itself (and not behind your NAT router).

- Device 1 - your router.
- Device 2 - your PC 1
- Device 3 - your PC 2
- Device 4 - Your PC 3

Device 4 won't be allowed to directly connect to the cable modem. You'll need to wait until the entry in the UBR host table expires. I wouldn't call tech support for this as you'll just waste money- wait for it to expire instead :o)

This thread need some serious happy vibes...! :o)

whydoIneedatech
09-05-2008, 13:35
Actually it depends what area your in currently! :o) - old-ntl areas has a max host-list of 3, whereas old-telewest areas are 5.

You can only switch the public PC device connected to your cable modem between 3 different devices. Don't switch it anymore than this within a day, or you'll hit max, and the 4th 'public host' won't get online. This only counts for devices you connect directly to the modem itself (and not behind your NAT router).

- Device 1 - your router.
- Device 2 - your PC 1
- Device 3 - your PC 2
- Device 4 - Your PC 3

Device 4 won't be allowed to directly connect to the cable modem. You'll need to wait until the entry in the UBR host table expires. I wouldn't call tech support for this as you'll just waste money- wait for it to expire instead :o)

This thread need some serious happy vibes...! :o)

As he is EX-NTL then his host table only has a capacity of 3, I am EX-Telewest and we have a capacity of 5 as you say.

:ghugs:

Aldon
12-11-2008, 00:13
Hi All,

I think I may have the same problem & am praying for help.
I'm posting on behalf of my farther in law who is a virgin media user. He has been running his PC & a laptop through a cable router then on to his STB for 2 to 3 years no problem. About a month ago an engineer fitted a new modem (little blue one) and all has been well until a week ago, the laptop will now not connect to the internet. It assigns itself a 169. address and gives the low connectivity notification. I have taken the laptop to the modem & pluged in to it directly & received the same notification. The PC has no problem connecting.

Does anyone hae any ideas,

Thanks in advance,

Aldon

adam.ford
12-11-2008, 00:56
Heya Aldon,

Are you remembering to turn the cable modem off and then back on again in between switching devices connected to it?

If you plug a different device into the Cable modem, it will still remember the first. You need to reset the cable modem to make it forget about the device that was connected previously.

EG - if you disconnect PC, and plug in laptop - you must turn off / on the cable modem. (this assumes you are not connecting a wireless router at this time).

Aldon
12-11-2008, 01:21
Hey,

To be honist I didn't. I'm not really familiar with cable matters. I take from your post that the modem can only hold one device until it's reset, that answers a few questions. Thanks for that mate & I will post tomorrow after I have another go it.

Aldon

Aldon
18-11-2008, 18:28
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply all,

I feel rather stupid over this one,:doh: I had failed to spot which DNS address the PC & Laptop were looking for which was the VM server. Not sure still as to why the PC could still connect and the laptop didn't? Anyway I just had to change the DNS addresses to the cable rounter's address and reset the modem & all was well again, ish. Laptop had to be manually assigned all it's IP's & the PC just picked it up it's IP after giving it the DNS.
Anyway all is well :)

Cheers for your help Adam :nworthy:

squirrel1970
18-11-2008, 18:43
Well, I think I'm next in line for a new modem... seems 6 years of consistent use and it's long life are about to expire.
The modem keeps dropping connection randomly and there's no listed work going on in the area (SK5 and surrounds) that could affect it and it's dropping so randomly and increasing in frequency that it can't be anything other than its old age purely and simply.
So.. it's been a good ride with the old silver ambit 120 cable modem... it's time for retirement ol' buddy...
What modem would I get sent out as and when we 'make the call'? The 250??
TIA. :D

Stabhappy
18-11-2008, 18:53
you'll get the 256. but first of all check that there are no issues with your modems power frequencies etc, as that could cause line drops.

hokkers999
19-11-2008, 00:00
Hi All,

I think I may have the same problem & am praying for help.
I'm posting on behalf of my farther in law who is a virgin media user. He has been running his PC & a laptop through a cable router then on to his STB for 2 to 3 years no problem. About a month ago an engineer fitted a new modem (little blue one) and all has been well until a week ago, the laptop will now not connect to the internet. It assigns itself a 169. address and gives the low connectivity notification. I have taken the laptop to the modem & pluged in to it directly & received the same notification. The PC has no problem connecting.

Does anyone hae any ideas,

Thanks in advance,

Aldon

But nothing has really changed has it if you think about it?

laptop --- router - stb compared to

laptop --- router - modem

From your laptop or pc's point of view it's exactly the same connection. Similarly from VM's point of view, it's exactly the same connection....

Would suggest you spend some time troubleshooting the laptop for viruses, spyware etc.

squirrel1970
19-11-2008, 20:36
Modem at present:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.58 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.19 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 49.75 dBmv

New modem is on the way... VM say it's not the connection as thats fine,so it's got to be the ancient old modem. Our speeds since going to 10Mb have been dire at times and we're not big downloaders... Some days we're lucky to see 8Mb and the odd time we have been STM'd - it's been down to 2Mb for up to half a day - which plainly means our modem isn't coping with the new speeds at all. In fact, the time the 3Mb'ers went to 10Mb, we had to drop to 2Mb until the 4Mb upgrade and things were all sweet and fine... we havent seen speeds go above 9Mb at all since the upgrade and our best speed lately is somewhere in the 7.5Mb region. :rolleyes:
I think I've done pretty well out of that modem and all the years of near constant use... It was just a matter of time before it reached pensioner status :D
Now we just spend up to the next 7 days looking out for a UPS van.... :erm:

Question is - will we need to put the attenuator from the old modem onto the new one? (I think it's a 6dBmv one.... due to noise issues on the line)

TIA :D

squirrel1970
24-11-2008, 13:34
And we have our new modem up and running and we're experiencing no problems at all...! :D
However, the modem arrived on Friday and we got it all out of the packaging and all set up and we did the necessary phone call thing.... and thats when mud hit fan...

It cost us £10 on our mobile phone to get the process started.... we're not rich by any standard and ended up borrowing my neighbours phone to make a further enquiry over the weekend....

We left it plugged in and running all weekend in the hope that the modem would eventually realise it's not a box of pretty blinking lights, but something that would serve an actual purpose... Sunday at about 1:40pm the lights blinked into life and our internet connection appeared as if by magic... (I became addicted to Black & White over the course of most of Saturday....) and we had to cancel the engineer that was scheduled to come out today (Monday)
And no - if it came to it that we'd have had to have paid for the engineers visit for no reason at all had we left him/her booked, we couldn't afford that (they still charge don't they?) and we'd have argued that it was the person we were speaking tos' fault for making an unnecessary booking...

Anyway, our old modem sits in retirement on the shelf as there's no place else it can go and it's too old to do anything with it...
What can one do with ones old modem?

Noggo
24-11-2008, 14:16
Anyway, our old modem sits in retirement on the shelf as there's no place else it can go and it's too old to do anything with it...
What can one do with ones old modem?

Two options (well three, 3 being leave it to the shelf and dust it).

1. Next time your passing the local tip, pop in and put it in the electrical recycling skip.

2. I think under the WEEE directive Virgin Media have a responsibility for the disposal. I know it will cost you to ring them to find out whether or not they will take it back, but it shouldn't cost anything to post it back if they do. I know when I had a BT phone replaced, they say dispose of it at the Council tip for recycling or send it back to them in the pre-paid bag which came with the new phone. All I had to do was drop it off at the Post Office and get proof of postage, as I wasn't planning on making a special trip to the tip just to recycle a phone.