PDA

View Full Version : modem keeps rebooting

ploppy15
08-05-2008, 11:19
hello. hope someone can point me in the right direction. since february, i can only access the internet for approx 3hrs per day. when i started talking too support, they said that i would need a new modem. so they came and fitted a vm256 and i use that with a edimax BR-6204WG wireless router. however, the modem keeps rebooting and when i reported this to india, they then said that there is a problem in the DN35 area, even though there is nothing on the status line and they said that normal internet will be be resumed by 29th april. however, this problem is still happening, i am trying to discover wether it is a large problem affecting other users or just local to me. broadband size is xl. also, is it possible for a router to reboot a cable modem? many thanks

Stuart
08-05-2008, 12:12
Does it happen if the PC is attached directly to the modem?

ploppy15
08-05-2008, 13:17
hi stuart. sometimes. but more often than not, whn it is attached to the router.

ploppy15
08-05-2008, 19:39
coming back to my question. can a wireless router reboot a cable modem?

Stuart
08-05-2008, 19:46
It shouldn't, but it's possible that it is..

homealone
08-05-2008, 19:54
I haven't been having any problems in the DN35 area - it sounds to me like a problem renewing the DHCP lease, there should be an option in the router to set it to be the DHCP server & have the IP address assigned automatically - is that how it is set?

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 20:11
I have never heard of a Wireless Router causing a Modem to reboot and can find no cases online either.

Here is a Microsoft link for troubleshooting a Wireless Network.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/troubleshoot.mspx

Ian-Highlander
08-05-2008, 21:05
I have seen routers causing modems to reboot several times, can't explain the technicalities of why because quite frankly I can't see any reason for it, but it does happen. I've had it happen to me with one particular router and seen similar on a neighbours.

Both times, they where less popular models of router (one was a cheap BT one, one a sagem I think). Constantly rebooting the modem after a minute or two of being connected. Without the routers in line, the modems stayed on line perfectly as they should.

Swapped one out for a Linksys and one out for a Netgear and both went completely stable and never had the problem again. The NTL engineer that came out to look at my neighbours issue, didn't believe me until I showed him it happening.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 22:36
That is a strange one but the link I posted above might help.

ploppy15
12-05-2008, 11:07
just an update. a friend of mine who has pc shop, says the modem could have been cloned, hence the rebooting. how likely is this? based on vm say it is impossible? cheers

whydoIneedatech
12-05-2008, 11:24
just an update. a friend of mine who has pc shop, says the modem could have been cloned, hence the rebooting. how likely is this? based on vm say it is impossible? cheers

The is a possibility that another PC has the same MAC address and is on the same UBR, and it does happen even though each MAC address is supposed to be individual.

This will cause similar problems to this, and the only answer may be to replace your NIC which will give you a new MAC address.

IT does and can happen as I have had 2 fault calls with this problem and the above resolved it both times.

ploppy15
12-05-2008, 12:03
engineer should have been here today between 8-12. still no sign. should i send them a bill? :-) cheers

whydoIneedatech
12-05-2008, 12:30
engineer should have been here today between 8-12. still no sign. should i send them a bill? :-) cheers

Ring 0906 212 1111 and check that it was actually booked

ploppy15
12-05-2008, 13:44
engineer just left. they have replaced a laser in one of there boxes (DSA?) so see how it goes. thanks for all the help guys.