PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about guns at home & the law?

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 17:01
Situ is - the houses across the back are raised higher than ours. A bloke directly opposite is a nice enough chap. Retired, keeps his eyes on the street etc, but he's either ex-military/services or wishes he was. Big nasty ex-police dog, the odd glimpse of camo clothing etc. I've no prob with that - to each their own. But him and his son have acquired what I can only describe as rifles. Big nasty ones with scopes that they both have started using for target shooting in their garden. I have NO clue about guns etc, but I presume they're legal, though they're disturbingly noisy & powerful (they go with a CRACK and the target they use is metal and suffering badly by the sounds of it). My worry is, as his garden looks onto mine, I'm concerned that some stray pellets or whatever they are could come over and hit my kids in the garden (I have previously found a dart in the garden. His son used to be a bit of a tearaway, and I thought at the time he'd been taking pot shots at our dog). We're only a matter of feet away, I'm absolutely certain these rifles they're using would cause serious injury at this distance.

Now, I'm not asking advice for what to do. I'll speak to him in good time no problem, and have made a motion today to show I don't approve, by bringing my kids in, pausing and making eye contact then closing the back door even though it's sweltering. He stopped shooting right away. I really don't want to fallout with anyone and will avoid it if possible - but I was wondering if what he's doing is legal, just on the off-chance that when/if I have to go to speak to him, he argues he's doing nothing wrong.

fireman328
07-05-2008, 17:10
Try here :- http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/airgun-air-rifle-pistol-law-uk.htm

Xaccers
07-05-2008, 17:12
Sound like air rifles to me.
If memory serves, it's an offence for his pellets to leave his land boundry, so if any go astray into your land, call the police and report it.
They do not like people having lethal weapons such as air rifles so normally respond well to complaints, often confiscating the items to "check" their power level. Can be a right pain to get them back in one piece ;)

However, if he keeps it to his property, its legal (assuming their power is under 12ft/lbs or if over, they are both certified)

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 17:15
Try here :- http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/airgun-air-rifle-pistol-law-uk.htm

Thanks mate - will have a read.

:edit: This is interesting but a bit confusing.

It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, If by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths. Does that mean it's an offence if shooting the gun causes injury? Or just shooting it is an offence?
He's well within those limits. There's a cobbled 10' wide walkway between our houses.
In fact, interrupted or endangered pretty much covers it I'd say.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Sound like air rifles to me.
If memory serves, it's an offence for his pellets to leave his land boundry, so if any go astray into your land, call the police and report it.
They do not like people having lethal weapons such as air rifles so normally respond well to complaints, often confiscating the items to "check" their power level. Can be a right pain to get them back in one piece ;)

However, if he keeps it to his property, its legal (assuming their power is under 12ft/lbs or if over, they are both certified)

Thanks Xaccers.
There's no more than a low wall and a gate, and the target's on the gate, so yeah - in his boundary, just not completely safe in my view.

Xaccers
07-05-2008, 17:22
Does that mean it's an offence if shooting the gun causes injury? Or just shooting it is an offence?
He's well within those limits. There's a cobbled 10' wide walkway between our houses.

Shooting is the "extra" offence, for instance, interupting someone isn't an offence, but interupting them by shooting an air weapon is.

It sounds like he's just this side of legal, but of course, that's still legal.
Irresponsible though if you ask me.

When I test my guns (ok much lower powered and a damn sight safer), I make sure it's in a direction where there's no chance of it hitting someone as mine are more likely to ricochet over the back wall.

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 17:26
Yeah, I think he's probably onto a hiding to nothing really with that.
As I say, I don't want to be a killjoy or cause any bother, but if I ask him to not shoot when the kids are out and he argues then I'd say I have the call to make a complaint.

I might suggest, if he thinks he can keep his pellets within the range of his target, that he shoots from the bottom of his garden upward towards his house and windows then..

Xaccers
07-05-2008, 17:30
As I say, I don't want to be a killjoy or cause any bother, but if I ask him to not shoot when the kids are out and he argues then I'd say I have the call to make a complaint.

I might suggest, if he thinks he can keep his pellets within the range of his target, that he shoots from the bottom of his garden upward towards his house and windows then..

Or talk him into getting a refund and buying some which are safer, cheaper and have the option of full auto ;)

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 17:32
Or talk him into getting a refund and buying some which are safer, cheaper and have the option of full auto ;)

I would, unfortunately I don't speak scarymanwithcamoandgunsese.
;)
I'd rather not show the interest!

Derek
07-05-2008, 17:33

There is a couple of extra offences if you are in Scotland relating to recklessly discharging firearms but not sure if there is an English equivalent.

Still knowing how Police forces tend to deal with anything remotely gun-ish I'd imagine if he does keep plying around he'll end up with the guns removed (for testing as Xaccers said) or some other public order offence.

Taf
07-05-2008, 17:47
Call the police when they are actively shooting and simply state that they are "discharging firearms"....

Then count the seconds until an armed response team arrive....

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 19:58
Call the police when they are actively shooting and simply state that they are "discharging firearms"....

Then count the seconds until an armed response team arrive....

LOL! :D
Well, there is always that as a last resort!

checker
07-05-2008, 20:18
All very well shooting at the garden gate or whatever. A problem arises when:
1) The target is missed.
2) Where are the ricochets going?
In all a very unsafe practice to discharge air weapons in such a confined space.
Any way talk to the guy, if no joy then complain to the police:

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 20:44
All very well shooting at the garden gate or whatever. A problem arises when:
1) The target is missed.
2) Where are the ricochets going?
Yep.

In all a very unsafe practice to discharge air weapons in such a confined space.
Very confined. In practice, (as my wife pointed out) as our gate is in the same line as our back door and his gate, the guy could miss and one of these pellets could make it right into my house if the back door is open. :erm:
I'm staggered at the level of recklessness from a person of his age.
He's continued to shoot with his son right up until about half an hour ago so my not so subtle actions earlier have made no difference it seems.

Any way talk to the guy, if no joy then complain to the police:
I will be doing, there's no doubt about that.
Just hope I beat my wife to it - she's much less accommodating.

I hate possible show-down's. Why can't people just stop and think? Why does it not occur to certain people how ridiculously irresponsible they're being before it has to come down to finger wagging, however polite.

Ho hum.

ceedee
07-05-2008, 22:23
I hate possible show-down's. Why can't people just stop and think? Why does it not occur to certain people how ridiculously irresponsible they're being before it has to come down to finger wagging, however polite.

There's no need for a show down -- just keep your cool.

Why not pop round and explain that you're sincerely worried about the safety aspect, ask him how powerful the rifles are and what kind of pellets he's using.
Show him that you are *concerned* for your kids safety not just having a go at him.

Ask him if he's considered how his 'hobby' might be made a little safer for his neighbours, like shooting away from your garden.

If all that fails, it'll probably be best to politely apologise for disturbing him and report your concerns and the conversation to your local beat officer.
I'd expect them to have the same conversation but maybe get a bit more co-operation...

But make sure that you don't let yourself get angry with him - he's almost certainly acting within the law even if somewhat recklessly.

Good luck.

kryogenik
07-05-2008, 22:38
Thanks mate.
Yeah, I've no intention of kicking off. I'm not that way inclined (these days. Dad n' all that). Just anticipating losing what's a reasonably good relationship with someone who's, shall we say, a bit unpolished.

But, as I say, I'm not really looking for advice on that front. I'm more than happy to lose that rapport for the safety of my family if necessary. I was more wanting to be aware of the law if/when the need to mention it comes (as I say, he's a bit military inclined - be that for whatever reason). It may not do, but forewarned is forearmed, if you'll pardon the pun.

Ta.

ceedee
08-05-2008, 00:09
Thanks mate.
Yeah, I've no intention of kicking off. I'm not that way inclined (these days. Dad n' all that). Just anticipating losing what's a reasonably good relationship with someone who's, shall we say, a bit unpolished.

Ah, I think I get the picture!
;)

You mentioned your neighbour has a son, well in your position, I'd lean heavily on the parental responsibility angle -- something like "Wouldn't *he* want to make sure his kids were as safe as possible?"

Whichever way you tackle him, I hope you get a satisfactory response.

But, as I say, I'm not really looking for advice on that front. I'm more than happy to lose that rapport for the safety of my family if necessary. I was more wanting to be aware of the law if/when the need to mention it comes (as I say, he's a bit military inclined - be that for whatever reason). It may not do, but forewarned is forearmed, if you'll pardon the pun.

Strangely, that was the motto of the Royal Observer Corps (http://www.aquila.btinternet.co.uk/aviation/org/roc.htm) (think of WW2 plane spotters turned nuclear fallout monitors -- gulp!) of which I was a member some 20 years ago!
:o: