PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Wireless Router

grabbi
07-05-2008, 16:12
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/200805070830PR_NEWS_USPR_____AQW002.htm

Available to all NEW subscribers.

The existing ones been screwed over again? Looks like it.

Either that, or we will have to pay that £40 charge, even though we may very well have L or XL Broadband.

Talk about valued customers!

roland69uk
07-05-2008, 16:28
I got mine and all i paid was the postage of £7.95

Stuart
07-05-2008, 17:00
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/200805070830PR_NEWS_USPR_____AQW002.htm

Available to all NEW subscribers.

The existing ones been screwed over again? Looks like it.

Either that, or we will have to pay that £40 charge, even though we may very well have L or XL Broadband.

Talk about valued customers!

I can't find anything on the Virgin site about a charge for existing customers. Have you actually *asked* them?

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 17:03
From the website (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html)

A non-refundable, one time service charge of £40 will apply to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: M Broadband service and all existing Broadband customers taking the wireless router

roland69uk
07-05-2008, 17:18
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless_howmuch.html

icestar2
07-05-2008, 17:21
£40 and then this - The Wireless router remains the property of Virgin Media at all times. I think no thanks !

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 19:50
£40 and then this - I think no thanks !

What you are paying for is to be supported as all 3rd party routers are unsupported.

icestar2
07-05-2008, 23:21
What you are paying for is to be supported as all 3rd party routers are unsupported.

Lol supported. Thats a good one :)

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 23:26
Don't get it then. No-one is making you. Unlike some ISPs Virgin don't force you to use a router they choose.

Just don't expect Virgin to even entertain resolving a connection issue if you have a router hooked up

As I posted HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34535262-post116.html), it is only temporary that existing customers have to pay £40 no matter what

An update on this.

Due to the popularity of the routers and as a SHORT TERM MEASURE ONLY, the wireless routers will cost £40, with no minimum contract, for ALL existing broadband customers. This applies to existing M L and XL customers whether upgrading or not.

New broadband customer prices are not affected

icestar2
07-05-2008, 23:30
Don't get it then. No-one is making you. Unlike some ISPs Virgin don't force you to use a router they choose.

Just don't expect Virgin to even entertain resolving a connection issue if you have a router hooked up

Ouch ! sorry if I ofended you. I was not thinking of getting it I was just stating what I seen in the small print for people who dont always look at it.

To be fair I've had good and pleasent dealing's with Support but I've also had very poor support to. Anyways if I chose to hook up my own router I would not even think of phoning VM for help.

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 23:33
Sorry if I was abrupt.

Just it is annoys me when some people have had an attitude of 'I'll get the router cos it is free, but I think it/Broadband Support/Virgin is a pile of C**P'

It is probably because of some people getting the router because it was free, even though they may already have had their own (along with underestimation by Virgin of how popular it would be) for the current shortage

icestar2
07-05-2008, 23:40
Sorry if I was abrupt.

Just it is annoys me when some people have had an attitude of 'I'll get the router cos it is free, but I think it/Broadband Support/Virgin is a pile of C**P'

or

'Why don't Virgin supply an X,Y,Z router for free because that is what I need'

Fair point. I dont expect a free router or anything like that. Newsgroups and Tech support are brill in my experience with VM. Its just some of there CS team dont seem to care. Not saying all just some of the ones I've dealt with.

Stop It
07-05-2008, 23:40

As I posted HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34535262-post116.html), it is only temporary that existing customers have to pay £40 no matter what

Short term? weeks? months? come on, £40 for a router that wont even be your property anyway? that's not on, even as a "temporary" measure.

Oh, also, could you list me any ISPs that force you to use a particular router? If so, who, and how? seeing as the aftermarket ADSL router market is massive in the UK?

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 23:57
be broadband who I'm with will only support the router they send you (and will charge you £100 for it if you don't return it when you disconnect). You can use alternative routers but they are a pain to set up as the way be works is not standard.

Sky also say within their T&Cs that you cannot connect any other router to their network. If you do and they find out, they can disconnect you.

Also I believe both Orange and BT also don't play nice when it comes to other equipment

tucker61
08-05-2008, 08:15
my linksys wrt54gl is currently playing up. Any news on how short term this is? How does this modem compare against a lynksis? Should I buy 1 separately or wait until free to existing customers again. If I upgraded to xl would I get it free ?

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 10:30
Lol supported. Thats a good one :)

The thing is its true and its no laughing matter, you have a problem with a Virgin supplied router then it is supported! No ifs or Buts, same if you get the Dongle or Laptop card, they are supported as well, and that means all call charges refunded unless the fault is on your computer.

If you ring up about a 3rd party router you will be told to call the Customer Support Number for that Router.

icestar2
08-05-2008, 17:40
The thing is its true and its no laughing matter, you have a problem with a Virgin supplied router then it is supported! No ifs or Buts, same if you get the Dongle or Laptop card, they are supported as well, and that means all call charges refunded unless the fault is on your computer.

If you ring up about a 3rd party router you will be told to call the Customer Support Number for that Router.

Well how nice to be refunded when your paying £40 anyway for support since the Router is still VM's property. I think its a outrage to charge £40 for support. If it was to buy the router then fine but £40 for support I dont agree with that no matter what way its put.

I also agree for support of a 3rd party router you should call there CS.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 17:46
Well how nice to be refunded when your paying £40 anyway for support since the Router is still VM's property. I think its a outrage to charge £40 for support. If it was to buy the router then fine but £40 for support I dont agree with that no matter what way its put.

I also agree for support of a 3rd party router you should call there CS.

Thats the way it has been advertised and the demand for them has been high because they have the safety net of support from one source not two.

Do not forget it is down to personal choice.

icestar2
08-05-2008, 18:01
Thats the way it has been advertised and the demand for them has been high because they have the safety net of support from one source not two.

Do not forget it is down to personal choice.

I agree. Its just that it was in the small print that it remains VM's property at all time's. I didnt expect to see that and was slightly shocked. I bet alot of people havent even noticed it.

The people who have and are ok with it Great I just think its a bit unfair. But again personal choice so fair's fair :)