PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media - Two Cable Modems

Scottie
06-05-2008, 22:27
Hi,

I live with my flatmate. He has a connection with Virgin. I'd like to get another connection (I think we need another cable modem)

At the moment we share the connection through a router and although we could just up the connection we both like to hammer the connection and we'd both like it to be seperate.

I know it's possible to get another modem/connection but I don't know how much longer I'll be at this address so is there a minimum contract time for the 2nd modem?

Thanks for reading.

Scotti

whydoIneedatech
06-05-2008, 22:32
Hi,

I live with my flatmate. He has a connection with Virgin. I'd like to get another connection (I think we need another cable modem)

At the moment we share the connection through a router and although we could just up the connection we both like to hammer the connection and we'd both like it to be seperate.

I know it's possible to get another modem/connection but I don't know how much longer I'll be at this address so is there a minimum contract time for the 2nd modem?

Thanks for reading.

Scotti

Usually only one modem per property as they would require separate cables, two modems may be available as a separate business line.

OF1975
06-05-2008, 23:10
Hi,

Thanks for reading.

Scotti

I believe you may be able to get your own connection and your own modem if you are living in a different room in the shared house but it would need to be an account in your own name. Not 100% sure but I think I have seen it mentioned before that it is possible.

As per the contract unfortunately at a guess you would have to sign the standard 12 month contract.

BenMcr
06-05-2008, 23:19
The address would also have to be specifically set up to allow multiple accounts.

If it isn't already set up that way it is unlikely Virgin will now do it.

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 01:34
There is no problem having two accounts on the same address, they just need to be on different names. The engineer will put a splitter on the cable and will install the second modem. Nothing needs to be set up for the address, no special permission, etc.
As for the minimum subscription period, as with every new account, it is 12 months.

frogstamper
07-05-2008, 03:28
You don't mention what speed you and your flatmate currently have with VM, if its 2mb or 4mb why not just upgrade to 20mb and share the cost, its got to be cheaper and a lot less hassle by the sound of it.

BTW Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 06:25
There is no problem having two accounts on the same address, they just need to be on different names. The engineer will put a splitter on the cable and will install the second modem. Nothing needs to be set up for the address, no special permission, etc.
As for the minimum subscription period, as with every new account, it is 12 months.

Yes you could do that but only one modem at a time would work and Virgin would not install anything like this.

Check out some of the business threads, that is the only possibility that I am aware of, £40 a month plus VAT ( 10Mb for £47 )with a much better upload speed.

As frogstamper says if you are not on 20Mb then upgrade it would be cheaper, and get a Good quality router.

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 10:10
Yes you could do that but only one modem at a time would work and Virgin would not install anything like this.

Check out some of the business threads, that is the only possibility that I am aware of, £40 a month plus VAT ( 10Mb for £47 )with a much better upload speed.

As frogstamper says if you are not on 20Mb then upgrade it would be cheaper, and get a Good quality router.
When I say it is possible, I speak from experience - I have two accounts in my house, one on my name and one on my wife's name. Both modems work simultaneously, both sit in the same cupboard, just one on the top of the other, with a splitter from the same cable, installed legally and without any problems or questions from Virgin media... When you state something like this, you should know what you're talking about, not just waste time and space with pointless remarks... or you should read the posts more carefully

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 11:02
When I say it is possible, I speak from experience - I have two accounts in my house, one on my name and one on my wife's name. Both modems work simultaneously, both sit in the same cupboard, just one on the top of the other, with a splitter from the same cable, installed legally and without any problems or questions from Virgin media... When you state something like this, you should know what you're talking about, not just waste time and space with pointless remarks... or you should read the posts more carefully

You are a waste of space mate, most customers cannot get that package so do not get their hopes up!!!

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 11:12
You are a waste of space mate, most customers cannot get that package so do not get their hopes up!!!

What do you mean by most customers? I'm just a normal customer, like everybody else, I don't get any preferential treatments or discounts, so if it's working for me, it should work for everybody else... or you know something from inside Virgin media? Are you working for them?
"That" package is not ONE package, it is TWO separate accounts on the same address, ONE house, ONE room(cupboard)... If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it and don't hide behind "most customers", because I'm one of these customers!!!

broadbandbug
07-05-2008, 11:37

And if both accounts are on 20Mb/s and you are both hammering the downstream as the OP mentions.. Neither of you will get anywhere near 20Mb/s.
2 cable modems in the same address will share the same port. The port is likely to be around 38Mb/s, therefore not enough bandwidth available for you both to thrash your broadband:D

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 11:50
And if both accounts are on 20Mb/s and you are both hammering the downstream as the OP mentions.. Neither of you will get anywhere near 20Mb/s.
2 cable modems in the same address will share the same port. The port is likely to be around 38Mb/s, therefore not enough bandwidth available for you both to thrash your broadband:D
It is the L packages, that I have. You are correct for sharing the bandwidth, but do you know how cable is installed? You don't think that they run a separate cable from the box down the street to every house? No, they just split your nearest neighbour's cable and connect you... and by the way, the reason I have two L accounts instead of one XL is that I need the upload bandwidth more than I need the download...

Scottie
07-05-2008, 11:58
You don't mention what speed you and your flatmate currently have with VM, if its 2mb or 4mb why not just upgrade to 20mb and share the cost, its got to be cheaper and a lot less hassle by the sound of it.

BTW Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome. We have 2mb. We can't really work out how much more to spend as he has a combined TV package.

Well we both hammer the connection to be honest. We'd prefer a different modem but we've also talked about upping the connection.

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 12:31

This was possible on ntl's billing system up till last year.(although it shouldn't have been done).

As those systems no longer exist, it is not possible NOW.

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 12:34
This was possible under ntl (although it shouldn't have been done), and on their billing system up till last year.

It is not possible NOW.
I have done it last August... and yes, I'm ex-NTL area.

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 12:38
Exactly. Last year yes, NOW no.

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 12:49
Exactly. Last year yes, NOW no.
I just went trough the ordering process of a new account on the same address up to the final confirmation of the order, and it let me get through... If I needed a third account, I could do it...

Scottie
07-05-2008, 12:55
Hello kpanchev,

The other problem we have is. We'd ideally like it in my name not my mates (who is the name on the tenants agreement)

I think I need to be on the agreement before I can proceed else it will be on his name.

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 12:55
What do you mean by most customers? I'm just a normal customer, like everybody else, I don't get any preferential treatments or discounts, so if it's working for me, it should work for everybody else... or you know something from inside Virgin media? Are you working for them?
"That" package is not ONE package, it is TWO separate accounts on the same address, ONE house, ONE room(cupboard)... If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it and don't hide behind "most customers", because I'm one of these customers!!!

You are very lucky as most households are not allowed two accounts at on address unless one is for business purposes.

I do not know how long you have had 2 modems but it is unusual, especially as you say they use the same line.

All I meant was for you not to get peoples hopes up on the possibility of them being able to get 2 modems from Virginmedia even though you have them.

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 13:00
I just went trough the ordering process of a new account on the same address up to the final confirmation of the order, and it let me get through... If I needed a third account, I could do it...

Yes you could place an order, but when someone came to load the order on, they would identify that you are trying to order a 3rd account, contact you and say 'Sorry you can't do this'

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 13:12
Hello kpanchev,

The other problem we have is. We'd ideally like it in my name not my mates (who is the name on the tenants agreement)

I think I need to be on the agreement before I can proceed else it will be on his name.
No one cares whose name is on the tenant's agreement, apart from the landlord. Virgin will not ask for the agreement, and they don't have the right to ask. Order your broadband, state, that you are renting privately, and that's it.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Yes you could place an order, but when someone came to load the order on, they would identify that you are trying to order a 3rd account, contact you and say 'Sorry you can't do this'
I thought that the ordering system was automated...;)

Nedkelly
07-05-2008, 13:18
This is going to cause problems for the students .As some student houses have 1 to 4 modems in the house we have this problem in Lincoln where they have made the the house into flats on the system so we can do this :confused:

Toilet-Duck
07-05-2008, 13:21
I can confirm that you can have 2 cable modems on 2 accounts, my brother who lives in London has 2 cable modems connected to VM...

He ordered this 2 months ago Im not sure if things have changed but he still has 2 accounts, 1 modem and account registered for his file server and the other for personal.

However for some reason he had to order them SEPARATELY because when he tried to order them both at the same time he was told by the sales line it isnt possible to have 2 accounts which doesnt seem to be true...

He managed to get 2 accounts by:

1. Phoning the VM sales line and order VM Cable (First time customer) on the 4 MEG package which has now been upgraded I think to 10 meg.
2. A few weeks passed after his cable modem was fitted and activated.
3. He then ordered VM Cable 20 MEG again but this time signed up with THE WEBSITE under a NEW CUSTOMER again.
4. He recieved a letter with all the information again a second time and a date for installation...

Im not sure what the engineer did because I wasnt there but he does have 2 modems now and they work fine independently.

He has 2 direct debits setup and 2 different account numbers so Im guessing they are totally different accounts.

This is both in the same names and both same addresses with same contact details and bank details of course....

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 13:44
Again, No it would not be possible now.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

This is going to cause problems for the students .As some student houses have 1 to 4 modems in the house we have this problem in Lincoln where they have made the the house into flats on the system so we can do this :confused:

If a property is split for a either a student accomodation or flats, then that is allowed as they are treated as seperate properties.

I.E they will be listed as Flat 1/2/3/4 or A/B/C etc.

But you could not have two modems at Flat 1

Toilet-Duck
07-05-2008, 13:50
Again, No it would not be possible now.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

If a property is split for a either a student accomodation or flats, then that is allowed as they are treated as seperate properties.

I.E they will be listed as Flat 1/2/3/4 or A/B/C etc.

But you could not have two modems at Flat 1

They havent changed anything signifantly though have they? London got changed to the new billing system ages ago I thought...

He signed up just under 2 months ago...

I would try ordering the way I said its worth a shot not going to harm ;)

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 13:52
Hey if it works it works, but it isn't official company policy. So don't complain if Virgin say no

kpanchev
07-05-2008, 14:10
Hey if it works it works, but it isn't official company policy. So don't complain if Virgin say no
I wonder whether Virgin have ever had an official policy that they have stuck to... and when they have ever said no to a paying customer?

BenMcr
07-05-2008, 14:20
Yes they have, so did telewest. It was ntl that didn't

broadbandbug
07-05-2008, 23:47
It is the L packages, that I have. You are correct for sharing the bandwidth, but do you know how cable is installed? You don't think that they run a separate cable from the box down the street to every house? No, they just split your nearest neighbour's cable and connect you... and by the way, the reason I have two L accounts instead of one XL is that I need the upload bandwidth more than I need the download...

Again you are incorrect. The correct installation process is to provide a separate drop cable from the cabinet tap bank to the appropriate address.
By splitting from neighbour connections the noise will be increased and the power reduced (loss per splitter) therefore providing a very poor service.
If you have evidence of this type of install I am sure VM would be interested to know as this is not correct install practice and means the 3rd party installations contractors are breaching their agreements with VM.

Understand your requirements and makes sense.

TraxData
07-05-2008, 23:48
Again you are incorrect. The correct installation process is to provide a separate drop cable from the cabinet tap bank to the appropriate address.
By splitting from neighbour connections the noise will be increased and the power reduced (loss per splitter) therefore providing a very poor service.
If you have evidence of this type of install I am sure VM would be interested to know as this is not correct install practice and means the 3rd party installations contractors are breaching their agreements with VM.

Understand your requirements and makes sense.

While that is the correct procedure some techs do have a habbit of stealings the neighbours cable and splitting it...as you said though, it does cause problems.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 10:54
While that is the correct procedure some techs do have a habbit of stealings the neighbours cable and splitting it...as you said though, it does cause problems.

If you know of any instances of this actually happening then please report it to Virgin as it is an illegal practice, or is this just another wind up but for the install techs this time!

TraxData
08-05-2008, 13:20
If you know of any instances of this actually happening then please report it to Virgin as it is an illegal practice, or is this just another wind up but for the install techs this time!

When i see it happen i do report it.

And if VM dont bother doing anything about it...i fix it myself...and let them know.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 17:32
When i see it happen i do report it.

And if VM dont bother doing anything about it...i fix it myself...and let them know.

Nice one mate, just be careful of the legal side of working on VM property.;)

TraxData
08-05-2008, 17:51
Nice one mate, just be careful of the legal side of working on VM property.;)

I usually ask for a tech to come out so he can help ;)

Ironically we have a local VM tech who sells cable boxes/modems, reported him endless times and VM have never bothered to stop him.

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 17:55
I usually ask for a tech to come out so he can help ;)

Ironically we have a local VM tech who sells cable boxes/modems, reported him endless times and VM have never bothered to stop him.

Thats what the local papers for, report him to them they will love it.:)

piggy
08-05-2008, 20:37
i dont know if you lads just read from a script but in student city i have seen 2/3 even 4 modems in 1 house from 1 cable all working all paying bills, and in the terraced streets in our area it is very,very,very common to have two propertys off 1 drop. a normal install nowadays can consist of V+ stb 1/2 v boxes and a modem all off 1 drop.

TraxData
08-05-2008, 22:05
i dont know if you lads just read from a script but in student city i have seen 2/3 even 4 modems in 1 house from 1 cable all working all paying bills, and in the terraced streets in our area it is very,very,very common to have two propertys off 1 drop. a normal install nowadays can consist of V+ stb 1/2 v boxes and a modem all off 1 drop.

It can cause major noise problems on the line though and effect everybody on the street.

Thus why you shouldnt do it...

whydoIneedatech
08-05-2008, 22:34
Anyone who thinks they can get 2 modems or more from Virginmedia, I challenge you to try and order them now! and if successful please post on here to let everyone know.

I think we will get Tumbleweed first ( plus more post saying my mates have got 2 or more ) No One can order a Second Modem for their property as of 5/5/2008.

Do not just post I got a Second Modem, we require written documentary proof from Virgin dated after 5/5/2008.

crogers122
27-08-2009, 09:44
When i used to work for virgin media once when it was Telewest a long time ago,

This is how it would work correctly i have drawn up a diagram of how to get two cable modem boxes working correctly even with a Digital TV Box,

As long as the Second modem is subscribed to Virgin Media (e.g the MAC Address) then the second modem will work as all the VM Servers do is verify a correct MAC is connecting to the network if not then ofcourse the VM DHCP Server will not offer an IP Address to the modem

At the end of the day all Virgin Media do themselfs out on the street is place a Splitter on the MAIN line then split that main like to about 100 houses in the area, Virgin has not got 4 million different cables coming outside there exchange to each individual house. so its excatly the same for what your doing inside your house to what they are doing outside your house.

here is the diagram looks a bit crap but its best i could do at 8 in the morning heh

BenMcr
27-08-2009, 10:11
We all agree it is technically possible to have more than one modem in a property - just as you can have more than one STB

However Virgin do not allow more than one modem to be registered to an account and will not allow more than one account at address

LaineY
27-08-2009, 11:38
As far as im aware.

2 Modems at 1 Property cannot be done.
2 seperate accounts at 1 property cannot be done.
its 1 modem per house hold as far as i was lead to believe.
If its not i have been advising customers wrong for years.

Peter_
27-08-2009, 18:55
I have only ever come across one property with legitimate 2 modems on the account and to troubleshoot them you have to ask for the individual MAC addresses to be able to diagnose the issue, certainly makes for a longer call, so quite glad it is not the norm.

theoldbill
27-08-2009, 20:36
When a doorstep VM sales person knocked my door about 3-4 months ago, I got chatting about 50meg first then told her I had both VM and adsl here... to cut a long story short, the question about more than one cable connection came up. She said to keep her business card handy and call if I ever needed it doing (she could have arranged it when I asked)... she said it's something the "CMTs" need to organise - but they can - or they /would/ if SHE pulled the strings to get the sale.

For me, having two connections on seperate networks provides the redundancy, so I wouldn't want 2 cable modems; inevitably they'll both go offline if there are any network issues... right?

Peter_
27-08-2009, 20:40
When a doorstep VM sales person knocked my door about 3-4 months ago, I got chatting about 50meg first then told her I had both VM and adsl here... to cut a long story short, the question about more than one cable connection came up. She said to keep her business card handy and call if I ever needed it doing (she could have arranged it when I asked)... she said it's something the "CMTs" need to organise - but they can - or they /would/ if SHE pulled the strings to get the sale.
I think that she was saying anything to get a sale and very unlikely that she had any power to put her money where her mouth was, you would have signed up and had nothing in writing just her word.

For me, having two connections on seperate networks provides the redundancy, so I wouldn't want 2 cable modems; inevitably they'll both go offline if there are any network issues... right?
Very likely.

crogers122
28-08-2009, 22:38

This would happen as there linked to the same exchange via same cabling, unless each modem is connected to a seperate node which is possible but unlikly

ScorchedEarth
28-08-2009, 23:19
This post has made me wonder - is it possible to have both Virgin Media cable broadband and Virgin ADSL over C&W LLU on the same account (provided you live in an area with both Virgin cable services AND a C&W LLU local BT exchange and also have a BT phone line)?

The reason I ask is that it would be great for redundancy as I know some people do it with separate ADSL providers and Virgin cable broadband but why not keep it all with the same company for billing simplicity?

My mum lives in just such an area so it may be worthwhile doing in the future if it was possible instead of the 2 cable modems at the address she currently has as it is a bit worrying that if there is ever a fault presently the chances are she'll lose both connections at once!

musicbravo
28-08-2009, 23:22
wow another bumped thread

BenMcr
28-08-2009, 23:40
This post has made me wonder - is it possible to have both Virgin Media cable broadband and Virgin ADSL over C&W LLU on the same account (provided you live in an area with both Virgin cable services AND a C&W LLU local BT exchange and also have a BT phone line)Well yes that would probably be possible if you really wanted it do it

You would have two seperate accounts though as you can't mix the two - it's two cable accounts that aren't allowed

theoldbill
29-08-2009, 00:01
I think the thing here is if you /really/ wanted more than one cable connection, you /could/ get it either by going down the residential and business route, OR by having a contact 'in the know' who could pull some strings internally (the sales rep I mentioned in my previous comment /did/ mention the method of adding a 'a' to the property number for billing setup).

There is also the option of a neighbour (who does not want broadband) adding it to his account and you having the modem at your place. No doubt the VM guys here will say 'you're not supposed to do that' but if the bills are being paid and (I presume) the lack of tools to prove what the setup was, it could be another solution.

BenMcr
29-08-2009, 00:24
(the sales rep I mentioned in my previous comment /did/ mention the method of adding a 'a' to the property number for billing setup).That hasn't worked since before the rebrand to VM. Any address also has to be verified against the Royal Mail database.

So even if Sales agent says 'oh look there is a 43a' if it's not a valid address then they still aren't going to get services

There is also the option of a neighbour (who does not want broadband) adding it to his account and you having the modem at your place. No doubt the VM guys here will say 'you're not supposed to do that' but if the bills are being paid and (I presume) the lack of tools to prove what the setup was, it could be another solution.Then of course you have the whole issue of faults. If the modem went wrong for whatever reason and Virgin needed to send an engineer - you would have to move the modem back to the neighbours along with any PC equipment

It also means you are then reliant on someone else paying for your service.

theoldbill
29-08-2009, 00:40
Then of course you have the whole issue of faults. If the modem went wrong for whatever reason and Virgin needed to send an engineer - you would have to move the modem back to the neighbours along with any PC equipment

It also means you are then reliant on someone else paying for your service.

That's why only asking a neighbour you trust would make this a workable solution. The faults issue wouldn't be an issue if you understood from the outset the leg work you may need to do if there were ever problems - you need to have more faith in the service you are keen to toe the company line for with every reply! :D

BenMcr
29-08-2009, 00:46
Even Virgin themselves would admit there is no way to ever run a 100% fault free service