PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Holidays?

Sunkissed Suzie
02-05-2008, 14:38
HI all,
After deciding yesterday that i wanted to learn more about cooking I did some research on the net and found a site that deals in cooking holidays, I nor any of my friends have been on one of these before so have nothing to go by, but I was woundering if any of you could give me advice and/or feedback? the site i found is based in the Uk and is www.destination-cooking.co.uk
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers

alferret
02-05-2008, 16:36
We all know the French cant cook, it just sounds impressive when they put "La" or "Le" in front of it.

I love to cook, I do over 90% of the cooking in our house and the kids and missus love it, Indian, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Thai, Chinese etc. But to go on a cooking holiday to learn how to cook, nah sorry I don’t get it. Seems like a waste of money to me.
College\evening classes would probably stand you in better stead than forking out all that money on a course abroad.

If you got money burning a hole, get some good cook books, source the ingredients and cook for your family and friends they will appreciate it more than you think because of the effort you put in to it rather than a holiday slide show with different foods you cooked whilst eating the finest offerings from Kentucky.

handyman
02-05-2008, 17:53
We all know the French cant cook, it just sounds impressive when they put "La" or "Le" in front of it.

Most of the techniques used in 'Modern British' cooking are French.

Saute
Gratin
Jus
Consomme
Papillote
Roux
Veloute
Beurre Noisette

Etc....

alferret
02-05-2008, 18:30
The word may be associated with cooking terminology but the vast majority of those methods have been in use around the world for years under varying names its just people tend to use the French version.
I still think the French can't cook, but then that is my opinion.

Sunkissed Suzie
02-05-2008, 20:04
Thanks guys, all opinions welcome!!! The more the merrier I say!

Hom3r
02-05-2008, 20:22
There loads of great British food out there to cook

I do agree that give a food a poncy French title and people will pay more for it.

The Hitman
02-05-2008, 21:10
There loads of great British food out there to cook

I do agree that give a food a poncy French title and people will pay more for it.

Poisson-frites avec les pois détrempés :D

danielf
02-05-2008, 22:00
The word may be associated with cooking terminology but the vast majority of those methods have been in use around the world for years under varying names its just people tend to use the French version.
I still think the French can't cook, but then that is my opinion.

What exactly do you mean when you say the French can't cook?

alferret
02-05-2008, 22:28
What exactly do you mean when you say the French can't cook?

Je l'expliquerai clairement.
Le français croit qu'ils ont inventé des joies de cullinary où en fait tout ce qu'ils nous ont donné est l'haleine puante, je n'ai aucun amour pour le français et n'importe quoi de la France bien que j'aie visité quelques fois les aisselles poilues et l'ail ne me font aucun service.
Comme c'est mon opinion personnelle et les aliments poncey ne sont pas àmon penchant j'ignorerai tout que je le peux venir de la France. becasue je peux et je veux à. Cela peut ne pas être le meilleur arguement dans le monde mais c'est le mien' et ils nous ont donné de frites et le poulet royal.
Soyez donc cela.

So in finishing the french cant cook, or should I be as bold as to say 2 beans a scallop and some herbs do NOT make a meal.
Again this is just my opinion, and as my opinion matters to me thats what I live by :D

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

You can keep the mushy peas ;)

danielf
02-05-2008, 22:39
[QUOTE=alferret;34543371]Je l'expliquerai clairement.
Le français croit qu'ils ont inventé des joies de cullinary où en fait tout ce qu'ils nous ont donné est l'haleine puante, je n'ai aucun amour pour le français et n'importe quoi de la France bien que j'aie visité quelques fois les aisselles poilues et l'ail ne me font aucun service.
Comme c'est mon opinion personnelle et les aliments poncey ne sont pas àmon penchant j'ignorerai tout que je le peux venir de la France. becasue je peux et je veux à. Cela peut ne pas être le meilleur arguement dans le monde mais c'est le mien' et ils nous ont donné de frites et le poulet royal.
Soyez donc cela.

So in finishing the french cant cook, or should I be as bold as to say 2 beans a scallop and some herbs do NOT make a meal.
Again this is just my opinion, and as my opinion matters to me thats what I live by :D
[quote]

Smelly breath and hairy armpits LOL

In my experience decent food is a lot easier to find in France than in the UK. Plus, they know how to cook a steak, which is more than you can say about most Brits :)

Cobbydaler
02-05-2008, 23:08
HI all,
After deciding yesterday that i wanted to learn more about cooking I did some research on the net and found a site that deals in cooking holidays, I nor any of my friends have been on one of these before so have nothing to go by, but I was woundering if any of you could give me advice and/or feedback? the site i found is based in the Uk and is www.destination-cooking.co.uk (http://www.destination-cooking.co.uk)
Cheers

http://www.cookingholidays.co.uk/

Have a large selection...

alferret
02-05-2008, 23:44
[quote=alferret;34543371]Je l'expliquerai clairement.
Soyez donc cela.

[quote]

Smelly breath and hairy armpits LOL

In my experience decent food is a lot easier to find in France than in the UK. Plus, they know how to cook a steak, which is more than you can say about most Brits :)

Should steak be replaced by horse? We all know the continent enjoys a good bit of thoroughbred once in a while :dozey:
I didnt say we in the UK had good cooks, although I do think we have some excellent cooks but why choose France as per the link by the OP there are many countries that provide a far better culinary experience than France. Spain and Italy spring to mind. I personally think Spain is not represented enough with culinary circles and yet the food of the people is among the best I have tasted.
Last time in Spain I had the opportunity to taste and explore local delicacies from the Murcia region. Pigs trotters with an onion and potato Hmmmmmm :o: and not the French Le pied de cochon, something totally different, but the Spanish name evades me at the moment.
Son pas en haut la révolution son vive la espania.

danielf
03-05-2008, 00:29
Should steak be replaced by horse? We all know the continent enjoys a good bit of thoroughbred once in a while :dozey:

What's wrong with eating horse? I've eaten smoked horse meat. It's quite good actually.

I didnt say we in the UK had good cooks, although I do think we have some excellent cooks but why choose France as per the link by the OP there are many countries that provide a far better culinary experience than France. Spain and Italy spring to mind. I personally think Spain is not represented enough with culinary circles and yet the food of the people is among the best I have tasted.

Oh yes, I love Spanish cuisine. Honest food, good ingredients, and not too much faffing about. Still, I think that saying 'the French can't cook' is a bit silly. French cuisine is overrated, yes possibly. But they can't cook. Nah...

Last time in Spain I had the opportunity to taste and explore local delicacies from the Murcia region. Pigs trotters with an onion and potato Hmmmmmm :o: and not the French Le pied de cochon, something totally different, but the Spanish name evades me at the moment.
Son pas en haut la révolution son vive la espania.

Next time you're in Spain, head for the 'Parte Vieja' in San Sebastian. Home of the Cucina Miniatura. Countless tapas bars, each with their own specialties. Spend the evening hopping from place to place, enjoy a tinto everywhere, and go back the next day not being able to find that one bar as there's so many of them (and the tinto of course). It's unlike anything I've seen elsewhere in Spain. One of Spain's culinary hotspots. You will not be disappointed.

Sunkissed Suzie
06-05-2008, 15:07
Well see that my post has started abit of a riot!!! Did anyone get a chance to check out destination-cooking.co.uk ? All feedback welcome!!!!

softbaps
07-05-2008, 13:16
I just got back from a holiday in Puccia with Thomson through these guys..

Was great and good value for money, also sneaked in some wine tasting, perfecto xoxoxox:angel:

Watching You
08-05-2008, 10:20
HI all,
After deciding yesterday that I wanted to learn more about cooking I did some research on the net and found a site that deals in cooking holidays, I nor any of my friends have been on one of these before so have nothing to go by, but I was wondering if any of you could give me advice and/or feedback? the site I found is based in the Uk and is www.destination-cooking.co.uk

Sunkissed Suzie,

All this talk about French or non French foods, however, the world is your oyster (in culinary terms anyway). But if you like Thai food, you should love making it even more especially going to the markets to buy the fresh ingredients.

I had a friend who did this one a while back, hoping you like Thai food, is the Blue Elephant cookery school (http://www.blueelephant.com/school/index.html). I would certainly give this ***** recommendation.

PS. It does mean you will have to travel to Thailand for this, but I know there are other schools based here in the UK, but it's not as much fun going to Sainburys or Tescos on a wet dark October evening for the ingredients compared with buying them fresh, in the sunshine, at a Thai market, ahh….I can smell them now.

Sunkissed Suzie
08-05-2008, 12:10
Puccia! Sounds lovely SB! Did you cook or was it more o a wine tasting experience (which is still nice!!!)
Would you reccomend using them as a holiday, I did see that you can choose your own region, Brittany sounds nice to me: With delicious local seafood and a wide selection of traditional French food markets, Brittany is a dream for any food lover.
Now thats the life I want!!!

MikeyB
08-05-2008, 13:14

Fish and chips with peas soaked (according to Google translate!) :erm:
Gotta love those soaked peas!!! :rolleyes:

softbaps
09-05-2008, 12:23
Yeah we cooked, with all fresh ingerdients bought from local markets the accommodation was fantastic, and strangely it all went without a single hitch.

I would seriously recoomend this, although I am not sure about Britttany the PUccia way of life is just outstanding, relaxed, warm, friendly.

5*'s for me, I dint wuite grasp all the recipes but my knowledge is much better xoxo