PDA

View Full Version : Using my ntlworld email account when not connected to NTL

hurstnicholas
01-05-2008, 12:17
Hi
i need to be able to send emails using my NTL email account when not connected to NTL (i.e. when travelling and via WiFi).
This, I believe, requires NTL to use "SMTP Authentication".
Have NTL/VM started offering this yet, please? I heard they were due to from March of this year.
i have found instructions from Feb 2007 on their website on how to set it up, but they seem premature, because they don't work.
Thank you.

Wicked_and_Crazy
01-05-2008, 12:19
Could you use the browser to access your mail account here?

http://webmail.ntlworld.com/

hurstnicholas
01-05-2008, 13:09
Could you use the browser to access your mail account here?

Thank you for this suggestion, however I would like to use Outlook, so that all my sent and received emails are kept in one, centralised location.

chickendippers
01-05-2008, 13:58
I think it's linked more to security, to help prevent people from sending spam through VM's mailservers by non-customers.

Kymmy
01-05-2008, 14:05
Either pay for access to an SMTP server, or use whichever SMTP server is provided by whichever company you are connected to at that time or as suggested use webmail to SMTP when not directly connected to thier network even with authenticated smtp. As chickdippers says it's purely a question of security and VM will not allow a NON-direct connection to SMTP...If they did then they're open to spammers using thier system and that means then that SPAMHOUSE/SPAMCOP would blacklist thier IP's

Kymmy

hurstnicholas
01-05-2008, 14:17
Either pay for access to an SMTP server, or use whichever SMTP server is provided by whichever company you are connected to at that time or as suggested use webmail to SMTP when not directly connected to thier network even with authenticated smtp. As chickdippers says it's purely a question of security and VM will not allow a NON-direct connection to SMTP...If they did then they're open to spammers using thier system and that means then that SPAMHOUSE/SPAMCOP would blacklist thier IP's

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

I wonder why VM went to all the trouble of producing this info then?
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_advanced_smtpauthenti cation
My word, they really are a shambles aren't they?!

chickendippers
01-05-2008, 16:00
That's the ex-Telewest help site. Perhaps it's different with a blueyonder email address?

Kymmy
02-05-2008, 09:28
If you follow through the CABLE (and not the ADSL section) help to the email page it states

Email on the web provides an alternative method of reading and sending email than using mail applications such as Outlook Express.

It allows you to receive or send your email wherever you have access to the Internet. You don't have to use your Broadband connection on your home computer as it provides similar functions to email clients such as Outlook Express.
Functionality provided include:
the ability to send and receive email
adding attachments e.g. Photos
create signatures
create address lists and manage folders, etc.

SO literally saying that if you want email anywhere then use the webmail.

And YES the VM webiste is a mess, the ADSL sections and cable sections are very non-distinct from each other apart from the point of entry, also there are old sections that as stated are leftover from the telewest/NTL merger....

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
02-05-2008, 18:03
Here is the NTL Webmail link below.
And also above.:LOL:

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-05-2008, 18:26
Here is the NTL Webmail link below.

That would be the same as in post 2 then :rolleyes:

whydoIneedatech
02-05-2008, 18:28
That would be the same as in post 2 then :rolleyes:

So good they posted it TWICE:LOL:

cleshe
03-05-2008, 13:24
Hi
i need to be able to send emails using my NTL email account when not connected to NTL (i.e. when travelling and via WiFi).
This, I believe, requires NTL to use "SMTP Authentication".
Have NTL/VM started offering this yet, please? I heard they were due to from March of this year.
i have found instructions from Feb 2007 on their website on how to set it up, but they seem premature, because they don't work.
Thank you.

mail2web works ok to pick up your email. I have no idea about sending though, never tried it. What's wrong with using googlemail or hotmail instead?

Kymmy
03-05-2008, 17:13
The thing is that you can pick up your mail just about anywhere, The OP wanted to be able to send mail...The problem there is that just about most ISP's block SMTP access to anyone not connected directly to thier network.

One solution is to run your own SMTP server on your home cable network then have it relay via NTL/VM's SMTP servers... As long as you have a dynamic DNS service or a fixed IP it's easy enough to do but does mean having a PC running all the time at home.

Kymmy