PDA

View Full Version : New cable network

cliftonarms
30-04-2008, 08:44
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Does anyone here know of where I can find a definative list of where new cables are to be installed. We are in a no-cable area and I would like to know if we will ever get it !!

MovedGoalPosts
30-04-2008, 09:00
If your area isn't cabled, it's unlikely that it will be. The only expansion that might take place is for big buisiness corporate customers who have plenty of money, and thus potential profit. Residential networks just isn't going to happen with Virgin Media so debt ridden.

the-cable-guy
30-04-2008, 15:31
my old address in a diff area had cable, however i checked the other day on the VM website & its no longer cabled. what would be a reason for this ?

Jonnymeg
30-04-2008, 15:49
my old address in a diff area had cable, however i checked the other day on the VM website & its no longer cabled. what would be a reason for this ?
Mod edit (Gavin): Removed

jungleguy
30-04-2008, 20:25
As for digging up the road to lay new cable you got no chance. If your property has been built recently, and your more than 3 meters from the network you not gonna get cable, sorry

As for previously serviceable areas suddenly becoming non serviceable. That would be an error in the VM data base. VM don't remove all the cables and cabinets. The most important thing is the ducting where the cables get pulled through. If thats there you can have cable. If the data base is wrong you will need to get VM to amend this...... you'll need a spotter, good luck.

Some new developments are being cabled. The problem is that BT pay the developer £90 per unit to wire up each property. VM charge or sometimes do it for free. So most new builds are not cabled...... crazy i know, when you consider BT charge £130 per customer for instal, and VM charge £30. Maybe VM should charge £100 for new build, and pay to put cable into new build.

the-cable-guy
01-05-2008, 18:37
Mod edit (Gavin): Removed

? why what did he say to get it admin edited ?

MovedGoalPosts
01-05-2008, 19:05
something inappropriate ;) but that is :notopic:

the-cable-guy
02-05-2008, 06:10
well i went past there the other day & half the street is gone lol so i guess thats why.

cliftonarms
02-05-2008, 11:03
So basically, if I haven't got cable now I never will have. :bigcry:

Trouble is we moved to "the country" and have gone from 10Mbps cable in our old house to 250Kbps telephone broadband in our new house. I am a geek at heart and the speed reduction kills me, the line is also only up 60% of the day as we are 7Km from the nearest exchange.

I think I am going to look at Vodafone 3G mobile broadband as there is a transmitter aerial 600m away.

Nidge
04-05-2008, 11:30
There is a new estate near where I live which has Virgin, I noticed the other day when I called round to one of the houses that most of them had Virgin boxes on the outside of the houses. The estate has only been finished a few months.