PDA

View Full Version : Zyban

Nidge
28-04-2008, 17:34
After the events of the last few weeks I've decided to give up the ciggies, I've been to the doctors this morning and he's put me on a course of Zyban, I can still smoke for the first 5-7 days then the drug kicks in and your away. Has anyone been on the Zyban and had good results??

peanut
28-04-2008, 17:44
After the events of the last few weeks I've decided to give up the ciggies, I've been to the doctors this morning and he's put me on a course of Zyban, I can still smoke for the first 5-7 days then the drug kicks in and your away. Has anyone been on the Zyban and had good results??

My brother used that and he's not smoked since so it worked for him. The other bad thing I've read (you always hear the bad) is that some people tend to top themselves whilst on it. Other than that, sounds ok. :)

I think it blocks the pleasure receptors in the brain or something like that, so you'll soon forget all about sex, chocolate, etc things like that soon.

Nidge
28-04-2008, 18:05
My brother used that and he's not smoked since so it worked for him. The other bad thing I've read (you always hear the bad) is that some people tend to top themselves whilst on it. Other than that, sounds ok. :)

I think it blocks the pleasure receptors in the brain or something like that, so you'll soon forget all about sex, chocolate, etc things like that soon.

Cheers mate thanks for the reply. I hope it works for me because I've had enough of smoking.

peanut
28-04-2008, 18:11
Cheers mate thanks for the reply. I hope it works for me because I've had enough of smoking.

I had enough too, then I ain't, then I have, then I ain't.....

But good luck anyway, just keep positive and keep remembering why you are giving up. Let us know how you get on with it.

handyman
28-04-2008, 18:39
Gave up over 3 years ago and already saved over £5500 :-)

Nidge
28-04-2008, 18:46
Gave up over 3 years ago and already saved over £5500 :-)

That's what I'm looking at doing, 20 bensons a day @ £5.50 a packet X by 365 days equates to £2,000 a year. Not a bad saving that.

Raistlin
28-04-2008, 18:58
Can't really add much more to this thread other than to say good luck :tu:

I gave up a few years ago, just stopped completely, and I still have cravings sometimes.

Sirius
28-04-2008, 18:58

Good luck Nidge.

I gave them up 4 years ago using Zyban. Have NEVER touched a ciggie since and dont need to.

frogstamper
28-04-2008, 19:09
That's what I'm looking at doing, 20 bensons a day @ £5.50 a packet X by 365 days equates to £2,000 a year. Not a bad saving that.

Even living here on the south coast with easy access to the ferries and channel tunnel, going to France for my cigarette's is getting increasingly expensive. Where as a few years back 200 B+H were £21.00, now they are £37.00, so unless you are buying 1000s the saving isn't so great, add to that when you have so many cigarettes at home you tend to smoke more anyway. As with all these "smoking solutions" Nidge, ultimately its down to you, anyway good luck mate.:D:smokin::td:

mr_bo
28-04-2008, 21:09
Good luck with the Zyban, let us know how it is..

Even living here on the south coast with easy access to the ferries and channel tunnel, going to France for my cigarette's is getting increasingly expensive. Where as a few years back 200 B+H were £21.00, now they are £37.00, so unless you are buying 1000s the saving isn't so great, add to that when you have so many cigarettes at home you tend to smoke more anyway. As with all these "smoking solutions" Nidge, ultimately its down to you, anyway good luck mate.:D:smokin::td:

Pride of Bilbao :disturbd:

alferret
28-04-2008, 22:05
Dont know about Zyban personally although my missus tried with them and it didnt work as well as a guy from work although he has cut down quite a lot.

Champix IIRC has had 5 suicides directly linked with it, but the rate for giving up is higher after 1 year on Champix than Zyban.

Best of luck in your quest for giving up mate.

I'm 2 years and 2 weeks a non smoker.

superbiatch
28-04-2008, 22:14

I think you're confusing Zyban with Champix. Zyban was originally an anti-depressant which was found to help people quit smoking. People who have any major health conditions and especially seizure related should not use Zyban. We prescribe it to few people these days, but for those who do use it - quit rates are good. It was introduced here for smoking cessation about 4 years ago.

Champix (the new wonder drug) affects the receptors in the brain and makes smoking not as pleasurable. After a few days most wonder why they actually smoke at all and give up smoking by about day 10. There are very few contra-indications with Champix, although a history of mental health problems might well rule you out as there have been some possibly-linked suicide (and suicide attempts) in the last 12 months.

Unfortunately we don't know if these people were likely to have commited (or tried to commit) suicide if they hadn't used Champix and I know Pfizer are looking into this at the moment. Initial results with Champix in my area show 60% of those who are quit at 4 week follow up, are still quit 6 months later - so looking good so far.

Enuff
28-04-2008, 22:56
Dont know about Zyban personally although my missus tried with them and it didnt work as well as a guy from work although he has cut down quite a lot.

Champix IIRC has had 5 suicides directly linked with it, but the rate for giving up is higher after 1 year on Champix than Zyban.

Best of luck in your quest for giving up mate.

I'm 2 years and 2 weeks a non smoker.

You must mean Chantix (http://www.drugs.com/chantix.html)

Tezcatlipoca
28-04-2008, 23:18
Chantix (US) = Champix (Europe) = Varenicline

Nidge
29-04-2008, 05:04
Good luck Nidge.

I gave them up 4 years ago using Zyban. Have NEVER touched a ciggie since and dont need to.

Cheers Sirus I'll see how I get on. According to the Doctor Zyban has a good rate of sucess, I'm a bit miffed that I have to carry on smoking while taking the tablets.

peanut
29-04-2008, 07:03
I think you're confusing Zyban with Champix. Zyban was originally an anti-depressant which was found to help people quit smoking. People who have any major health conditions and especially seizure related should not use Zyban. We prescribe it to few people these days, but for those who do use it - quit rates are good. It was introduced here for smoking cessation about 4 years ago.

Champix (the new wonder drug) affects the receptors in the brain and makes smoking not as pleasurable. After a few days most wonder why they actually smoke at all and give up smoking by about day 10. There are very few contra-indications with Champix, although a history of mental health problems might well rule you out as there have been some possibly-linked suicide (and suicide attempts) in the last 12 months.

Unfortunately we don't know if these people were likely to have commited (or tried to commit) suicide if they hadn't used Champix and I know Pfizer are looking into this at the moment. Initial results with Champix in my area show 60% of those who are quit at 4 week follow up, are still quit 6 months later - so looking good so far.

No I did mean Zyban, there's plenty of info about it including here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2795391.stm) and here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/03/11/hhell11.xml).

superbiatch
29-04-2008, 09:03
No I did mean Zyban, there's plenty of info about it including here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2795391.stm) and here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/03/11/hhell11.xml).

I didn't know about them deaths, but then again i suppose the pharmaceutical companies are hardly gonna tell me about them are they :rolleyes:. The ones i know of have been seizure related which is the big risk factor we have to look out for when we're requesting Zyban from the GP.

Good luck Nidge, i'm sure you'll be fine. Don't read too much into the related deaths, there are too many possibilities that zyban may or may not have contributed and no solid evidence as yet. If you read all the information you have with your tablets and if you have any questions or worries, speak to your GP, your pharmacy or your local stop smoking service.

tweetypie/8
29-04-2008, 11:11

the best of luck to you nidge in packing in the fags,but personally i think if you really want to quit just do it without these so called aids,i unfortunatley enjoy my fags and have no notion of quitting but should the occasion ever arise i think i am man enough to do it on my own bat,lol.

KaySquirrel
29-04-2008, 11:20
Good luck Nidge. I quit in April 2004, and now sometimes even have trouble remembering that I used to smoke. It just (now) seems to be such a NON-part of my life that I can't believe I would ever have wanted to smoke, if that makes sense.

No idea about Zyban, though. Just wanted to add my 2cents about the "helpful" information other ex-smokers sometimes give. You hear lots of people saying things like 'Oh, I quit 20 years ago and some days I STILL want a smoke!', like as if they're trying to warn you that for the rest of your non-smoking life you're doomed to always having that urge.. Not always true.

I don't want one. Don't want to smell anyone else having one. (And wish I could build a time machine to go back and smack the stuffing out of Younger KaySquirrel for ever trying one in the first place. :rolleyes:) So don't let those gloomy warnings bring you down!

Best of luck to you! :)

superbiatch
29-04-2008, 15:29
the best of luck to you nidge in packing in the fags,but personally i think if you really want to quit just do it without these so called aids,i unfortunatley enjoy my fags and have no notion of quitting but should the occasion ever arise i think i am man enough to do it on my own bat,lol.

Why make it difficult for yourself? You are four times more likely to quit using support provided by a local stop smoking service, team that up with a therapy such as NRT or Champix - you stand in a much better position to quit and stay quit for good.

Here is the latest on NHS Direct and it covers all therapies available. http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=437&sectionId=11#

Enuff
29-04-2008, 15:41
I haven't had a ciggy for about 8 years. The cravings slowly get further apart as time goes by. I used a week of patches then the rest was a shear unwavering firmness of character. (willpower).

Jules
30-04-2008, 11:56
I can't Zyban but I have heard it has good success rates. Good luck Nidge I know you can do it :tu:

Nidge
03-05-2008, 21:06
Just a quick update on the zyban folks, I've had to ease off them because of the side effects, the side effects were unreal and anyone who wishes to try Zyban I urge them to think about it and think about the side effects that come with Zyban. They have made me ease off the ciggies but I just couldn't put up with the effects that come with taking the tablets.

Angua
03-05-2008, 23:28

Good luck and it sounds as though you are in the right frame of mind to succeed :tu: