PDA

View Full Version : glasgow ntlhome100 wifi router dopout, help?

Fergie Boy
28-04-2008, 17:57
I have my PC upstairs using a dell 1450 wireless usb adaptor. Downstairs the ntl:home 100 modem is plugged into a PEAK 6147 router. Virgin Media 4Mb.

The problem is that when I am trying to watch streaming video or downloading my connection will run at decent speed for 20 seconds or so before shutting down completely for about 30 seconds. The timing of these dropouts is very consistent, good for 20 seconds then nothing for 30 then good for another 20.

I only noticed a weak ago but the cause could be from longer ago, I've only been doing general browsing the past couple of months and my connection is fine for that. I don't think I have changed any settings and I have been able to download TV programmes pretty quickly previously, 45min programme downloaded in about an hour.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going, on and how to fix it?
(did some surfing and the only thing that got close was something about virgin sending packets that messes up routers)

Thanks for helping a newbie

chickendippers
28-04-2008, 18:28
Does it happen when you plug your computer directly into the modem?

Fergie Boy
28-04-2008, 18:32
I was hoping someone would be able to help me without resorting to that as the PC is upstairs, modem is downstairs and they don't make an ethe cable that long. I might have an old laptop lying around to test it with if I haven't thrown it out and can find it.

whydoIneedatech
28-04-2008, 23:50
I was hoping someone would be able to help me without resorting to that as the PC is upstairs, modem is downstairs and they don't make an ethe cable that long. I might have an old laptop lying around to test it with if I haven't thrown it out and can find it.

You can get ethernet leads whatever length you require, but it is probably more cost effective to carry your PC downstairs and connect direct to the modem, as no troubleshooting can be carried out without the PC being connected to the modem, you would be told this if you called Tech Support as well.:)

Fergie Boy
29-04-2008, 00:13
Flat mate had been messing about with the router and hadn't told me, I missed a check box when checking my settings, and it seems to be working fine again, now that things are back as they were,

thanks for your time guys

cleshe
30-04-2008, 12:29
I have my PC upstairs using a dell 1450 wireless usb adaptor. Downstairs the ntl:home 100 modem is plugged into a PEAK 6147 router. Virgin Media 4Mb.

The problem is that when I am trying to watch streaming video or downloading my connection will run at decent speed for 20 seconds or so before shutting down completely for about 30 seconds. The timing of these dropouts is very consistent, good for 20 seconds then nothing for 30 then good for another 20.

I only noticed a weak ago but the cause could be from longer ago, I've only been doing general browsing the past couple of months and my connection is fine for that. I don't think I have changed any settings and I have been able to download TV programmes pretty quickly previously, 45min programme downloaded in about an hour.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going, on and how to fix it?
(did some surfing and the only thing that got close was something about virgin sending packets that messes up routers)

Thanks for helping a newbie

If you are on any more than the slowest package of broadband, you would probably need a newer modem.The one you have is in all probability restricting your speed.When/if you get the 10Mbps upgrade it will certainly not be good enough.

whydoIneedatech
30-04-2008, 13:32
If you are on any more than the slowest package of broadband, you would probably need a newer modem.The one you have is in all probability restricting your speed.When/if you get the 10Mbps upgrade it will certainly not be good enough.

The Ambit 100 is capable of 12Mb but I would call Tech Support for a new modem.:)