PDA

View Full Version : Cable from Street to House

Markjp
26-04-2008, 22:10
Does anyone know how the cable from the street to your house is supposed to be laid?

We have a front garden and the cable comes through a wall at the front of the garden and is then on top of the flower bed for 3ft or so then it goes under the drive to the house. The cable is not in any pipe or anything to protect it.

Is this acceptable or should it be laid in some sort of protective pipe?

Can I get Virgin to redo it? and will I have to pay?

Regards

Mark

progers
26-04-2008, 22:30
It should be underground, normally in a flexible green plastic conduit

moaningmags
27-04-2008, 00:36
Mines comes across the garden under about 1 inch of soil. Then it goes round the side of my paving and into the wall. Just plain wires, not in any cover.

Jonnymeg
27-04-2008, 09:44
It should be in a cover and buried. If this is not the case and you are not happy then you need to make that call.

jungleguy
28-04-2008, 10:38
it should be buried within a green conduit or tacked along a wall or fence. If this is a new instal I'd complain ASAP, and it should be done for free.

the-cable-guy
29-04-2008, 10:14
mine is under ground.

Wicked_and_Crazy
29-04-2008, 12:15
Can I get Virgin to redo it? and will I have to pay?

Regards

Mark

Does it work? are you likely to cut into it?

the-cable-guy
30-04-2008, 00:18
to be fair thats beside the point it shouldnt be on top of a flower bed.

Markjp
02-05-2008, 15:14
Does it work? are you likely to cut into it?

Unfortunately I have already damaged the cable.

I was clearing the flower bed which was overgrown (moved to this house 18 months ago) and I put a spade through the cable, cut telephone, tv and bb. I had no idea the cable was there. I have done a temporary repair.

I feel virgin should re-lay the cable properly at their expense.

dave_dph
02-05-2008, 17:00

I was clearing the flower bed which was overgrown (moved to this house 18 months ago) and I put a spade through the cable, cut telephone, tv and bb. I had no idea the cable was there. I have done a temporary repair.

If you phone them and explain what has happened, say that the cable was very near to the surface of the soil and they will do come and sort it at no cost.

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-05-2008, 17:55

Totally agree

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

to be fair thats beside the point it shouldnt be on top of a flower bed.

I agree but if there was no chance it was going to get damaged then there would be no point in moving it.

My cable is on the surface in one place, as its under a laurel bush it doesnt matter to me