PDA

View Full Version : new install, whats installed on PC?

zoombini
25-04-2008, 22:30
HI, its been a long time since I had NTL BB, however its being setup for the muminlaw shortly.

What I want to know is will the enigneer try & install some awful software on the PC or can I connect without it?

I'd rather not have anything installed esp when its not needed.

What are the settings needed?
Cheers,
Zoom.

piggy
25-04-2008, 22:33
HI, its been a long time since I had NTL BB, however its being setup for the muminlaw shortly.

What I want to know is will the enigneer try & install some awful software on the PC or can I connect without it?

Cheers,
Zoom.

no software needed just plug the modem in and away you go ;)

whydoIneedatech
25-04-2008, 22:41

Cheers,
Zoom.

If the Tech leaves a disk then just use it as a coaster, most times it no longer works in XP and is not compatible with Vista, its just plug in and play in most cases.:)

zoombini
25-04-2008, 23:01
Cheers but what about proxy settings etc?

Kymmy
25-04-2008, 23:09

It's all done via DHCP so just set your ethernet TCPIP settings to automatic and away you go.... (that is after you've visited the registration pages)

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
26-04-2008, 00:17

As Kymmy says the is no requirement for Proxy settings, you might have to keep your fingers crossed with regards to the proxy pages working, but any call to Tech support to get your modem registered will be free.;)

MovedGoalPosts
26-04-2008, 01:36
Some time ago the requirement for use of proxy's was turned off.

Very simply, assuming that it is a clean install of windows, and thus the network connection and internet explorer settings are all on auto detect, it will be a case of power everything off, connect the cable modem via ethernet to PC, power modem let settle then power PC. follow the register modem as indicated by VM in their letter / pamphlet.

BenMcr
26-04-2008, 01:40
And from basically now for all cable areas, unless you want a ntlworld.com/blueyonder.co.uk e-mail address, you won't even have to register anything.

It is now just plug in and go everywhere :D

If you have a letter with a eight digit PIN number on it, throw it away, cos you won't need it.

whydoIneedatech
26-04-2008, 08:14
And from basically now for all cable areas, unless you want a ntlworld.com/blueyonder.co.uk e-mail address, you won't even have to register anything.

It is now just plug in and go everywhere :D

If you have a letter with a eight digit PIN number on it, throw it away, cos you won't need it.

HI Ben, am I glad of that seeming as I have just had the NTL training, no more SABS:LOL:

smackheadz
26-04-2008, 09:13
easiest install possible - plug in and enjoy:D

the-cable-guy
28-04-2008, 12:23
although no software is required your pc may need Ethernet drivers to be installed first. best thing to do is check your pc's/motherboards etc manual to check.

zoombini
29-04-2008, 01:02
OK cheers folks.