PDA

View Full Version : speed

vaughanster
25-04-2008, 12:28
this has probably been done a thousand times, but how can i check my broadband speed? i'm on 20mb but that was when my 2 sons were at home and were downloading music , i'm not downloading anything so do i really need 20mb ,so could i move down to one of the cheaper packages? will i notice any change from say 20 to 4 or 10.dont know what the price difference is . i might as well move down as download speed is not an issue.when i do start up web pages are on in seconds ,will this change? thanks for any help...:confused::confused::confused:

refraction
25-04-2008, 12:31
if you dont download, there is no real need for 20mbit no, the internet will be just as fast on 4mbit.

Noggo
25-04-2008, 14:34
As refraction said you shouldn't see a lot of difference just general surfing. As for the price difference, for just stand alone broadband it's; £ 25.00 / month for L broadband (4Mb) which is soon to be 10Mb (free upgrade)
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/broadband_l.html

If you have other VM services you might well find it cheaper.

Virgin Medias `Where's my upgrade' weblink: (doesn't seam to be updated much though)
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

the-cable-guy
25-04-2008, 17:22
if you dont download, there is no real need for 20mbit no, the internet will be just as fast on 4mbit.

that maybe true but if he's paying for 20MB then thats what he should be getting.

whydoIneedatech
25-04-2008, 17:29
this has probably been done a thousand times, but how can i check my broadband speed? i'm on 20mb but that was when my 2 sons were at home and were downloading music , i'm not downloading anything so do i really need 20mb ,so could i move down to one of the cheaper packages? will i notice any change from say 20 to 4 or 10.dont know what the price difference is . i might as well move down as download speed is not an issue.when i do start up web pages are on in seconds ,will this change? thanks for any help...:confused::confused::confused:

If all you do is use the internet for browsing then 2Mb would be sufficient, call 150 and tell them you want to downgrade and tell them why.:)