PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about a forum matter

Central
24-04-2008, 08:54
I know this is a long shot.

If someone on a forum is making untruthful remarks about me on a forum and using my real name can anything be done?

Cheers

Angua
24-04-2008, 09:12
You should report this to a Mod by PM ASAP and to be safe print out any incidents to avoid denial of any such posting by the offending person.

punky
24-04-2008, 09:13
Ask the forum admin to step in.

Other than that, it can be a difficult legal position to persue otherwise.

webcrawler2050
24-04-2008, 10:10
First step is to speak to Mod / Admin

Failing that you can issue a Cease this has to be donw by the court and proove its harmfull.

I can take up to 3 weeks and the forum admin / mod has no choice to do remove the comments.

Central
24-04-2008, 13:31
Its on a forum where me and my partner use and people are trying to tell her i am cheating on her with another forum member the other forum member is part of this group and is going along with it. Its upsetting her.

I have tried to go to site admin been told tough.

kryogenik
24-04-2008, 13:39
Just a couple of things worth a go, though I don't know what the site situ is.
If it's a board hosted by an company (such at network54.com or freeboards.com) you could always try complaining to their abuse dept if the site admin won't listen. If the forum is installed software (VB, PHPBB etc) hosted by an individual's account then you could try complaining to their hosts.
I must stress neither of these are guaranteed solutions and both might tell you to take it up with the admins, but in some cases they may intervene if the site admin is being deliberately awkward. I know the free hosts just don't want the hassle so do tend to have a word.

All that said, if the members of a forum are prepared to do this to two partners who are also members, then I'd say it's a forum you'd both be well rid of.
That's the problem sorted right there and instantly.

HTH

Raistlin
24-04-2008, 15:54
Seriously mate, get shot of that Forum now - it solves both your problems:

1. Neither you or your partner need to read the stupid upsetting posts from these idiots.
2. You cut off a primary means of communicating with the person that you're supposed to be having an affair with, by doing so voluntarily you will go some way to showing your partner that there's nothing in it.

Honestly, it's just not worth hanging around in a forum like that.

Tell you what, both of you quit that forum and come here and post more instead - the locals here might be strange, but at least we're nice.....mostly :erm:

kryogenik
24-04-2008, 15:59
...and we promise not to run off with your girlfriend.
;)

Raistlin
24-04-2008, 16:01
;)

Well.....some of us do :D

skyline22
24-04-2008, 16:39
surely must be another forum site similar to that one u could both switch 2 and when u switch to another site best to change user names
have u tried just changing ur user names on the site ur havin problems with

Central
24-04-2008, 17:18
surely must be another forum site similar to that one u could both switch 2 and when u switch to another site best to change user names
have u tried just changing ur user names on the site ur havin problems with

No because the admins and mods will check up on my ip and reveal me. Its happened to other members

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Seriously mate, get shot of that Forum now - it solves both your problems:

1. Neither you or your partner need to read the stupid upsetting posts from these idiots.
2. You cut off a primary means of communicating with the person that you're supposed to be having an affair with, by doing so voluntarily you will go some way to showing your partner that there's nothing in it.

Honestly, it's just not worth hanging around in a forum like that.

Tell you what, both of you quit that forum and come here and post more instead - the locals here might be strange, but at least we're nice.....mostly :erm:

Well I have Sky so I will get bashed on here :D

Raistlin
24-04-2008, 17:19
Well I have Sky so I will get bashed on here :D

Do what I do.....don't tell anybody that you have Sky and then they won't know.....

Oh crap :erm:

:D

AntiSilence
24-04-2008, 17:24
No because the admins and mods will check up on my ip and reveal me. Its happened to other members

They sound far too immature, so I'd just quit using the forum.

Raistlin
24-04-2008, 17:25
No because the admins and mods will check up on my ip and reveal me. Its happened to other members[...]

Missed this bit the first time around.

Honestly, if you (or anybody else for that matter) continues to frequent that forum then you all need your heads read. Get out now before it all gets even more out of hand.

Central
24-04-2008, 17:33
Do what I do.....don't tell anybody that you have Sky and then they won't know.....

Cant help having a superior product :erm:

I am off to hide now

Ramrod
24-04-2008, 17:36
;)Why? Have you seen a pic of her? :erm::D

Paul
24-04-2008, 18:36
Spam the forum to hell, they will then ban you - problem solved.

SMHarman
24-04-2008, 18:38
I know this is a long shot.

If someone on a forum is making untruthful remarks about me on a forum and using my real name can anything be done?

CheersYou can go after the ISP as well.
http://www.cyber-rights.org/reports/demon.htm

Octal
24-04-2008, 19:39
I was going to suggest ditching the forum, they'll soon get bored and move on and pick on someone else when they find they are getting nowhere with you, life's too short. If you don't look on the forum, then you won't get upset by all there bickering.

kryogenik
24-04-2008, 19:47
Why? Have you seen a pic of her? :erm::D

Not yet...
;)

But, jokes aside, my advice is for Be* to delete the forum from his favourites and stay away. Very hard thing to do, stay away from somewhere online when you think someone may be talking about you, but a bit of will power gives you the upper hand.
Literally, walk away from this nasty lot.
You wouldn't stay at a a table in the pub where people were upsetting you - why do it online when you've even more chance to show you're the better person by dismissing their nonsense and not visiting that URL again.
Someone else will become their target eventually. That's how these morons get their ya-ya's. Do yourself a favour and give them the middle finger and let them see the last time you logged in was weeks ago, never mind signing up with another username. What's the point.
Don't give them the satisfaction.

PeteTheMusicGuy
25-04-2008, 09:28
Be* just dont go there anymore take it from me and I know all about people spreading stuff online. I've had that problem myself in the past. If they want to behave like kids thats their problem

There are two ways the first is just to stop going there, The second is to "pay them back" and then stop going there

Nugget
25-04-2008, 09:32
Be* just dont go there anymore take it from me and I know all about people spreading stuff online. I've had that problem myself in the past. If they want to behave like kids thats their problem

There are two ways the first is just to stop going there, The second is to "pay them back" and then stop going there

Alternatively, let us know what forum it is, who the users are, and we'll just take it from there ;)

PeteTheMusicGuy
25-04-2008, 09:36
Alternatively, let us know what forum it is, who the users are, and we'll just take it from there ;)

The CF Mafia :ninja::sniper: just give us a call :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
25-04-2008, 10:10
Nugget will go round with MLM to sort them out. They are the A(wful Pun) Team.

PeteTheMusicGuy
25-04-2008, 10:13

Can I be Mr T :D

Nugget
25-04-2008, 10:15

I prefer to think of us as the A(wesome) Team actually :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
25-04-2008, 10:18
Can I be Mr T :D

Have you got over your fear of flying yet?

PeteTheMusicGuy
25-04-2008, 10:23
Have you got over your fear of flying yet?

Yes I have :p:

Stuart
25-04-2008, 11:04

:bsmack:

:ninja:

Actually, probably best not to send MLM round there..

Central
25-04-2008, 14:50
I would not want any of you lot on there. Its the spawn of the devil.

Maggy
25-04-2008, 16:17
Just walk away...The internet is a very big place and there are plenty of sites where you will be welcome.Don't even say you are leaving.Just do it.:tu:

Central
25-04-2008, 17:04
I have added the site to my routers blocked list. So none of the computers in my house can access it now

kryogenik
25-04-2008, 17:12
Good for you.