PDA

View Full Version : Website's Half Loading

xkennyx
21-04-2008, 18:03
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is at my end but for the last few days iv not been able to access a few websites.

I type in the address and then hit enter, the load bar gets halfway and then just stops, im wondering whether VM are blocking some websites?

Iv tried clearing all my browser data, Re-installing etc but still the problem occurs,

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

Jonathan90
21-04-2008, 18:30
what website your trying to access

xkennyx
21-04-2008, 18:37
what website your trying to access
Facebook, Myspace, www.pafc.co.uk
skysports.com

Its been like it for a few days now.

Paul
21-04-2008, 18:50
Why would VM block them ?

Axegrinder
21-04-2008, 19:00
www.pafc.co.uk also half loads for me, im thinking its a problem to do with the site.

ceedee
21-04-2008, 20:07
If you are anywhere west of Exeter, it might be related to this problem (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631759-dns-problems-virgin-media.html).
Nephilim and refraction both suggested workarounds here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34533673-post40.html) and here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34533683-post45.html).

Good luck!

frogstamper
21-04-2008, 20:19
Facebook, Myspace, www.pafc.co.uk
skysports.com

Its been like it for a few days now.

All these sites loaded alright from Brighton.

www.pafc.co.uk also half loads for me, im thinking its a problem to do with the site.

The Plymouth Argyle site loaded very quickly, for a Brighton supporter.;)

Deank
21-04-2008, 21:44
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is at my end but for the last few days iv not been able to access a few websites.

I type in the address and then hit enter, the load bar gets halfway and then just stops, im wondering whether VM are blocking some websites?

Iv tried clearing all my browser data, Re-installing etc but still the problem occurs,

Thanks in advance.

Kenny ive started another thread on here about this im in plymouth 2 and have had these problems since friday evening, the sites u have listed dont work for me either so its got to be a issue with virgins servers a few ppl on the thread have suggested a few things to get things running better none have worked for me but they might for you. Good luck

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

use this and set MTU to 1492 just worked for me. easy to use.

TehTech
22-04-2008, 01:45
ive started another thread on here about this im in plymouth 2 and have had these problems since friday evening, the sites u have listed dont work for me either so its got to be a issue with virgins servers a few ppl on the thread have suggested a few things to get things running better none have worked for me but they might for you. Good luck

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

use this and set MTU to 1492 just worked for me. easy to use.

I am sorry to disagree, but after using the above, it screwed with my network settings and I was transferring SLOWER than before!

On a fresh XP install, I can transfer to & from my desktop via gigabit LAN around 30-40MB/s, but after using this to "enhance" or "tweak" the settings, I was lucky to get 15MB/s

So this says to me, when you first install XP, the networking is OPTIMAL and DOES NOT NEED MESSING WITH, using these tools to change the settings is what messes it all up, so IMO just leave it how it was when you first installed XP, cos if I can get 30-40MegaBytes a second WITHOUT tweaking, why bother!!

refraction
22-04-2008, 02:28
I am sorry to disagree, but after using the above, it screwed with my network settings and I was transferring SLOWER than before!

On a fresh XP install, I can transfer to & from my desktop via gigabit LAN around 30-40MB/s, but after using this to "enhance" or "tweak" the settings, I was lucky to get 15MB/s

So this says to me, when you first install XP, the networking is OPTIMAL and DOES NOT NEED MESSING WITH, using these tools to change the settings is what messes it all up, so IMO just leave it how it was when you first installed XP, cos if I can get 30-40MegaBytes a second WITHOUT tweaking, why bother!!

it was nothing to do with "tweaking" or "enhancing" it was to get around the problem virgin introduced.

Besides, it seems to work wonders for me at work, helps our software run quicker over a gigabit network. Kind of amazed how you managed 30-40MB/sec tho, ive never seen more than 20.

TehTech
22-04-2008, 02:45
it was nothing to do with "tweaking" or "enhancing" it was to get around the problem virgin introduced.

Besides, it seems to work wonders for me at work, helps our software run quicker over a gigabit network. Kind of amazed how you managed 30-40MB/sec tho, ive never seen more than 20.

I know, especially as I have laptop > desktop PC via crossover cable!

This is what happens when you leave your network settings be!

My normal throughput is around 20-30, but when backing up or restoring using Norton Ghost it actually shot up to 63.4MB/s for a few seconds, damn now I wish I'd grabbed a screenie of it :)