10am - 3pm Download only

Notice it says download only.

During these times the following thresholds will be applied for upstream and
downstream.

Now it says it's download and upload.

10am - 3pm Download
Size XL: 6000Mb

someone got STM'd for downloading just over 3 gigs at 12:30pm
There has to be some consistency, otherwise you'll have people calling the premium support line number.

ceedee
21-04-2008, 14:34
To my knowledge, VM still haven't officially published the statement of STM trial limits that CF, newsgroup and thinkbroadband readers have seen.
So any number of people in the trial areas on being hit by the irregular STM could be wasting their money on the phone call...

Gary -- you're presuming that all three 'restrictions' are in operation in every area when it's quite possible that VM are testing these upload limits in one area and the download ones elsewhere. Give 'em a bit of time to collect the data and come up with a proper statement?

Gary L
21-04-2008, 14:51
To my knowledge, VM still haven't officially published the statement of STM trial limits that CF, newsgroup and thinkbroadband readers have seen.

But the one that has been published is the official one.

So any number of people in the trial areas on being hit by the irregular STM could be wasting their money on the phone call...

They will be wasting their money if the times and figures change to those that have been published.

Gary -- you're presuming that all three 'restrictions' are in operation in every area when it's quite possible that VM are testing these upload limits in one area and the download ones elsewhere. Give 'em a bit of time to collect the data and come up with a proper statement?

The "official statement regarding changes to the STM policy" which was published does not say that one area would be any different to another. it says the times and limits that apply to all of those areas.

ceedee
21-04-2008, 16:07
Originally Posted by ceedee: To my knowledge, VM still haven't officially published the statement of STM trial limits that CF, newsgroup and thinkbroadband readers have seen.
But the one that has been published is the official one.
I meant that it's still not on their website where most VM users would expect to find it and where it would have unquestionable legal significance. It's also apparent that if you ask TS anything more than a very simple question about the details of the trial, they say that they have to refer it to somebody else and it disappears into the ether. Kind of unusual for an 'official' policy, don't you think?

Prior to the 'new' statement, VM had resisted all calls for clarification for weeks and I suspect they won't want to alter the (nationwide, existing) STM guidance until they've concluded the trials and properly formulated future STM policy, which would include a very carefully worded statement published on their website.

They will be wasting their money if the times and figures change to those that have been published.
Agreed.
My point was that potentially tens of thousands of users in the trial areas could waste their money relying on the STM limits published on the website precisely because VM haven't included details of the trials.

The "official statement regarding changes to the STM policy" which was published does not say that one area would be any different to another. it says the times and limits that apply to all of those areas.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find reports of STM being applied selectively and outside of even these hours on the newsgroup. In fact, there have already been a couple that could well have been (even more) irregular STM.

My opinion is that the statement that was released in the newsgroup ought to be taken as 'helpful guidance' (yeah, I know!) rather than as strict policy that can be relied upon.
Feel free to take them to task, if you wish. I'll be very interested to read their re-write.

Gary L
21-04-2008, 16:22
My opinion is that the statement that was released in the newsgroup ought to be taken as 'helpful guidance' (yeah, I know!) rather than as strict policy that can be relied upon.
Feel free to take them to task, if you wish. I'll be very interested to read their re-write.

Well it was published as being official. "below is the official statement regarding changes to the STM policy"
It was published to their own customers by themselves not third hand, so to those that have read it it's official enough.

It doesn't say anywhere in there that anything is subject to change , but it does say "This updated policy" it has to be seen as the official policy as it was published by them. I don't think it can only be official if it is published on the companies website. that could be down to just plain laziness of the person who's job it was to do that.