PDA

View Full Version : SLOWWWWW 20 meg

Skuzz
20-04-2008, 17:14
Hi guys
anyone else with VM on the 20mb package and not getting the full deal?
i have had it for approx 3 weeks now and never been above the 12-13 mb download speed and usually around 1600hrs it slows down to 6mb until around midnight. I have been in touch with VM and according to the VM personell ive got no restriction in place any help advice would be appreciated,

whydoIneedatech
20-04-2008, 17:20
Try this link it can make a difference.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

trevortt
20-04-2008, 17:23
Hi guys
anyone else with VM on the 20mb package and not getting the full deal?
i have had it for approx 3 weeks now and never been above the 12-13 mb download speed and usually around 1600hrs it slows down to 6mb until around midnight. I have been in touch with VM and according to the VM personell ive got no restriction in place any help advice would be appreciated,

Since the deal is upto 20Mb you are hardly ever going to hit the actual 20Mb but, that optimisation guide does improve the connection.

SnoopZ
20-04-2008, 17:25
Since the deal is upto 20Mb you are hardly ever going to hit the actual 20Mb but, that optimisation guide does improve the connection.

I usually get it 90% of the time.

Skuzz
20-04-2008, 17:31

Thanks for the Quick reply

Just tried the link and its come back "page not found":(

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

I usually get it 90% of the time.

Yes i understand that but im paying for the 20MB service and getting (sometimes) the 6md download and usually when i want it most in the evening :(

whydoIneedatech
20-04-2008, 17:33
Try typing it in

virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

put www in front first.

icestar2
20-04-2008, 17:39
Were abouts are you Skuzz ? I get the same problem. At around 4pm my 20mb connection drops but usually to around 3-4mb. Then returns to full speed after midnight. Considering I play alot of online games around this time I can do longer do this due to majour ping spikes. I think here were being traffic and application managed. Probably because my area is over-subscribed.

Skuzz
20-04-2008, 17:42
Try typing it in

virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

put www in front first.

whydoIneedatech
AMAZING the difference www. makes however im running Vista Ultimate and it advises not to tryit on that OS
Thanx
Skuzz

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Were abouts are you Skuzz ? I get the same problem. At around 4pm my 20mb connection drops but usually to around 3-4mb. Then returns to full speed after midnight. Considering I play alot of online games around this time I can do longer do this due to majour ping spikes. I think here were being traffic and application managed. Probably because my area is over-subscribed.

icestar
im in Derbyshire and according to the very nice man @ VM theres no traffic management on my account

whydoIneedatech
20-04-2008, 17:44
whydoIneedatech
AMAZING the difference www. makes however im running Vista Ultimate and it advises not to tryit on that OS
Thanx
Skuzz

I was not being funny, I moved the www because Cableforum shrink web addresses by default, so I removed the www before I reposted for you and put about putting the www in front for that reason.:LOL:

ry4nmc
20-04-2008, 17:46

Thanks for that :D, my connection went from 5mbps to over 17mbps after using the tcp optimiser.

Skuzz
20-04-2008, 17:47
I was not being funny, I moved the www because Cableforum shrink web addresses by default, so I removed the www before I reposted for you and put about putting the www in front for that reason.:LOL:

it didnt enter my head you where being funny i was just amazed it made a difference to the result
Skuzz

whydoIneedatech
20-04-2008, 17:50
it didnt enter my head you where being funny i was just amazed it made a difference to the result
Skuzz

Sorry it did not work for you then, it did on my XP machine.:)