PDA

View Full Version : Where is Virgin going ?

Berealwith
20-04-2008, 12:14
There are many knowledgeable people on here. After a long and lenghtly time with this isp myself and my own knowledge with large companies. I feel that virgin does not care about you as the individual, but only cares in the number of block yearly subscriptions, after that nothing.

We all know how the oversubscription kills of the guys who know a bit more about thier connection (not just the 2mb surfers who just consider slow traffic, to the way it was on dialup, and would have never have changed from 56k only to get thier phone back) so they are no use to help complain.

To all those people who do care my question is

with the comment from VM CEO (Neil Berkett )

The increase of STM

The Oversubscribed UBR's

The cost of Tech Phone call's

The browsing speed at night for most of us

The lack of service upgrades

The slowing down of newsgroups

Is Virgin going to get better or worse ?

i think worse, it's now to big to get a grip on

Mick Fisher
20-04-2008, 23:54
Where is Virgin going ?

It's gone :shocked: .

Down the toilet IMHO. :mad:

wwe
20-04-2008, 23:56
i car't see it going anywhere but down and down i think some one else will buy them out

Impz2002
21-04-2008, 00:01
down the ******* !

simple as !

MovedGoalPosts
21-04-2008, 00:03
Why should there be a buy out. Effectively there have been so many, from the old days of the individual franchises, such as Nynex, to the larger groupings such as Cable & Wireless, through to the more recent NTL and Telewest, and then the final merger and subsequent rebranding that was in itself a partial sell out. Bottom line, all these investors have found the same thing, There is too much debt in the cable operation. Financing that, and then financing the improvements to keep pace with technology is an uphill struggle.

Whatever Virgin do, their hands are tied. They can tweak bits around the edges, such as call charges for support, but the major expense, on network infrastructure is a nightmare. Recent stuff like phorm, STM, and even netneutrality is just a symptom of the inherent problem.

Gary L
21-04-2008, 00:18
i car't see it going anywhere but down and down i think some one else will buy them out

Nobody will buy. too much damage has been done for another name change to fix and the debt is too big.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/04/15.gif

|Kippa|
21-04-2008, 00:27
Things are not great, but at the same time they are not too bad, lets say compared with ADSL. Chances are I would only get about 4mbit at the most with ADSL and that is if I am lucky as I think I am quite far from the exchange. I can get at least 18mbit when STM isn't on. Even with the new STM I can download a hell of a lot of stuff.

I am an optimist and 'hope' that the shift to docsis 3 standard will help. I am not a techie but from what I can gather using the new docsis 3 standard might help deliver bandwidth better. Chances are I'll take up 50mbit connection when it comes out. Sometimes people have to go though really really bad times to make them realise that things before weren't extremely bad. Things are far from perfect but I don't think things are as bad as they could be. Have faith, wait and see what docsis 3 and 50mbit connections bring.

Bonglet
21-04-2008, 00:29
I'll be bold here and rub my crystal balls :)
I think this whole buisness with phorm is going to be the final straw (everyday that goes by that they are still associated with this company i can feel the life force slowly drain away).

This along with other things that have happened since the vm rebrand such as worse and costly support, harsher and harsher stm limits and a much poorer service all add up to a dead dodo.

Promoting phorm is like promoting used toilet paper to be the leading brand and be benifical while you wipe (We all know the diseases you would catch) guess we will see :).

wwe
21-04-2008, 00:59
Nobody will buy. too much damage has been done for another name change to fix and the debt is too big.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/04/15.gif

something has 2 be done when virgin first took over i thought big things would happen but nope they done northing really but lose us channels