PDA

View Full Version : cant connect to virgin broadband

solidslick
19-04-2008, 21:33
Hi guys.
Just had virgin broadband installed but cant connect my Dell inspiron laptop(windows XP) via the ethernet or a Dlink dsl wireless router, interestingly my laptop picks up the wireless signal ok but wont connect to the internet? Tried using a friends toshiba laptop and works fine via both ethernet and wirelessly? Another twist was able to connect to a family members virgin broadband (with my Dell) wirelessly at another address and it works fine, really really stuck:rolleyes:
Anyway a virgin engineer came by, checked everything and told me that there was something wrong with my computer.

refraction
19-04-2008, 21:50
you dont have your internet settings staticly configured on your laptop do you?

can you get to your routers webconfig via your laptop?

whydoIneedatech
19-04-2008, 22:54
Hi guys.
Just had virgin broadband installed but cant connect my Dell inspiron laptop(windows XP) via the ethernet or a Dlink dsl wireless router, interestingly my laptop picks up the wireless signal ok but wont connect to the internet? Tried using a friends toshiba laptop and works fine via both ethernet and wirelessly? Another twist was able to connect to a family members virgin broadband (with my Dell) wirelessly at another address and it works fine, really really stuck:rolleyes:
Anyway a virgin engineer came by, checked everything and told me that there was something wrong with my computer.

Check your TCP/IP is working.

solidslick
19-04-2008, 23:44
thanks for the responses folks:
couldnt get the routers webconfig from my laptop and internet settings are autoconfig, checked the tcp/ip protocol seems to be ok.
Problem is cant get an IP address when connected to the modem.

whydoIneedatech
19-04-2008, 23:47
thanks for the responses folks:
couldnt get the routers webconfig from my laptop and internet settings are autoconfig, checked the tcp/ip protocol seems to be ok.
Problem is cant get an IP address when connected to the modem.

Sounds like your NIC is kaput!!

Halcyon
19-04-2008, 23:47
Have you tried turning off the modem. Then plug in an ethernet cable from modem to laptop. Boot up laptop.
Then check if you have connectivity.
You could try doing a repair on the connection. Control panel, network connections, Right click local connection and click repair.

solidslick
20-04-2008, 16:51
thanks Halcyon, il try that today c if it works.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

sorry about sounding ignorant but what is the 'NIC'?

whydoIneedatech
22-04-2008, 07:07
thanks Halcyon, il try that today c if it works.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

sorry about sounding ignorant but what is the 'NIC'?

NIC is short for Network Card, sorry for the abbreviation.:)

TehTech
22-04-2008, 08:40
NIC is short for Network Card, sorry for the abbreviation.:)

OR, if you want to be technically correct, its a Network Interface Card!

Sorry to be pedantic :)

whydoIneedatech
22-04-2008, 08:46
OR, if you want to be technically correct, its a Network Interface Card!

Sorry to be pedantic :)

thats just you;)

Leaving out the interface part is easier if you go into the likes of PC World for one.:)