PDA

View Full Version : DNS problems virgin media

Deank
19-04-2008, 14:14
hi all i live in the plymouth area and from last night i cant access certain sites i have visted for the last few years , i cant also use any ftps either as it logs in and dosent list the directorys? i have this problem with the standard cable modem and my belkin router. ive been reading up on DNS but dont really undertstand what DNS actually does on networks? i always use overclockers uk forums and speed test every day and they will not work any ideas would be most grateful would a clean install fix this ?

Cobbydaler
19-04-2008, 14:39
hi all i live in the plymouth area and from last night i cant access certain sites i have visted for the last few years , i cant also use any ftps either as it logs in and dosent list the directorys? i have this problem with the standard cable modem and my belkin router. ive been reading up on DNS but dont really undertstand what DNS actually does on networks? i always use overclockers uk forums and speed test every day and they will not work any ideas would be most grateful would a clean install fix this ?

Which other sites can't you reach?

Can you ping those sites by IP address when you can't access them?

Deank
19-04-2008, 14:56
Which other sites can't you reach?

Can you ping those sites by IP address when you can't access them?

not sure how to ping sites i know u use cmd to do so but dont know commands

there are lots of random sites i cant connect when searching on google using firefox IE and safari, overclockers main page wont load overclockers forum wont load speed test wont load and ftps will log in but wont list any directorys and just hangs i had a problem with ebay never loading a few months back and a fresh intstall solved it but i have 3 pc on my network and every pc is not working on these sites and ftps using both cable modem and router any suggestions would be helpful

have also disabled kapersky internet security and turned off windows firewall

Cobbydaler
19-04-2008, 15:03
overclockers doesn't respond to pings.

Try connecting to some sites now & come back with one you can't reach.

Deank
19-04-2008, 15:05
overclockers doesn't respond to pings.

Try connecting to some sites now & come back with one you can't reach.thanks for your help can you or anybody test the links to see if connection is ok http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/ or http://www.speedtest.net/?

Cobbydaler
19-04-2008, 15:16
Both work for me.

Try this at a command prompt:

ping 69.17.117.207

That's the IP address of speedtest.net

Deank
19-04-2008, 15:22
ping statistics for 69.17.117.207:
packets:sent=4 Recieved =4, Lost= 0 0% loss)
approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
minimum = 178ms, maximum= 183ms average = 180ms

will a system restore be worth it?

Cobbydaler
19-04-2008, 15:28
Then yes it looks like a DNS problem.

Try replacing the VM DNS server IPs with:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

If you're not sure how, instructions are here (https://www.opendns.com/start)

Probably best to choose the router option...

Deank
19-04-2008, 15:30

Probably best to choose the router option...cheers pal will have a go will let u know the result will reinstalling vista make any differnce? the link open dns wont work either ?

Cobbydaler
19-04-2008, 15:38
I wouldn't go as far as a re-install.

Attached a screenshot of the openDNS Belkin instructions.

Deank
19-04-2008, 15:40
cheers thanks for all your help im going to have a mess around with my host files after reading up of it this could be the prob 2

refraction
19-04-2008, 18:50
Its not a DNS problem, I live in plymouth too and had EXACTLY the same problem start yesterday.

Initially i put it down to the national problem they were having, phoned support, they said "plug your pc directly in to the modem", I did, worked fine again. Plugged the router back in, no go.

You know what fixed it? I lowered my MTU on the router to 1492 from 1500. It works now! i think im phoning support again and making sure i dont get charged, cos it takes the mick (25p a min!)

Edit: phoned them back, i wont be charged for the call.

Deank
19-04-2008, 18:57
Its not a DNS problem, I live in plymouth too and had EXACTLY the same problem start yesterday.

Initially i put it down to the national problem they were having, phoned support, they said "plug your pc directly in to the modem", I did, worked fine again. Plugged the router back in, no go.

You know what fixed it? I lowered my MTU on the router to 1492 from 1500. It works now! i think im phoning support again and making sure i dont get charged, cos it takes the mick (25p a min!)hi im having this problem with my router and the cable modem

refraction
19-04-2008, 19:03
hi im having this problem with my router and the cable modem

okay well reset your hardware, then adjust the MTU on your router to 1492 for the internet side, then try again, im pretty sure this is the problem.

presuming you were ex-blueyonder, your DNS servers should be

194.117.134.19 <-- blueyonders (still used)
62.31.176.39 <-- virgins

but your symptoms seem the same as mine, the sites are "found" as in you get "website found waiting for reply" but nothing else happens. i dont think the DNS is the problem, but i can see you currently have the free ones in.

jcw00
19-04-2008, 19:09

Probably best to choose the router option...

the link open dns wont work

Almost confirms it's a DNS problem with VirginMedia.
Once you have OpenDNS is use, all of your DNS problems will go away.

Deank
19-04-2008, 19:12
okay well reset your hardware, then adjust the MTU on your router to 1492 for the internet side, then try again, im pretty sure this is the problem.

presuming you were ex-blueyonder, your DNS servers should be

194.117.134.19 <-- blueyonders (still used)
62.31.176.39 <-- virgins

but your symptoms seem the same as mine, the sites are "found" as in you get "website found waiting for reply" but nothing else happens. i dont think the DNS is the problem, but i can see you currently have the free ones in.
sorry but what does MTU stand for?

refraction
19-04-2008, 19:19
sorry but what does MTU stand for?

Maximum Transition Unit. It is the size of the TCP packets you sent (in bytes), if this is too big, the packet will get fragmented or lost, which i think is whats started happening to us plymothians

Darrenp
20-04-2008, 00:55
Thought it was just me then, also in Plymouth, having random page load probs since last night.

Anyway, just changed the mtu to 1492 via this method and it's running fine now.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/vistaMTU.htm

Although something else I've just noticed is I get a blank page at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ on both FF2 and IE7

BeckyD
20-04-2008, 01:32

Although something else I've just noticed is I get a blank page at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ on both FF2 and IE7

Me too - well, actually I get the following error:

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.All other areas of the site are working fine (including specific forums) but not the main forum page.

Been like that for over an hour.

EDIT / CF Team are aware of the problem - thread here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/27/33631780-cf-home-page-is-blank.html

refraction
20-04-2008, 01:46
Thought it was just me then, also in Plymouth, having random page load probs since last night.

ah good, i didnt lie to the Virgin call centre guy then!

Glad to help

Deank
20-04-2008, 11:37

Although something else I've just noticed is I get a blank page at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ on both FF2 and IE7thanks for all your help guys ive tryed to to changed the mtu using the link but it stays locked at 1500? for some reason? is anybody else in the plymouth area still having probs today?

refraction
20-04-2008, 13:36
thanks for all your help guys ive tryed to to changed the mtu using the link but it stays locked at 1500? for some reason? is anybody else in the plymouth area still having probs today?

you should be able to change it on your router, it will allow an auto or manual adjustment for the WAN settings. As for vista i dont know how it all works on there im afraid :(

Deank
20-04-2008, 13:56
you should be able to change it on your router, it will allow an auto or manual adjustment for the WAN settings. As for vista i dont know how it all works on there im afraid :(
ok thanks will have to have a read on the net on how to adjust it for vista

chopperchipe
20-04-2008, 18:11
I've been having the same problems since Friday; some sites work OK, but others can't be accessed (eg. I can no longer use megaupload.com, have trouble logging into Yahoo mail etc). I'm on a wireless network.

Relieved that it seems to be a Plymouth-wide problem, though is this something that's likely to resolve itself? (seeing as clearly something Virgin Media have done is causing the problem, rather than my own setup). I'm very reluctant to start messing around with settings I have no understanding of...

ceedee
20-04-2008, 18:28
[...] is this something that's likely to resolve itself? (seeing as clearly something Virgin Media have done is causing the problem, rather than my own setup). I'm very reluctant to start messing around with settings I have no understanding of...

Don't change anything.
VM Tech Support have acknowledged there's an unidentified problem in the Plymouth area and have reported it as an outage tho' it doesn't seem to have appeared on the Status page yet.

Go for a walk, preferably stopping at a decent pub?
It won't help get your connection working any quicker but it'll make the time go quicker...
:)

Deank
20-04-2008, 18:31
I've been having the same problems since Friday; some sites work OK, but others can't be accessed (eg. I can no longer use megaupload.com, have trouble logging into Yahoo mail etc). I'm on a wireless network.

Relieved that it seems to be a Plymouth-wide problem, though is this something that's likely to resolve itself? (seeing as clearly something Virgin Media have done is causing the problem, rather than my own setup). I'm very reluctant to start messing around with settings I have no understanding of...

sorry to hear that your having trouble too megaload.com works for me but i have several sites that will not work on all 3 of my pcs on my network

forums.overclockers.co.uk www.speedtest.net these i always use and i know these 2 sites work if your in plymouth too can u access these sites or no? be grateful if you can check for me please

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 18:37
I'm having a fair few problems myself right now, i live in Exeter so will be classed as the same as Plymouth, some of the sites i could not see last night i can see today but others i can't mainly american sites, i have servers based in dallas and atlanta and right now cant get too my atlanta server via web at all, however tracert gets too it fine, vm are currently saying this is a problem on my side. maybe most of the southwest is the same?

chopperchipe
20-04-2008, 18:40
Don't change anything.
VM Tech Support have acknowledged there's an unidentified problem in the Plymouth area and have reported it as an outage tho' it doesn't seem to have appeared on the Status page yet.

Go for a walk, preferably stopping at a decent pub?
It won't help get your connection working any quicker but it'll make the time go quicker...
:)

Great, thanks ceedee. ;) Good to know they've acknowledged the problem. Pub would sound good, but as I seem to be developing the mother of all colds I think bed's a better idea. :dozey:

forums.overclockers.co.uk www.speedtest.net these i always use and i know these 2 sites work if your in plymouth too can u access these sites or no? be grateful if you can check for me please

I just checked - can't get on speedtest at all, but overclockers forum works :confused: Incidentally I can get on megaupload, but after the countdown I can't seem to be able to access the actual file download. Just one of a number of sites I'm having these problems with.

Edit:

I'm having a fair few problems myself right now, i live in Exeter so will be classed as the same as Plymouth, some of the sites i could not see last night i can see today but others i can't mainly american sites,

That's true for me too, I noticed it was a lot of US sites/servers I couldn't access. Think the parents had trouble getting into PayPal homepage too. Oh, and mediafire had the same problem as megaupload.

monstercookie
20-04-2008, 18:41
Hi all,
Have been having the same problems, stumbled across the forum looking for help/info, but seems it's not just me.
I'm in Torquay myself, maybe tis the cornish pixies fighting through to take over the south of Devon hehe.
Hope it gets sorted, tis doing my nut in....

Thanks for everyones advice further up, tried it but no joy

Deank
20-04-2008, 18:46
i personally havent rang up VM as there customer service is terriable and i know they will try and shift the blame to my hardware and pc i know its VM servers also would like to know where the chap who a few posts up said that VM tech have admitted that plymouth/ south west has a problem as on the VM status page there is no problems or maintenance stated?

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 18:48
i'm waiting for a callback from a tech now, perhaps he will be able to shed some light, however currently its over the 30 mins originally quoted, will post an update if the call materializes.

Deank
20-04-2008, 18:52
i'm waiting for a callback from a tech now, perhaps he will be able to shed some light, however currently its over the 30 mins originally quoted, will post an update if the call materializes.
Nephilim could you possibly ask the tech guy if plymouth has a problem aswell as im sure the exeter plymouth will be on the same network route

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 18:57
we both go through newton abbot as far as im aware

Deank
20-04-2008, 18:59
we both go through newton abbot as far as im aware
not sure if i should take that as a sarcy comment or no?;)

Thanos
20-04-2008, 19:00
Experiencing similar problems here in exeter with regards to sites loading slowly or not at all, I've changed over to the opendns that was posted will see if there are any improvements

ceedee
20-04-2008, 19:04
also would like to know where the chap who a few posts up said that VM tech have admitted that plymouth/ south west has a problem as on the VM status page there is no problems or maintenance stated?

The following messages were posted to VM's Tech Support newsgroup this afternoon:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:02:14 GMT, "Virgin Media Technical Support - Dave Lxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
>
>I'm trying to find a common factor, other than being in Plymouth area.
>The first being is it a common range of IP addresses, however the posts in
>this thread cover a number of different ranges.
>Next would be to see if these sites all go througha common router, apart
>from those nearest you. For this can you point me in the direction of the
>other thread so that I can see what that reveals

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:20:34 GMT, "Virgin Media Technical Support - Dave Lxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
>
>I've just spent the last 30 minutes putting this altogether. There are no
>common factors that we can see from here. So I've put all of the details
>we've had in these two threads together, and it's now raised under reference
>692664

hth

Need help getting onto VM's Tech Support newsgroup? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34527446&postcount=6)

Deank
20-04-2008, 19:07
The following messages were posted to VM's Tech Support newsgroup this afternoon:

hth

Need help getting onto VM's Tech Support newsgroup? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34527446&postcount=6)Thanks pal

ceedee
20-04-2008, 19:09
Thanks pal

No problem, Dean and all the others in the SW having problems.
I really hope VM get it sorted out quickly for you all.

Deank
20-04-2008, 19:12
No problem, Dean and all the others in the SW having problems.
I really hope VM get it sorted out quickly for you all.
not holding my breath tbh as my connection been like this for 3 -4 days now and it dosent look like VM have even found out what problems they have hense no info on status page for south west.

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 19:12
Nah not a sarcy comment, was on the phone so left it short but sweet :). chased up my call back, and aparently the request did not go through, they advised me to change proxy settings in IE to the blueyonder webcache which seems to solve the problem, however i have requested that a tech still calls me as we shouldnt have to go through a proxy in the first place.

but heres how to do that anyway if you want a temporary fix - (if your using internet explorer...which i dont but here it is) go to tools > internet options then click on connections tab > then LAN settings -- then click on use proxy for your lan and enter http://webcache.blueyonder.co.uk in first box then in port box 8080 > click ok > restart web browser - that should work,

just had call back, told me to ring software support @ £1 per min - aweful support.

Deank
20-04-2008, 19:14
Nah not a sarcy comment, was on the phone so left it short but sweet :). chased up my call back, and aparently the request did not go through, they advised me to change proxy settings in IE to the blueyonder webcache which seems to solve the problem, however i have requested that a tech still calls me as we shouldnt have to go through a proxy in the first place.

but heres how to do that anyway if you want a temporary fix - (if your using internet explorer...which i dont but here it is) go to tools > internet options then click on connections tab > then LAN settings -- then click on use proxy for your lan and enter http://webcache.blueyonder.co.uk in first box then in port box 8080 > click ok > restart web browser - that should work,

just had call back, told me to ring software support @ £1 per min - aweful support.

lol thanks for getting bck to us all that link dosent work for me lol typical eh

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 19:16
dont click the link, didnt mean to hotlink it, its just the address for proxy to put in internet explorer, just follow the intructions and you should be able to see the websites you currently can't, getting another call back from a manger in a moment, tho all these calls are going to india so i doubt i will get anything sorted, they are just saying its my three computers and my neighbours computer :).

Deank
20-04-2008, 19:20
ive used the link in the lan settings web pages still no good, yeah sounds about right yeah it must be all 3 of your pcs and all of my 3 pcs and everybody elses pcs on this thread makes me mad as they always shift the blame to the customers machine when we all know that this is not the case, that why i dont ring up CS as i will lose my head on the phone talking to technical support who no nothing about networks and pcs and have the cheek to also charge 25p per minute.

jcw00
20-04-2008, 19:21
then click on use proxy for your lan and enter http://webcache.blueyonder.co.uk in first box then in port box 8080 > click ok

You don't need http:// just use webcache.blueyonder.co.uk

refraction
20-04-2008, 19:23
Well i just did some testing based on my theory and the following 2 servers seem to hate 1500 byte packets

they will take a max of 1478 with the ping command till they just time out. if you take off any TCP headers and stuff, thats about right to the 1492 theory.

I hope somebody can pass on this information in hope itll help.

Deank
20-04-2008, 19:25
yeah ive done that and pages and web browsing is even worse for me i give up
defeated

Nephilim
20-04-2008, 19:27

Thats right, sorry, concentration levels arent great due to the anger caused by vm india tech support! thanks for pointing that out.. ;)

ceedee
20-04-2008, 19:45
Well i just did some testing based on my theory and the following 2 servers seem to hate 1500 byte packets

they will take a max of 1478 with the ping command till they just time out. if you take off any TCP headers and stuff, thats about right to the 1492 theory.

I hope somebody can pass on this information in hope itll help.

Just copied that across to the newsgroup.
Thanks for the tip, refraction!

refraction
21-04-2008, 15:03
this situation should be improving, 195.188.231.13 is accepting larger packets again.
.21 is still problematic tho

Deank
21-04-2008, 15:28
http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=692310

seems theres a problem nationwide

refraction
21-04-2008, 15:37
well its nationwide but only certain areas, if you look under their nationwide problems it says nothing, but you select the south west or yorkshire and you get that message.

The problem which effected us seems to be some of their core servers we go through (obviously others too) but its slowly getting fixed :)

druss
21-04-2008, 15:45
Perfect.

Thanks so much.

Been banging head against a brick wall for days but using the webcache dns sorted everything.

It's quick, even quicker than what i had before problems.

note for the tech guys mtu is set at 1500 this end.

Deank
21-04-2008, 15:46
hope ur right that the servers will be fixed as ive noticed no improvement at all, but strange that last night early hours the sites and ftps thats im having problems with worked for about 30 mins then went back to normal and nothing works again ive been so tempeted to do a clean intstall of vista but im holding bck for the time being

webcrawler2050
21-04-2008, 15:47
have we got some tracerts ?? :D

refraction
21-04-2008, 15:56
have we got some tracerts ?? :D

just do a traceroute to a site which doesnt load.

the ones i used which dont work are

virgins own site
forums.ngemu.com
www.pcsx2.net (my site which i know was working :P)

then tried google.co.uk which does work for me.

webcrawler2050
21-04-2008, 16:00
Tracing route to pcsx2.net [213.171.197.159]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.50.200
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.50.211
3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.63.4.5
4 3 ms 3 ms 7 ms 172.22.9.73
5 67 ms 46 ms 91 ms 172.22.4.154
6 16 ms 14 ms 16 ms 192.168.200.19
7 * 16 ms 19 ms core2rtr10-g0-1.core.xxxxx.com [217.22.0.3]

refraction
21-04-2008, 16:08

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.50.200
3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.63.4.5
4 3 ms 3 ms 7 ms 172.22.9.73
5 67 ms 46 ms 91 ms 172.22.4.154
6 16 ms 14 ms 16 ms 192.168.200.19
7 * 16 ms 19 ms core2rtr10-g0-1.core.xxxxx.com [217.22.0.3]

i need more than that :p thats literally 1 step outside your local network, if that :p

webcrawler2050
21-04-2008, 16:18

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.50.200
3 1 ms 28 ms 13 ms 172.22.9.73
4 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 172.22.4.154
5 39 ms 13 ms 13 ms 192.168.200.19
6 * 16 ms 15 ms core2rtr10-g0-1.core
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.

refraction
21-04-2008, 16:21
hmm, are you using a proxy of some sort? your internal network seems insanely complex.

ndrew
21-04-2008, 17:11
good read, should have come here before rebuilding my Linux desktop twice over the weekend

I'm getting better response with OpenDNS addresses, but still cannot access all pages.

www.boltblue.com hangs
www.facebook.com works with OpenDns but not with VM DNS

anyone have a clue when VM will fix the problem????

webcrawler2050
21-04-2008, 17:14
Yeah secure government network

ANywho from Home

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms buffalo.setup [192.168.11.1]
2 12 ms 7 ms 19 ms 10.60.144.1
3 13 ms 8 ms 9 ms 80-192-0-161.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk [
80.192.0.161]
4 11 ms 9 ms 8 ms 82.33.208.65
5 97 ms 11 ms 9 ms pc3.prt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk [88.208.255.2]
6 11 ms 9 ms 8 ms pc1.hrt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk [88.208.255.14]

7 10 ms 10 ms 8 ms server213-171-197-159.live-servers.net [213.171.
197.159]

refraction
21-04-2008, 17:26
ah i take it pcsx2.net works for you then :P

Upya
21-04-2008, 17:31
Hi guys, just come across this thread and have been having problems trying to sort my sisters pc for 2 days now.

She is on VM 2mb package and connects directly to her webstar modem.

A few days ago sites stopped loading, in particular www.galabingo.co.uk

I had a look for her and so far I have:

Scanned with Ad-aware and Spybot, search and destroy (this picked up starware and 44 other nasties, all deleted).
Powercycled the modem.
Clean installed Windows XP.

Yet she still had the same problem try to connect to the bingo site. Pinging it returned:

Pinging www.galabingo.co.uk [88.81.156.20] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 88.81.156.20:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Tracert returned:

Tracing route to www.galabingo.co.uk [88.81.156.20]

1 2704 ms 10 ms 9 ms 10.187.192.1
2 18 ms 12 ms 9 ms 80.235.128.33
3 17 ms 20 ms 19 ms 195.188.231.13
4 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms gfd-bb-a-ge-210-0.inet.ntl.com [195.182.178.129]

5 19 ms 17 ms 15 ms pop-bb-b-so-010-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.138]

6 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms so-7-0-0-dcr1.tsd.cw.net [166.63.211.129]
7 33 ms 54 ms 33 ms guernsey-gw.tsd.cw.net [166.63.211.134]
8 31 ms 34 ms 32 ms g1-2-dr1.gg.cw.net [212.30.0.102]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

However I can connect using http://anonymouse.org/ or by adjusting the proxy server on IE to webcache.virginmedia.com Port: 8080

Other sites load fine and other applications work fine.

I have her using the proxy server currently, but this has been a right royal pain in the ****, especially as her cd burner isn't working and I had to use her mp3 player to transfer 10gb of data :(

Lets hope they sort this soon, as although she has access now, I hate knowing things aren't running as they should.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

Oh, I should of mentioned, this problem affected all browsers and wasn't limited to IE.

Cobbydaler
21-04-2008, 17:36
Ordinary traceroute

traceroute to pcsx2.net (213.171.197.159), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 router (192.168.11.1) 2.387 ms 3.391 ms 2.291 ms
2 10.252.4.1 (10.252.4.1) 11.843 ms 14.204 ms 12.695 ms
3 oldh-t2cam1-a-v120.inet.ntl.com (80.5.164.81) 11.250 ms 15.333 ms 12.135 ms
4 62.252.192.173 (62.252.192.173) 11.249 ms 12.075 ms 12.294 ms
5 man-bb-a-as0-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.175.1) 17.516 ms 14.031 ms 24.055 ms
6 bir-bb-b-so-030-0.inet.ntl.com (62.252.192.86) 18.037 ms 23.683 ms 20.061 ms
7 aztw-t3core-1b-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.175.162) 24.975 ms 22.049 ms 19.154 ms
8 osr02azte-tenge83.inet.ntl.com (80.1.240.130) 25.493 ms 27.954 ms 27.603 ms
9 195.188.230.74 (195.188.230.74) 28.648 ms 28.621 ms 29.722 ms
10 82.33.208.14 (82.33.208.14) 25.708 ms 25.862 ms 24.532 ms
11 pc3.prt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk (88.208.255.2) 27.352 ms 58.210 ms 38.662 ms
12 pc1.hrt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk (88.208.255.14) 51.907 ms 24.459 ms 17.875 ms
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
tcptraceroute

Selected device ra0, address 192.168.11.100, port 55613 for outgoing packets
Tracing the path to pcsx2.net (213.171.197.159) on TCP port 80 (http), 30 hops max
1 192.168.11.1 3.512 ms 1.759 ms 1.767 ms
2 10.252.4.1 14.107 ms 16.361 ms 22.753 ms
3 oldh-t2cam1-a-v120.inet.ntl.com (80.5.164.81) 43.487 ms 58.494 ms 12.685 ms
4 62.252.192.173 12.979 ms 15.714 ms 16.539 ms
5 man-bb-a-as0-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.175.1) 17.546 ms 13.448 ms 19.325 ms
6 bir-bb-b-so-030-0.inet.ntl.com (62.252.192.86) 20.742 ms 15.986 ms 11.978 ms
7 aztw-t3core-1b-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.175.162) 44.077 ms 12.548 ms 15.828 ms
8 osr02azte-tenge83.inet.ntl.com (80.1.240.130) 23.489 ms 23.265 ms 21.492 ms
9 195.188.230.74 22.426 ms 27.008 ms 34.443 ms
10 82.33.208.14 140.050 ms 150.931 ms 34.957 ms
11 pc3.prt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk (88.208.255.2) 24.469 ms 23.870 ms 21.441 ms
12 pc1.hrt0.fhcon.fasthosts.net.uk (88.208.255.14) 27.851 ms 47.273 ms 26.508 ms
13 server213-171-197-159.live-servers.net (213.171.197.159) [open] 22.171 ms 20.301 ms 24.436 msThat servers filtering UDP / ICMP ECHO packets...

druss
21-04-2008, 17:36
ah i take it pcsx2.net works for you then :P

The site works but won't load forum. its the only site that has had an outage appear since putting in the proxy.

refraction
21-04-2008, 18:04
That servers filtering UDP / ICMP ECHO packets...

yea it does, the fact you can reach the target isnt the problem, the problems ive been experiencing is when it comes to transferring data, establishing the connection isnt a problem, all sites effected got "website found, waiting for reply" but never did anything, probably due to the packet loss on the large packets.

The site works but won't load forum. its the only site that has had an outage appear since putting in the proxy.

try tracerouting forums.ngemu.com. Althought the site isnt the most reliable, they are working.

Deank
21-04-2008, 18:10
yea it does, the fact you can reach the target isnt the problem, the problems ive been experiencing is when it comes to transferring data, establishing the connection isnt a problem, all sites effected got "website found, waiting for reply" but never did anything, probably due to the packet loss on the large packets.
100% exctually the same problem im having

refraction
21-04-2008, 19:39
100% exctually the same problem im having

well if the website is found, you dont have a DNS problem, simply because the IP has been resolved to the name.

setting the MTU on your routers basic WAN settings to 1492 should resolve the problem for you. You dont need to do it on your pc as well, routers are smart enough to deal with it ;p

Deank
21-04-2008, 19:51
well if the website is found, you dont have a DNS problem, simply because the IP has been resolved to the name.

setting the MTU on your routers basic WAN settings to 1492 should resolve the problem for you. You dont need to do it on your pc as well, routers are smart enough to deal with it ;p
i have already said in earlier posts that i have stuggled to get settings from 1500 to save for some reason. i shouldnt have to do that, my connection has been perfect since being connected to virgin 6 months back and since last friday its gone tits up virgin should sort this out not leave it up to the customer to spend hours searching for solutions on how to fix something which is clearly something on virgins network side. im getting really fed up now with this and can see some poor call centre staff getting a phone call if this keeps up and i doubt ill be on the phone long before being disconnected as i already know what the response will be, reboot pc ,reboot modem clean temporary files, use the proxy server in lan settings no it must be your machine all 3 of your machines sir.

refraction
21-04-2008, 20:31
yeh it is a bit outragious, which is why i phoned back and insisted i didnt get charged for the support call.

All i can do is try my best for those effected. If i didnt, i wouldnt be here with you guys now

Deank
21-04-2008, 20:34
will a clean install of OS be a waste of time? i know the answer waste of time asking really

refraction
21-04-2008, 20:46
yes it will be a waste of time unfort, the only thing you can do to your OS which would effect it is get a TCP optimizer of some means and set the MTU to 1492 there. worth a shot, worked for some ;p

ndrew
21-04-2008, 20:46
Sorted mine by setting mtu to 1492, it was set to 1500.

Don't waste your effort reinstalling the OS

Deank
21-04-2008, 21:05
i have just downloaded TCP optimizer set the MTU to 1492 and made no difference whatsoever thanks for ur anyway

shigsy
21-04-2008, 21:05
Yo, registered just to post this.

I live in Exeter, have the exact same problem as you guys are reporting. Just for the record, I had to set both my PC's MTU to 1492 as well as my Netgear router's MTU to clear all my issues since Friday.

I can now get everywhere without using the webcache.

http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe (to change Windows network card MTU)

NB. Be sure to reboot after changing your PC's MTU.

HTH

Deank
21-04-2008, 21:14
well just reset the mtu again using the tcp optimizer and guess what......

SORTED!!!!! all sites working again and ftps listing files again thanks to all the ppl who have contribited to this thread i have posted a link of the program i used to set the mtu to 1492 easy to use no need to use the CMD

THANK YOU ALL

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

refraction
21-04-2008, 21:22
glad you guys are up n running for now :)

ive got my butt on to the newsgroups to seperate the findings from the rest of the rubbish so hopefully one of the reps sees it, they didnt seem to take any interest in the other threads that were on there.

Deank
21-04-2008, 21:25
refraction can u post that link on the newsgroup for the tcp optimizer as its so easy to use instead of typing commands on the cmd i know how stressed ive been with all this problems so like to help as much as i can

refraction
21-04-2008, 21:35
refraction can u post that link on the newsgroup for the tcp optimizer as its so easy to use instead of typing commands on the cmd i know how stressed ive been with all this problems so like to help as much as i can

done and dusted

bones57
22-04-2008, 00:46
http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe (to change Windows network card MTU)

NB. Be sure to reboot after changing your PC's MTU.

HTH

Same problems as everyone else, since last Thursday or Friday, now sorted with this TCP tool - all working fine now, thanks for the link shigsy

exeter2008
22-04-2008, 01:06
hi, I think my internet is having the same problems as everyone elses here, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but have changed the routers MTU to 1492, but that has not changed the fact that some websites are inaccesible. How do I change the MTU on a mac? also will I need to install the software mentioned above onto my housemates vista/XP computers??

thanks - sorry if I've repeated any prior questions

refraction
22-04-2008, 01:09
hi, I think my internet is having the same problems as everyone elses here, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but have changed the routers MTU to 1492, but that has not changed the fact that some websites are inaccesible. How do I change the MTU on a mac? also will I need to install the software mentioned above onto my housemates vista/XP computers??

thanks - sorry if I've repeated any prior questions

welcome, this might be of some use to you http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303192

i dont know much about macs im afraid so i cant help more than that. Make sure you reboot your router after changing the MTU, else it will not take effect.

refraction
23-04-2008, 18:36
Just a note: problem is now fixed for me, I can use 1500 again. I hope it is for you guys :)

chopperchipe
24-04-2008, 13:22
Yes, Virgin seem to have fixed the problem (I'm in Plymouth too) - at least I haven't experienced any issues yesterday or today.

Cyrill666
02-05-2008, 12:07
Hi,

Looks like some of us are having the same problems in the Teesside area as of today.

Browsing problem seems to be resolved by setting the proxy to webcache.virginmedia.com - however email services from the same server cannot be accessed - can anyone offer any advice on how to fix pop3 email access as I reckon the two problems are related???

Email can be access fine via webmail... just not via Outlook :(

Thanks.

TikkiRo
25-05-2008, 23:38
Getting the feeling this isn't a new thing or a fixed thing then? I'm in Belfast (East) and since yesterday haven't been able to access any of my 3 own websites (all hosted by the same host on different servers) - can neither access the frontend/backend or emails which is a huge issue for me given I manage these for charities. Interestingly some other people also on VM locally have split access i.e. 2 couldn't and 1 could so makes it very tough to figure it out. I have at least been able to get access using that anonymiser link provided here which at least proves the sites are indeed as live as the host techie kept insisting to me they were (I was beginning to disbelieve him as I figured it had to be their problem not mine), but this thread throws out the prospect of it being down to VM.

I've not yet worked through some of the fixes given here, but hoping VM will sort it out their end instead - just wanted to let anyone else in the area know of my diffs. :mad:

Sirius
26-05-2008, 00:02
Getting the feeling this isn't a new thing or a fixed thing then? I'm in Belfast (East) and since yesterday haven't been able to access any of my 3 own websites (all hosted by the same host on different servers) - can neither access the frontend/backend or emails which is a huge issue for me given I manage these for charities. Interestingly some other people also on VM locally have split access i.e. 2 couldn't and 1 could so makes it very tough to figure it out. I have at least been able to get access using that anonymiser link provided here which at least proves the sites are indeed as live as the host techie kept insisting to me they were (I was beginning to disbelieve him as I figured it had to be their problem not mine), but this thread throws out the prospect of it being down to VM.

I've not yet worked through some of the fixes given here, but hoping VM will sort it out their end instead - just wanted to let anyone else in the area know of my diffs. :mad:

Give us a link to one of your sites so we can see if we can reach them. Or try this proxy renf-cache-9.server.ntli.net :8080

TikkiRo
26-05-2008, 10:55
Thanx for the thoughts on this:

Sites are:
www.fmsni.org.uk
www.bloomfieldmethodist.co.uk
www.kitsandcards.co.uk

The blog on Wordpress has now loaded at least so that's something, but I still can't access any of my own sites and with 2 of them requiring constant updating this is a pain. Tried to access the admin section via the anonymouser site but couldn't as login details refused to be accepted so it kept reloading the respective login pages.

Not sure if I've put the proxy in the right place, but it's not getting me anywhere either, and I'm tired of rebooting modems and routers to kickstart things. Also not willing to pay 5p a min to have VM tell me they're working on it, so suppose I'll just have to try and be patient and see what happens today perhaps. Just frustrating - any other sites would be bad enough, but for it to be these is a bummer - keep thinking this is VM's new method of "kicking" heavy downloaders (thanks to BBC iPlayer etc) like me :td: :confused: LOL!

Illpalazzo87
26-05-2008, 11:41
Yeah I'm in belfast.. Been having problems along with other family memebers that live in the area it started on thursday-friday but only started to bother me on saturday when it wouldn't let me connect to the game servers I play on (or get a worthwile connection to them,Seems they work without the router but I can only stay connected for 10sec before I get alot of lag and get knocked off).
The proxy thing fixed my web browsing though just goes abit slow here and there.

adam.ford
28-05-2008, 20:01
Can we confirm both the problems in this thread are now fixed from peoples perspective in those areas, just for my own sanity? :o)

1/ MTU issues in Plymouth.

2/ Seperate network issues in Belfast.

Adam.

TikkiRo
28-05-2008, 20:19
Apologies - I should have hunted this post down yesterday but yes, at least my own problems are solved and judging by many over on the CableHell Forum, I would suspect the Belfast one has been fully sorted now. It was quite interesting in my case tho as I had a VM tech run through a trace with me, and when it stopped on point 5 (after running through 2 NTL servers) he insisted it showed the signal had "left the building" in the sense that it had left VM routers onwards to the destination so it couldn't possibly be VM that were at fault. But it was highly interesting that not only was the problem suddenly sorted less than 15 minutes later (knew, because I started getting a flood of emails from the 3 sites in question) but when I re-ran the trace, I discovered that the next 2 steps in the trace were still working through VM servers so there you go. Shows they don't know what they don't know sadly these poor guys in Africa, or India or wherever they're based!!