PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new modem cant get it working with ethernet!! :(

street
18-04-2008, 14:49
Okay please guys I need help! Yesterday a engineer came to fix my internet. He said my old modem was knackered so gave me a new one. My old one was attached by USB as I didnt have a ethernet card in my pc. The engineeer gave me a USB/Ethernet adapter so I could plug it in and advised me to buy a ethernet card which I did so today. Ive plugged it in, green light is on and everything. When i go to device manager there is a exclamation mark next to the network adapter so i right click it, press properties and it says 'this device cannot start'. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, looked for driver updates and there are none. How do I get this working guys! Please help!

Druchii
18-04-2008, 14:51
Okay please guys I need help! Yesterday a engineer came to fix my internet. He said my old modem was knackered so gave me a new one. My old one was attached by USB as I didnt have a ethernet card in my pc. The engineeer gave me a USB/Ethernet adapter so I could plug it in and advised me to buy a ethernet card which I did so today. Ive plugged it in, green light is on and everything. When i go to device manager there is a exclamation mark next to the network adapter so i right click it, press properties and it says 'this device cannot start'. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, looked for driver updates and there are none. How do I get this working guys! Please help!
Have you restarted your PC?

street
18-04-2008, 14:53
yes^

The Jackal
18-04-2008, 15:01
What the hell... So the engineer came around and left you without internet.

TBH The engineer should come back and finish the job

street
18-04-2008, 15:03
no no he gave me the usb/ethernet adapter so that he wouldnt leave me without internet. i am using the usb adapter now to type this but want my ethernet to work :(

The Jackal
18-04-2008, 15:11
no no he gave me the usb/ethernet adapter so that he wouldnt leave me without internet. i am using the usb adapter now to type this but want my ethernet to work :(

Oh sorry my bad - I'm known to mouth off before actually doing any reading.

Maybe this could be moved to one of the computing sub forums - there are a lot of nerds in there who can help with drivers and the sort ;)

boroboi
18-04-2008, 16:59
Its simply a case of installing the drivers for your Ethernet Card. Once done, power down the modem, plug in the RJ45 cable to the Ethernet Card, UNPLUG the USB cable, power it back on, and then power up your PC. It should then work.

street
18-04-2008, 17:02
^done this dont work :(

whydoIneedatech
18-04-2008, 18:57
^done this dont work :(

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP

street
19-04-2008, 00:33
my friend fixed it :)

whydoIneedatech
19-04-2008, 23:57