PDA

View Full Version : Installers need access to flat below?

nemof
15-04-2008, 23:00
I need the permission of the owner of the flat below me to allow the work to be done so I can get my broadband back - moved house beginning of march, sttttttill haven't got broadband because virgin keep ****ing about.

Virgin sent a letter to the owners of the flat below, and he's not sure if he wants to sign it because apparently the letter says the installers might need access to his flat too - which he wouldn't allow.

Is this the case, why on earth would Virgin ever need to go into his flat when they are installing the cable in mine?

I tried phoning Virgin, however the people I have had the misfortune to talk to were so thick you could make a milkshake out of them. Seriously, the level of customer service is so low the bar has been buried and given a funeral.

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2008, 23:11
hmm, your not going to get much help from people if you start insulting them. :mad:

Your problem is not an uncommon one for leasehold properties. Essentially to run the needed cables there has to be a wayleave (legal right), over the land. You as one flat owner share the rights to the land with others. They have to consent.

Things like water, gas, electricity, as the statutory services, were resolved when your building was put up. Cable isn't a statutory service, and therefore the rights have to be created later. That relies on consent.

The agreement presented will be a generic one. Some buildings can only have cables run internally due to height, appearance or layout. Normally that can be done through common parts, but not always.

If you can show a practical route for wiring exists externally (i.e. only to the first floor - 2nd floor would be too high for safety), or via common parts only, Virgin and the other flat owners might be happy.

Don't blame Virgin Media though, they are only following legal procedure.

nemof
15-04-2008, 23:29
hmm, your not going to get much help from people if you start insulting them. :mad:

Your problem is not an uncommon one for leasehold properties. Essentially to run the needed cables there has to be a wayleave (legal right), over the land. You as one flat owner share the rights to the land with others. They have to consent.

Things like water, gas, electricity, as the statutory services, were resolved when your building was put up. Cable isn't a statutory service, and therefore the rights have to be created later. That relies on consent.

The agreement presented will be a generic one. Some buildings can only have cables run internally due to height, appearance or layout. Normally that can be done through common parts, but not always.

If you can show a practical route for wiring exists externally (i.e. only to the first floor - 2nd floor would be too high for safety), or via common parts only, Virgin and the other flat owners might be happy.

Don't blame Virgin Media though, they are only following legal procedure.

Oh it's not that which bothers me - I am happy to jump through all the legalities, I understand the necessity of them.

Virgin customer service is terrible, just all out bad. When ever I ask anything of them I have to call them up again to make sure they are doing what I asked. I had to call them 5 times to get them to send out letters to my landlord and the flat owner below. When I call them I speak to people who can't tell me what's going on, what's previously been done, what they are waiting for... anything.

I expect to get help from these people because I'm paying them for a service. I'm not interested in being rude, but it doesn't stop be saying I honestly think that Virgin Media customer service is crap.

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2008, 23:38
But if you really think they are that bad, why get involved with them in the first place :confused:

rogerdraig
15-04-2008, 23:42
i am sure they changed the law on access to stop these problems

i know you can now gain access to do work on your property now thought that covered this to

nemof
15-04-2008, 23:50
That's a good question.

I live in Bristol, at the time I signed up with virgin they were the cheapest unlimited broadband. My requirements include no monthly download limit (excluding fair use etc).

Previously having been with Blueyonder and knowing that they had been made part of Virgin I expected the same high quality of speed and service.

To their merit, Virgin Internet's speed has been just fine. Their aftercare service has not, as I have unfortunately had to discover.

It isn't as if I'm the only person who thinks that, I guess I just needed to complain about how useless they have been.

whydoIneedatech
16-04-2008, 09:15
That's a good question.

I live in Bristol, at the time I signed up with virgin they were the cheapest unlimited broadband. My requirements include no monthly download limit (excluding fair use etc).

Previously having been with Blueyonder and knowing that they had been made part of Virgin I expected the same high quality of speed and service.

To their merit, Virgin Internet's speed has been just fine. Their aftercare service has not, as I have unfortunately had to discover.

It isn't as if I'm the only person who thinks that, I guess I just needed to complain about how useless they have been.

As the previous poster stated they are just following the law, if you were the person in the flat below you might feel different about this situation.

spike7451
16-04-2008, 09:25
I have never heard of any installer needing access to someone elses flat!
If you are in a council flat & the bloke below owns his VM need his permission to cross his garden & go up to you HOWEVER if he does NOT own his council flat & the council does,then you may not need a wayleave as 90% of council's have a blanket wayleave.