PDA

View Full Version : VMs Business Broadband.

frogstamper
15-04-2008, 22:48
After looking through VMs site I can find no prices [or much else actually] relating to VMs business broadband service. I have heard a couple of posters refer to it saying its fast and reliable, can anybody give any prices please?.

Druchii
15-04-2008, 22:55
After looking through VMs site I can find no prices [or much else actually] relating to VMs business broadband service. I have heard a couple of posters refer to it saying its fast and reliable, can anybody give any prices please?.
http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

TraxData
15-04-2008, 22:56
Hi, It's £47/month 10mbit/768k No STM what so ever.

Will be upgraded to 20mbit/1.5mbit sometime this year.

frogstamper
15-04-2008, 23:25
http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

Cheers guys, just looking at my options if stm gets much worse, also Trax it looks even better than £47 for 10mb, its stated at £30 for 4mb and £40 for 10mb and best of all its truly "unlimited". I must admit I was expecting it to cost quite a bit more so I'm pleasantly surprised, thanks again guys.:D

TehTech
15-04-2008, 23:38

Hey Trax!

Is there any whisper around about when they are gonna unleash the 20Mb config files to modems yet please?

With such a rock steady 10Mb connection, I would welcome the upgrade!! (well, when the lil buggers are at school and NOT on holiday as they seem to have more holidays now than when I was at school!)

:)

TraxData
15-04-2008, 23:44
Hey Trax!

Is there any whisper around about when they are gonna unleash the 20Mb config files to modems yet please?

With such a rock steady 10Mb connection, I would welcome the upgrade!! (well, when the lil buggers are at school and NOT on holiday as they seem to have more holidays now than when I was at school!)

:)

Sometime during the summer, was supposed to be earlier but the 4-10mbit rollouts took over instead.

As i have said before (i think? lol) the configs are already on the servers, just not rolled out yet.

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 13:52
I'm tempted to get it. :). esp if the STM gets much worse. There's not much in the price from the Top teir res package and the 10 meg business. Do you have to be a business or can you get it set up at home

I see it has an AUP does anyone know what the limit is with that

TehTech
16-04-2008, 15:17
I'm tempted to get it. :). esp if the STM gets much worse. There's not much in the price from the Top teir res package and the 10 meg business. Do you have to be a business or can you get it set up at home

I see it has an AUP does anyone know what the limit is with that

You do not need a business to get business broadband, they just ask for a company name to put on the bill, and there IS NO STM or limits what-so-ever :)

The only thing I will say is, if your residential broadband falls to over-subscription, then you will probably not see much of an improvement, even though business users get higher priority, if the UBR is over-subscribed, you will just get higher priority of what is free, now I was lucky to have gotten something done to my line (I am not sure what, but I do remember a nice helpfull NTL:Telewest member of staff saying they was trying to get the contention ratio to around 15-1, where as it is normally 20-1 (please correct me if I am wrong) and was told residential broadband is 50-1, so business users dont have to share half as much as normal users :)

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 15:29
You do not need a business to get business broadband, they just ask for a company name to put on the bill, and there IS NO STM or limits what-so-ever :)

The only thing I will say is, if your residential broadband falls to over-subscription, then you will probably not see much of an improvement, even though business users get higher priority, if the UBR is over-subscribed, you will just get higher priority of what is free, now I was lucky to have gotten something done to my line (I am not sure what, but I do remember a nice helpfull NTL:Telewest member of staff saying they was trying to get the contention ratio to around 15-1, where as it is normally 20-1 (please correct me if I am wrong) and was told residential broadband is 50-1, so business users dont have to share half as much as normal users :)

TehTech
16-04-2008, 17:15

No problemo, I wish you luck, not that you will really need it :)

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 17:26
Might be a little while before I try for it as thinking of moving house (again) in the summer. It does seem to be the best option for me as I'm working with a web radio station and supposed to be doing shows (well once I get my other laptop fixed. Still can get the internal mic disabled so I can use an external one :()

LaineY
17-04-2008, 13:48
i want a business account ... im in edinburgh city center and im sick of STM.. id like alot of bandwidth and im in a telewest area..

do they or dont they switch cables to a business ubr..?
and is it 40 quid a month (IN TW Area) (47 quid a month in NTL Area)

theres so many mixed answers on this forum about business accounts it seems no one has a clue even the people who have it dont answer with straight answers

i suppose the actuall question is.. IS it actually better than standard VM that u pay 37 quid for a month?
do u get preference is the service better.. is the pings better and is games better?
do you get capped?

people keep quoting other people and not providing full answers (or reading questions correctly).

Regards

whydoIneedatech
17-04-2008, 14:35
i want a business account ... im in edinburgh city center and im sick of STM.. id like alot of bandwidth and im in a telewest area..

theres so many mixed answers on this forum about business accounts it seems no one has a clue even the people who have it dont answer with straight answers

i suppose the actuall question is.. IS it actually better than standard VM that u pay 37 quid for a month?
do u get preference is the service better.. is the pings better and is games better?
do you get capped?

people keep quoting other people and not providing full answers (or reading questions correctly).

Regards

Try ringing number below.

Get in touch with ntl:Telewest Business
For all phone enquiries call:
0800 953 0180
Monday to Friday
8am to 6pm

TraxData
17-04-2008, 14:37

do you get capped?

Regards

As far as im aware its £47/month in both (TW/VM)
Is it better? yes, no STM, sites load quicker for me, less latency.
Dont get capped...as i said, no STM, they have a FUP though..but i do 1-2TB/month with no problems.

Ernie_C
17-04-2008, 15:18
As far as im aware its £47/month in both (TW/VM)

...but is it really £47? Can you have it as part of a bundle with TV and Phone?

For example, if you are a VIP customer, can you have the business broadband for £47 to replace your XL BB at £37, making a total charge of £95. I suspect not as presumeably you have two accounts, one business and one residential.

LaineY
17-04-2008, 15:32
ok i gave them a call..
turns out everyones wrong lol

40 quid a month for fone and broadband with no cappage / no restrictions
guarenteed 10mb.. 7/1 cont ratio and they dont know wether the business broadbands getting upgraded to 20 or 25 they havent decided yet...

:) bye Virgin Media.. i cant deal with the public service anymoe and the thing is
i worked for VMEDIA BB Tech support for a year lol

TraxData
17-04-2008, 15:40
ok i gave them a call..
turns out everyones wrong lol

40 quid a month for fone and broadband with no cappage / no restrictions
guarenteed 10mb.. 7/1 cont ratio and they dont know wether the business broadbands getting upgraded to 20 or 25 they havent decided yet...

:) bye Virgin Media.. i cant deal with the public service anymoe and the thing is
i worked for VMEDIA BB Tech support for a year lol

Actually, your wrong, it is £47, you need to add VAT ;)

No restrictions/STM/Capping is true.

Yes its guarenteed, contention ratio, well i cant remember what it is.

And it's deffinately 20 as thats what the configs say ;)

Messiah
17-04-2008, 16:43
I've looked into the Business offerings and wholeheartedly dissapointed due to it still being crap upload speeds. If only it were half-symetrical then I'd be interested though that makes me naturally think why the hell should I have to jump ship to business side of things just because they can't produce a upto-date cable infrustructure to handle things effectivly. And again Ironically I still get a rock solid connection with the so called traffic issues.

Its took so long for reports to even mention the Internet/cable infrustructure in this country.

LaineY
17-04-2008, 17:49
ok jst phoned them a second time,, due to ur £47 quid thing..

nein.. its 40

ceedee
17-04-2008, 19:47
ok jst phoned them a second time,, due to ur £47 quid thing..

nein.. its 40

Do me a favour?
When you get your first bill, scan and upload it so I'll know for sure?

TehTech
17-04-2008, 20:31
Do me a favour?
When you get your first bill, scan and upload it so I'll know for sure?

I can confirm that it IS £47 per month, it is £40 PLUS VAT, but they dont tell ya that bit, cos if your a business then you either dont pay VAT, or you get it returned...

ceedee
17-04-2008, 21:10
I can confirm that it IS £47 per month, it is £40 PLUS VAT, but they dont tell ya that bit, cos if your a business then you either dont pay VAT, or you get it returned...

Yeah I thought that was the case, and kinda why I was asking for documentary evidence.

LaineY would do well to have a read of the thread "Residential to Business broadband migration (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33629083-residential-to-business-braodband-migration.html)" where Kymmy has today posted:
"I've just got my first bill that includes install, and the first two months payments.. Looking at the bill it confirms that the £40 per week is definately ex-VAT, total bill was 163.40UKP"

Ignoring the mis-type of week/month, that bill includes charges for installation, £49; static IPs, £10; plus two months @ £40; which totals £139. Add vat to make £163.40.

Hope you spot that LaineY!

Definitely a possibility if VM drop Phorm but the ridiculous STM is afflicted nationwide.

LaineY
18-04-2008, 08:13
Yeah I thought that was the case, and kinda why I was asking for documentary evidence.

LaineY would do well to have a read of the thread "Residential to Business broadband migration (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33629083-residential-to-business-braodband-migration.html)" where Kymmy has today posted:
"I've just got my first bill that includes install, and the first two months payments.. Looking at the bill it confirms that the £40 per week is definately ex-VAT, total bill was 163.40UKP"

Ignoring the mis-type of week/month, that bill includes charges for installation, £49; static IPs, £10; plus two months @ £40; which totals £139. Add vat to make £163.40.

Hope you spot that LaineY!

Definitely a possibility if VM drop Phorm but the ridiculous STM is afflicted nationwide.

Hmm... cant believe iv asked them this 3 times and they didnt say..
i doesnt look like im gonna be able to get it tho:S
they sent me a direct debit mandate form / order form and a CREDIT CHECK form.

the only problem is.. the Credit check form is asking me a load of questions about what company i have etc...

i am not a business so i dont think im gonna fall into a trap as registering my address on a business account as its against the law to get a business account without a business.. iv been onto a financial adviser etc and was advised the T's and C's could cause issues with my land lord and i could end up getting done as i dont have a business and taking out a business account with NTL/BY the Inland Revenue has the right to know about.. which could inflict charges.

i thought this would have been simple.. :S

so i sat and thought about it.. and if it is 47 quid a month inc vat..
then .. infairness its technically not worth it.. especially if ur GF uses the house phone which will cost 1.8 pence a minute (or if u add a 01/02 number package for 12 or 15 quid ... its making it almost a Contract phone thats overcharging you big style..

i suppose ur right.. what do you expect? its a business account...

but in fairness.. just now im pinging @ 39-23-23-24
i tried a download from gamefiles lastnite to which i was getting 0.99mb/s
10 meg.. ALMOST and im on a 20 meg con.

I have to be honest.. the business account sounds fetching as its the old Telewest :) which i honestly miss (even altho its the same company)
.. it just sounds good..

but it seems telewest went down hill after being bought over by NTL then choosing the stupid Virgin Name for residential

rofl i remember when customers used to call and say is this Blueband?
and i was like no... thats a buscuit lol

TehTech
18-04-2008, 08:37
Hmm... cant believe iv asked them this 3 times and they didnt say..
i doesnt look like im gonna be able to get it tho:S
they sent me a direct debit mandate form / order form and a CREDIT CHECK form.

the only problem is.. the Credit check form is asking me a load of questions about what company i have etc...

i am not a business so i dont think im gonna fall into a trap as registering my address on a business account as its against the law to get a business account without a business.. iv been onto a financial adviser etc and was advised the T's and C's could cause issues with my land lord and i could end up getting done as i dont have a business and taking out a business account with NTL/BY the Inland Revenue has the right to know about.. which could inflict charges.

i thought this would have been simple.. :S

so i sat and thought about it.. and if it is 47 quid a month inc vat..
then .. infairness its technically not worth it.. especially if ur GF uses the house phone which will cost 1.8 pence a minute (or if u add a 01/02 number package for 12 or 15 quid ... its making it almost a Contract phone thats overcharging you big style..

i suppose ur right.. what do you expect? its a business account...

but in fairness.. just now im pinging @ 39-23-23-24
i tried a download from gamefiles lastnite to which i was getting 0.99mb/s
10 meg.. ALMOST and im on a 20 meg con.

I have to be honest.. the business account sounds fetching as its the old Telewest :) which i honestly miss (even altho its the same company)
.. it just sounds good..

but it seems telewest went down hill after being bought over by NTL then choosing the stupid Virgin Name for residential

rofl i remember when customers used to call and say is this Blueband?
and i was like no... thats a buscuit lol

it IS NOT against the law, dont be so damn wet behind the ears!

If its illegal, why did NTL:Telewest give me business broadbandAFTER I told them I dont have a business???

They asked me WHY I wanted it ifIdont have 1,I just told the truth- fed up with STM and NOT getting speeds I was being charged for,and I simply put it that with the "business package" that I get DEAD ON 10Mb no matter what time of the day or night, and I called them up to praise them for doing somthing that the actual VM residential broadband cant do.

BUT if you think all that, maybe business broadband isnt for you, you just stay on STM Hell (residential) and I will use the bandwidth YOU cannot use mwahahahaha

And while we are on the subject, you think the business phone package costs too much? simply do what I do, or rather what I DONT do, dont even have a phone plugged into the business phone socket, stick with your residential phone package for that!

Kymmy
18-04-2008, 09:03

Hey!!! Just be glad I got the rest right :D:D:D After half a bottle of single malt I was ready to type anything last night ;)

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

As far as pretending to be a business just tell them you're a sole trader...nothing illegal in doing that.... It's only illegal to say that you're a limited company and by saying so they ask for a registration number which can then be checked on the companie's house database (Co name/location/type of business)

Kymmy

LaineY
18-04-2008, 09:20
Hey!!! Just be glad I got the rest right :D:D:D After half a bottle of single malt I was ready to type anything last night ;)

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

As far as pretending to be a business just tell them you're a sole trader...nothing illegal in doing that.... It's only illegal to say that you're a limited company and by saying so they ask for a registration number which can then be checked on the companie's house database (Co name/location/type of business)

Kymmy

Kymmy im actually litterly tearing my hair out over this...

im not sure what i want anymore lol! but a business account sounds good for a solid con!

The ultimate question is.. Is it better than Residential?
i may possibly concider it if i can persuade the gf not to use the phone line..

TehTech
18-04-2008, 11:02

im not sure what i want anymore lol! but a business account sounds good for a solid con!

Whats NOT to be better? there is NO STM, if there IS a problem, ya got a 6 hr SLA (meaning they have 6 hrs to fix it) and you get TRUE SPEEDS!!!

And as I said above, as reguardto your phone, dont plug a phone into the business phone socket, use normal VMphoneline or BT, there is nothing to worry about, but if your not sure, stay on STM hell, 6Mb if your luck, then being STM'd right down as far as they can go... Tough choice!!!

Kymmy
18-04-2008, 12:09

Personally I got the business service purely as I needed the fixed IP's and better upload speeds, If I'd stayed on the 4mb service I probably would have been upgraded this summer to 10mb but at 66% the upload speed....but hopefully 10mb business will be a nice 20/1.5 sevice later this year.

What you have to remember is that both the VM residential and NTL business BB services have in common is a FAIR USAGE POLICY. I've not heard anyone on business BB getting hit with it, though as VM have STM they don;t bother hitting any of thier clients with it either...but it is there so you can NOT count either service as unlimited.

Also if you;ve got a bad service now on 20/10/4 Mbps then the business side probably will not help as although the service is prioritized it's not gonna help that much in an over subbed UBR, Living in a small village I never had a problem on my 4Mb account with the line never dropping below 3.5Mbps

As I've said though in my other thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33629083-residential-to-business-braodband-migration.html)where I detailed my experience from pre-order to current date (about 7 weeks after install) I'm really happy with the service.. I run a couple of websites and a mail server on the connection as well as allocating about 5Mbps for personal usage... Yes there are things I;d like to see done better....Like true fixed subnetable IP's, Reverse DNS capability but if that happens (including the 20mb upgrade) then it's a bonus...

If you do go for it as a sole trader then it's the same as a residential account (i.e..you personally are responsible for costs) where as a limited company the company itself is responsible.

Kymmy

PS...weird though after thinking about it is that I still do my main downloading either in the morning or over night....but it is really nice though not having to clock watch in case I accidently over-run into STM time

Incarniac
19-04-2008, 16:10
Does anyone know what the status of Phorm would/will be on a business account?

ceedee
19-04-2008, 16:53

Nobody knows -- VM refuse to make any official statement other than the one on their website (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise.php) plus responses to customers' complaints and comments to the media that they're still evaluating Phorm.

I'd be surprised if VM could route business traffic away from the Webwise 'rules engine' other than using IPs or MACs (to replace the opt-out/opt-in cookies) but until they decide if they will be operating it, and if so, how they'll make it work, it's all guess work.

Watch this space....
:angel:

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 08:37
Sorry but I fail to see how PHORM will effect the net users that don't want it?? VM/NTL and every other ISP have stated that you can OPT-OUT....Also the legal status hasn;t truly been ratified yet...also most internet security products have said that their tools will have the option to stop all Adware including PHORM..... In fact makes you wonder if PHORM will get off the ground or not as I can see 80%+ of VM customers alone opting out purely on the basis of news coverage.

Anyway...getting back to the business account....I got a PM today asking more info about the business install and especially about the VAT...

Can I just state that VAT is nothing to do with TAX BRACKETS (as quoted in the PM) as EVERYONE pays VAT...It's even on your residential account prices (as inclusive)...The ONLY reason as to why business accounts are quoted as EXCLUDING VAT and not inclusive like the residential accounts is that a BUSINESS can claim it back where as a private individual can't. So the business price of £40+VAT if quoted by the residential service would be £47 Inclusive VAT...

Just a thought though for the people worried about getting a business account when they're not a business...I wonder what the status is for NPMO (non-profit making orgs.) as I run a NPMO for a website complete with business bank account for it...Classified as a business but not within the scope of the tax people as only enough donations go in to keep the webspace paid for...but no reason as to why a NPMO like that couldn't also pay for a business cable account???? Just an idea for all the "I'm not a business" people out there...

Kymmy

PC_Arcade
23-04-2008, 10:03
I'm on NTLTelewest Business, I was completely upfront and explicitly told them I wasn't a business and why I was coming to them (VM being *****), not only was it not a problem the woman I spoke to said they'd had quite a number of individuals come over quoting VM's appalling service!

It really shouldn't be a problem IMHO, if asked, just say you occasionally work from home and that's against the residential T&C's

shunt010
23-04-2008, 10:17
Virgin Business is going to have a STM implemented, see my other post, and this is direct from Virgin themselves.

TraxData
23-04-2008, 14:26
Virgin Business is going to have a STM implemented, see my other post, and this is direct from Virgin themselves.

No, it's not.

Apart from the fact it would be very unwise to STM business users, it's also against their business stratergy.

shunt010
23-04-2008, 14:50
Why are Virgin saying they are going to have one then?

I'm confused!

TraxData
23-04-2008, 14:52
Why are Virgin saying they are going to have one then?

I'm confused!

Whom did you speak to at VM who gave you that info? their FUP hasnt changed, nothing on the site has changed and a close source i have says its a load of tosh as well, also the STM you listed is exactly the same as the STM for the new "10mbit" tier on the residential package, me thinks you've been told lies ;)

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 15:14
Whom did you speak to at VM who gave you that info?

He gave the name in the other thread..

It is weird though because CS people normally tell lies to gain customers (commission???) where as this possible lie is based at turning away a customer....

Kymmy

TraxData
23-04-2008, 15:17
He gave the name in the other thread..

It is weird though because CS people normally tell lies to gain customers (commission???) where as this possible lie is based at turning away a customer....

Kymmy

Fact it was CS is bad enough but as noted above he has just quoted the STM rules for the new 4/10mbit tier on the residential package.

ceedee
23-04-2008, 19:40
I'd be surprised if VM could route business traffic away from the Webwise 'rules engine' other than using IPs or MACs (to replace the opt-out/opt-in cookies) but until they decide if they will be operating it, and if so, how they'll make it work, it's all guess work.

Sorry but I fail to see how PHORM will effect the net users that don't want it?? VM/NTL and every other ISP have stated that you can OPT-OUT....

So far we only know about the BT Retail method of opting-out (http://webwise.bt.com/webwise/customer_choice.html) of Phorm which involves either letting them place a cookie on your pc (which immediately means that it's NOT a true opt-out!) or you can refuse or delete their cookies.

Either way, the only way that Webwise can determine if you want to be part of the Phorm tracking system, is to check your computer every time you access a web page (or any other use of http).
This means (as I stated) that everything you do will still be routed through the Webwise 'rules engine' and is therefore open to abuse.

At any time Phorm's software can be amended to ignore the presence of your opt-out cookie (or it's absence) and start analysing your clickstream and I suspect that you won't know anything about it and neither will VM.

That's why I think that Phorm's Webwise system affects EVERY net user (not just those of us using BT Retail, TalkTalk and VM): it's a complete loss of control over the 'ownership' of our browsing history and should be a criminal offence!

Please familiarise yourself with how Phorm works before we let them open this Pandora's Box and privatise our free and open internet!

shunt010
23-04-2008, 19:58
How does Phorm work with things which use their own (quite bad) HTTP implementation for various things and don't support cookies?

ceedee
23-04-2008, 21:38
@Shunt -- until Phorm goes live, nobody really knows. If you've got a query about a specific application it might be worth asking in the enormous Phorm thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628733-virgin-media-phorm-webwise-adverts-updated.html).

broadbandbug
24-04-2008, 12:24

Not true.. There is/will be STM for Business Broadband and the 20Mb/s will be a new product not an upgrade:p:

TraxData
24-04-2008, 12:27
Not true.. There is/will be STM for Business Broadband and the 20Mb/s will be a new product not an upgrade:p:

Oh quit posting BS, it gets highly annoying.

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2008, 12:29
If you have a problem with a post report it, do NOT tell other members what they can and can't post.

EDIT - you should PM a mod if you don't agree with one of their posts - usually the mod that made the post. In this case I wouldn't PM me however as I'm off for a week within a few hours.

dev
24-04-2008, 12:34
How does Phorm work with things which use their own (quite bad) HTTP implementation for various things and don't support cookies?

according to the guy from cambridge, 2 things will happen:

1. the user agent will not be on phorms list and so ignored
2. as it doesnt support cookies, the phorm stuff will ignore the traffic otherwise it'll get stuck in a loop

broadbandbug
24-04-2008, 12:57
Oh quit posting BS, it gets highly annoying.

Sorry, just trying to provide a level of detail that seems to be missing..

There is a Business STM Trial currently running on 4 & 10Mb/s.. It will roll out nationally.

The 20Mb/s Business Tier is a new product and will be trialled and possibly rolled out in a couple of months.

Regards
:D

TraxData
24-04-2008, 12:58
Sorry, just trying to provide a level of detail that seems to be missing..

There is a Business STM Trial currently running on 4 & 10Mb/s.. It will roll out nationally.

The 20Mb/s Business Tier is a new product and will be trialled and possibly rolled out in a couple of months.

Regards
:D

Suppose thats why i and many others are getting upgraded to 20mbit business from 10 then is it? :rolleyes:

Running STM on the business packages would be suicide, VM know that and you know that.

And the 20mbit config has been up for ages, it was trialled over a year and a half ago :rolleyes:

broadbandbug
24-04-2008, 13:03
Suppose thats why i and many others are getting upgraded to 20mbit business from 10 then is it? :rolleyes:

Running STM on the business packages would be suicide, VM know that and you know that.

And the 20mbit config has been up for ages, it was trialled over a year and a half ago :rolleyes:

New Config File being rolled out with different QOS and associated STM Profile..:rolleyes:

We will wait and see regards STM for Business..:dozey:

TraxData
24-04-2008, 13:05
New Config File being rolled out with different QOS and associated STM Profile..:rolleyes:

We will wait and see regards STM for Business..:dozey:

Yea, sure, i've just checked :rolleyes:

Yes, yes we will.

TraxData
07-05-2008, 00:39
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/05/30.png

20mbit config rolled out yesterday.....wonder how many have got it...

Kymmy
07-05-2008, 10:00
Not me, tried the modem reboot and it's still reporting

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 769000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 5

Mind you I am on ex-NTL and not Telewest

Kymmy

broadbandbug
07-05-2008, 11:40
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/05/30.png

20mbit config rolled out yesterday.....wonder how many have got it...

about 150ish I would say:D

TraxData
07-05-2008, 16:42
Not me, tried the modem reboot and it's still reporting

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 769000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 5

Mind you I am on ex-NTL and not Telewest

Kymmy

Your not missing much, it's not very stable.

broadbandbug
08-05-2008, 13:29
Your not missing much, it's not very stable.

It will be when it moves over to the DoCSIS 3.0 Platform;)

Kymmy
08-05-2008, 16:06
It will be when it moves over to the DoCSIS 3.0 Platform;)

I take it that will mean new modems and different IP's

Perhaps with the new architecture they'll bring in a better fixed IP system??

Then again https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

Kymmy

broadbandbug
08-05-2008, 16:34
I take it that will mean new modems and different IP's

Perhaps with the new architecture they'll bring in a better fixed IP system??

Then again https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

Kymmy

Doesn't necessarily mean new modems.. They could run DoCSIS 2.0 in parallel on the DoCSIS 3.0 Platform but share the 20Mb/s modems across all 4 downstream ports to give a lower contention ratio. I would say definately new IPs.

Better fixed IP System? Probably;):angel:

Kymmy
08-05-2008, 16:45
Doesn't necessarily mean new modems.. They could run DoCSIS 2.0 in parallel on the DoCSIS 3.0 Platform but share the 20Mb/s modems across all 4 downstream ports to give a lower contention ratio. I would say definately new IPs.

Better fixed IP System? Probably;):angel:
Never thought of that, I take it then that Docsis3 is multiplexed streams ...hence Docsis2 can quite happily run on a single stream...

As far as the fixed IP's I still note that the business site is still quoting blocks of 8 IP's (5 usable once you use the gateway, modem and broadcast addresses) anyone know if that's a throwback from NTL/TW or is it perhaps in preperation of a new system??

Kymmy

PS..I do love the flying pig...I wonder if I can interest VM in it as thier new logo??? ;):dozey:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

Ian-Highlander
08-05-2008, 20:51
Well they did something in Stevenage over night last night (resegmenting the UBR's perhaps?) as now my static IP allocation physically don't work period and the DHCP ranged IP I'm getting now is on a completely different class A range. I raised a fault call with them about it at 9am this morning, was told I'd be called back in an hour or two, chased it again tonight to be told "all the broadband support people go home at 8pm, we're Telco support, I can't do anything to help you". She then proceeded to deny after hours support ever existed for Business Broadband, errrm yes it did love, I've phoned it several times and actually got decent staff who knew what the hell they where doing each time (until tonight).

This is the first time I've been let down by the Business Broadband support, gotta say, not impressed after singing their praises pretty much constantly since getting it as they've been brilliant up until now. I've had all sorts of grief this morning with users unable to connect to my systems while the new IP numbers replicate through DNS and I'm currently back effectively on the residential system, no static IPs, no decent support (my two main reasons for moving to business broadband in the first place) and some very p***ed off users not to mention how I'm feeling.

Come on NTL/Telewest Business / Virgin Media, whoever you are these days, get your act together please.

A 20MB upgrade would be very nice, but right now I'd settle for my static IP allocation back and working again please, not too much to ask is it?

Ian-Highlander
09-05-2008, 19:29
Well, I finally got through to someone in Business support that new what he was talking about after several phone calls and nearly two days of trying. My faith in the support techs is at least partially restored as "Mark" (Surname with-held) actually knew his stuff and sorted me out very quickly indeed. The fact it took me so many phone calls and that I was promised callbacks a number of times that didn't materialise is very poor indeed. However...

As suspected they'd resegmented the Stevenage UBR's making my static IP's completely useless as they where in the wrong class A range. De-registering and re-registering my modem and I'm back on line with a new range of "static" (and I use that word loosely) IP's that actually work again.

Thanks to "Mark" for his helpful and friendly assistance if he reads this, much appreciated and was nice to talk to someone who knew what the hell he was talking about. Shame the previous calls couldn't have been answered by someone quite so helpful and knowledgeable but hey.

broadbandbug
10-05-2008, 11:09
Well, I finally got through to someone in Business support that new what he was talking about after several phone calls and nearly two days of trying. My faith in the support techs is at least partially restored as "Mark" (Surname with-held) actually knew his stuff and sorted me out very quickly indeed. The fact it took me so many phone calls and that I was promised callbacks a number of times that didn't materialise is very poor indeed. However...

As suspected they'd resegmented the Stevenage UBR's making my static IP's completely useless as they where in the wrong class A range. De-registering and re-registering my modem and I'm back on line with a new range of "static" (and I use that word loosely) IP's that actually work again.

Thanks to "Mark" for his helpful and friendly assistance if he reads this, much appreciated and was nice to talk to someone who knew what the hell he was talking about. Shame the previous calls couldn't have been answered by someone quite so helpful and knowledgeable but hey.

What people need to understand is that ntl/Telewest Business do not have a Static IP Solution available.
They provided what they call Fixed IP.. Which is infact long lease IP.
When re-seg's are undertaken they are supposed to identify the Fixed IP Customers and sort them out as part of the migration, however sometimes the engineers are not able to identify all of the business customers and the problem you had happens..
Hopefully they will introduce a 'proper' fixed IP system soon so that these problems don't occur.

Kymmy
10-05-2008, 13:05
Hopefully they will introduce a 'proper' fixed IP system soon so that these problems don't occur.

OH...Oh....oh...I feel the flying pig coming out again :p

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

Seriously though I'd love for them to allocate true blocks of fixed IP's, that way I wouldn;t need to double up with local IP's so that my PC would talk to my KISS player and Satellite system.....

Kymmy

Ian-Highlander
10-05-2008, 23:18
What people need to understand is that ntl/Telewest Business do not have a Static IP Solution available.
They provided what they call Fixed IP.. Which is infact long lease IP.
When re-seg's are undertaken they are supposed to identify the Fixed IP Customers and sort them out as part of the migration, however sometimes the engineers are not able to identify all of the business customers and the problem you had happens..

Heh, oh I fully understand the so called "static" IP system NTL/Telewest Business run and infact have ranted about it on many occasions and explained it in full to several people on these forums in the past. It's a crap system, I said so to the guy the other night (and he agreed) and yes I wish they'd bring out a true static IP system, but right now, this is the best I can get through their systems. What it does mean is that my IPs won't change after an outage if my DHCP lease was to run out during that outage unless the outage was because they resegmented the UBR again. Which lets face it is less often the DHCP leases.

No, it's not ideal, but I prefer this to nothing right now. ;)

Rumours are that a "better" system of IP management will appear with the DOCSIS 3.0 release and roll out so fingers crossed for that. :)

ccarmock
14-06-2008, 01:21
Reading through this thread about the fixed IP addresses. One poster showed the reverse DNS as being in a pool static.ntl.com

I have just ordered the 10 Mb/s service with fixed IP address. Are the fixed addresses notified to customers in advance? Also are they from a seperate block - so the likes of SORBS etc won't cause problems with SMTP email, as they flag dynamic blocks as such and often cause problems with delivery.

If they are in a seperate block then this shouldn't be an issue.

Kymmy
14-06-2008, 09:54
All of mine show as individual dynamic connections - cpcx-flitx-x-x-custxxx.lutn.cable.ntl.com

Kymmy

ccarmock
14-06-2008, 11:44
Do you get problems with mail bouncing back due to SORBs etc?

Kymmy
14-06-2008, 13:48
Do you get problems with mail bouncing back due to SORBs etc?

Never tried sending direct (Mainly as I know I will have problems with a dynamic IP) so I just relay through the NTL busniess SMTP server, but recieving is fine and means I can spam/blacklist check filter at the source.

Kymmy

ccarmock
18-06-2008, 00:08
Has any one managed to get a fixed IP address with the business service that has reverse DNS indicating is it from a static pool? Elsewhere on this forum I saw a post (which I can't find now!) that indicated that someone had done that. That would be good enough to ensure SORBS stayed clear of it.

Kymmy
18-06-2008, 08:19
There is a difference between business broadband and a fully managed leased line (1:1 contention ratio) the latter is the only time I have ever seen rDNS referenced to NTL.

Business broadband is basically the residential service but with slightly higher priority, sticky IP's and currently no STM on the lower levels.

Kymmy

APS
18-06-2008, 09:46
Reading through this thread about the fixed IP addresses. One poster showed the reverse DNS as being in a pool static.ntl.com

I have just ordered the 10 Mb/s service with fixed IP address. Are the fixed addresses notified to customers in advance? Also are they from a seperate block - so the likes of SORBS etc won't cause problems with SMTP email, as they flag dynamic blocks as such and often cause problems with delivery.

If they are in a seperate block then this shouldn't be an issue.

We have this service and had the problem you fear. A reverse lookup maps into the NTL dynamic range and it does cause problems if you try to send mail directly. Our solution (at the time, moved on since) was to send the mail via NTL's SMTP servers which definitely do have fixed IPs, but very occasionally get in a block list themselves.

APS

Kymmy
18-06-2008, 10:01

Reason you couldn;t find it is that it was a telewest static IP and it was THIS POST (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34504578-post33.html)

Kymmy

ccarmock
18-06-2008, 10:38
That's the one! I am in an ex-Telewest area so I wonder if that would apply to me?

When I first contacted NTL Business about this as soon as I mentioned I was in an ex-Telewest area they made reference to the fact static IPs are handled slightly differently on that network.

Not sure if that's still the case though!

I guess I'll have to use the ntlbusiness smarthost. Hopefully i can find out the IP range(s) it will generate mail from so I can include them in SPF definitions.

HHm I can see why people are not happy with the way they handle fixed IP addresses - very much a fudge and not what I expected.

Let's hope DOCSIS 3 will bring with it a new way to handle fixed IP addressing. I know they are holding off offerign fixed IP on the 20 Mbps service due to the fact that 20 Mbps services will migrate to DOCSIS 3 and then use it's fixed IP system.