PDA

View Full Version : pulling a pint ?

tweetypie/8
15-04-2008, 21:23
being irish and very fond of a pint of guinness i find that a lot of the pubs in england cant seem to pull a decent pint of the black stuff is this guinnesses fault for not showing staff how its done ?.some of the stuff ive been served up is totally undrinkable and if it was served in the same way over here it would be god help the barman.

kryogenik
15-04-2008, 21:27
Guinness drinker myself so do appreciate the right protocol!
;)
Not experienced many wrong pulls, but do think it's possible untrained bar staff might just pull a pint of Guinness without the appropriate pause. Wouldn't know where to lay the blame though - would it be down to the Guinness reps? Not sure.

Raistlin
15-04-2008, 21:30
There are three problems here:

1. Geography: Guiness doesn't travel well. The further you move it the worse it gets.

2. Popularity: Guinness needs to be pulled in order for it to taste its best. The first 4-5 pints pulled from a pump are always slightly ropey. If enough people in a bar are drinking it those first 4-5 are drunk quickly, if you're the only person drinking you're in for a rough night.

3. Care: You can't just slop out a pint of Guiness. It takes time, care, attention to detail, and an understanding of the stages involved, in order to pour the best pint. People pouring Guiness in British pubs are generally in too much of a rush, and don't really know *why* they should take their time. Any landlord worth their salt should be able to pour a decent Guiness, and they should be training their staff in this as well.

danielf
15-04-2008, 21:33
There are three problems here:
<snip>

4. Guinness = undrinkable

polmki
15-04-2008, 21:56
Widget.

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/images/yruif6jx8wzo41owuh1i.jpg

papa smurf
15-04-2008, 22:04
being irish and very fond of a pint of guinness i find that a lot of the pubs in england cant seem to pull a decent pint of the black stuff is this guinnesses fault for not showing staff how its done ?.some of the stuff ive been served up is totally undrinkable and if it was served in the same way over here it would be god help the barman.

when you say England do you mean ,northern proper England or sothern flat pop England, if you had a bad pint up north i hang my head in shame ,but if it was in down in shandy vile what did you expect, there to tight to put a head on beer.:D

idi banashapan
15-04-2008, 22:06
drinking establishments are all supplied with instructions on how to pour a pint of guiness. it's just crappy bartenders that can't do it right.

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2008, 23:02
when you say England do you mean ,northern proper England or sothern flat pop England, if you had a bad pint up north i hang my head in shame ,but if it was in down in shandy vile what did you expect, there to tight to put a head on beer.:D

Not too tight, what we want is the liquid that's drinkable, not the empty froth that is an excuse for the publican to make extra money.

But Guinness is an acquired art. Too often the drinker is in a rush as well as the bartender. Both can ruin it. But despite modern methods of transport, there is no doubt that it's best served in it's own country. A busy UK based Irish pub will run a second best.

TraxData
15-04-2008, 23:06

Imo thats 1,2 and 3.

tweetypie/8
16-04-2008, 00:31

that may be your opinion cant agree.:erm:

---------- Post added at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

down south papa.;)

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Not too tight, what we want is the liquid that's drinkable, not the empty froth that is an excuse for the publican to make extra money.

But Guinness is an acquired art. Too often the drinker is in a rush as well as the bartender. Both can ruin it. But despite modern methods of transport, there is no doubt that it's best served in it's own country. A busy UK based Irish pub will run a second best.

in the local where i have my tipple the majority of the crowd are guinness drinkers and the bar staff are a treat to watch,no hurried pints here and they will even do a shamrock for you out of the froth,quare stuff.:tu:

danielf
16-04-2008, 00:32
that may be your opinion cant agree. :erm:

Yeah, each to their own. It's just not for me. I'll stick to gassy lager. :)

tweetypie/8
16-04-2008, 00:35
drinking establishments are all supplied with instructions on how to pour a pint of guiness. it's just crappy bartenders that can't do it right.

i think your right bender.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Guinness drinker myself so do appreciate the right protocol!
;)
Not experienced many wrong pulls, but do think it's possible untrained bar staff might just pull a pint of Guinness without the appropriate pause. Wouldn't know where to lay the blame though - would it be down to the Guinness reps? Not sure.

could well be.

MovedGoalPosts
16-04-2008, 00:55
Yeah, each to their own. It's just not for me. I'll stick to gassy lager. :)

I'd rather buy something with body and alcohol than gas :drunk:

Nidge
16-04-2008, 04:18
A proper pint of guiness is a pint with a shamrock in the froth.

Raistlin
16-04-2008, 06:36
No it isn't. A 'proper' pint of Guiness is poured well and not mucked about with.

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 10:44
No it isn't. A 'proper' pint of Guiness is poured well and not mucked about with.

Indeed it is, well said :)

lostandconfused
16-04-2008, 11:18
Its not always down to the bar tender.

In my place i will see at least once a night someone ordering a huge round of drinks then once they have been served say, oh and a pint of guinness. Then when they are waiting for it to settle they serve another person (which needs to be done in a 3000 capacity venue) then they winge that they havent finished serving them yet.

Once a night is a lot considering i dont even work on the bar!

tweetypie/8
16-04-2008, 11:36
A proper pint of guiness is a pint with a shamrock in the froth.

you bet nidge.;)

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

I'd rather buy something with body and alcohol than gas :drunk:

wrong rob :td: you will get far more body in a pint of guinness than you will with that other stuff,and you definitley dont do as much running to the bog.;)

Stuart
16-04-2008, 11:40
Actually, most of the pubs round 'ere (Greenwich) do serve a decent pint of Guinness. The exception being "The Trafalgar". AFAIK, they don't do anything wrong in the pouring (they pour it 3/4s full, then wait a couple of minutes and pour the rest), but for some reason the only Guinness they serve that tastes like proper Guinness is the extra cold stuff. The normal Guinness just tastes wrong. Can't say exactly why, but it tastes almost like it's gone off.

The worst place I have found for Guinness was a Pub in Prestatyn, North Wales.

When I ordered a round of drinks, they always served the Guinness first, then stood there waiting for it to settle before going on and pouring the rest of the drinks, and it tasted foul..

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 13:24
Actually, most of the pubs round 'ere (Greenwich) do serve a decent pint of Guinness. The exception being "The Trafalgar". AFAIK, they don't do anything wrong in the pouring (they pour it 3/4s full, then wait a couple of minutes and pour the rest), but for some reason the only Guinness they serve that tastes like proper Guinness is the extra cold stuff. The normal Guinness just tastes wrong. Can't say exactly why, but it tastes almost like it's gone off.

The worst place I have found for Guinness was a Pub in Prestatyn, North Wales.

When I ordered a round of drinks, they always served the Guinness first, then stood there waiting for it to settle before going on and pouring the rest of the drinks, and it tasted foul..

Could it have been a dodgy barrel or something

alferret
16-04-2008, 22:57
Guinness, that isnt the nectar of the gods, its something hell spewed up and gave to those that have no taste buds.

JMO mind :D

The only time I ever drank guinness was with cider (black velvet) when I was younger and I used to get mullered on the stuff, but on its own, Ohhh Nooooo!!!!!