PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Capping bandwidth 24/7 ?

The Jackal
15-04-2008, 13:52
Please find attached my network usage note that I am currently capped and it's only 2pm :erm:

I thought that the caps were just between 5pm to 9pm ?

Can someone else confirm this ?

kryogenik
15-04-2008, 14:06
Yep.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631495-stm-statement.html

mojo
15-04-2008, 14:07
I too seem to have being capped, on upload at least. uTorrent can only reach 10k/sec up. It looks like maybe VM are throttling BT... Time to demand a massive discount if they are :(

The Jackal
15-04-2008, 14:19
Yep.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631495-stm-statement.html

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that 99% of my traffic is SSH but around midday I kicked off some p2p (very small amount only 1k up 20k down). Did the p2p usage trigger the cap I wonder ?

Excellent timing to find this out as I am trialing a new package from VM - I'll be back on the phone tonight to re-negoiate or cancel :)

mojo
15-04-2008, 14:47
I'm not in the trial areas but I'm still being capped. Time to ask for another discount.

The Jackal
15-04-2008, 14:48
I've just been asking be* users of caps and speeds and in comparison Virgin is twice as expensive and twice as slow.

It's a no brainer really - Get on the phone and cancel.

mojo
15-04-2008, 15:03
Yeah, I've been looking at Be too. As you say, time to switch.

Hugh
15-04-2008, 16:13
I've just been asking be* users of caps and speeds and in comparison Virgin is twice as expensive and twice as slow.

It's a no brainer really - Get on the phone and cancel.

Yeah, I've been looking at Be too. As you say, time to switch.
Whilst I agree you/we are best to switch to Be* at this time, what will happen if a couple of million switch to them, I wonder? :erm:

TraxData
15-04-2008, 16:16
Whilst I agree you/we are best to switch to Be* at this time, what will happen if a couple of million switch to them, I wonder? :erm:

Quite simply, Unlike VM, Be will apply the upgrades needed to accompany the new customers.

Thing about Be is, if there capacity is full...they wont add more customers unless upgrades have been done to allow it.

Hugh
15-04-2008, 16:17
Quite simply, Unlike VM, Be will apply the upgrades needed to accompany the new customers.

Thing about Be is, if there capacity is full...they wont add more customers unless upgrades have been done to allow it.
Fact? or assumption? ;)

TraxData
15-04-2008, 16:22
Fact? or assumption? ;)

Fact.

dev
15-04-2008, 16:38
Fact? or assumption? ;)

assumption probably, after all bandwidth per customer is going up anyway so they may not necessarily add more customers but the ones already on could easily get speed problems.

Hugh
15-04-2008, 16:40
Fact.
You have it in writing?

TraxData
15-04-2008, 16:41
assumption probably, after all bandwidth per customer is going up anyway so they may not necessarily add more customers but the ones already on could easily get speed problems.

Difference is when capacity is full and users start experiencing speed issues they upgrade.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

You have it in writing?

Unfortunetly you have to be registered with Be forums to see what i mean, and to do that you need to be a Be customer.

But i can assure you, they dont get all that praise for no reason ;)

Callumpy
15-04-2008, 16:43
Fact.

i agree, im on Be* and if you read t&c on their site it does or did say that if they start getting slower cause of more people joining that they will expand

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

and to do that you need to be a Be customer.

And also need to remember your username and password :(

xspeedyx
15-04-2008, 17:03
I work for VM so I am stuck with it and be can only offer me 1mb so the grass aint greener on the other side atleast with VM I can get 5Mb even tho I am traffic shaped

The Jackal
15-04-2008, 17:19
Well I'm just going to waste as much bandwidth as I possibly can and see what the graph looks like after a week.

Runs every minute as a cronjob.

cat waste_bandwidth.pl

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Net::SCP;
use Proc::Simple;

$lock='/tmp/important-process';

die("Already using bandwidth\n") if (-e "$lock");

$myproc = Proc::Simple->new();

$myproc->start(\&download);
sleep(61);
$myproc->poll() && $myproc->kill();

sub download {
$scp = Net::SCP->new( "static", "root" );
chdir(/tmp/);
while(1) {
$scp->get("/var/log/apache2/access_log") or die $scp->{errstr};
}
$scp->quit();
}

mojo
15-04-2008, 17:54
This is insufferable - it's not just that you get throttled to death almost every waking hour, the speeds attainable under shaping are pathetic. Even with no downloads doing, web pages time out, email fails to send etc. With 5k/sec upload on a torrent most stuff fails to load.

I could just about accept the 4pm-9pm thing since I was only paying £25 for XL, but now my connection is useless.

TehTech
15-04-2008, 18:00
This is insufferable - it's not just that you get throttled to death almost every waking hour, the speeds attainable under shaping are pathetic. Even with no downloads doing, web pages time out, email fails to send etc. With 5k/sec upload on a torrent most stuff fails to load.

I could just about accept the 4pm-9pm thing since I was only paying £25 for XL, but now my connection is useless.

Which is what THEY want!!

The less they give US, the long-time customers, the more new customers they can cram onto the already WELL OVER-SUBSCRIBED network!!

Welshchris
15-04-2008, 19:42
on sunday i came home around 4:15pm after being away for 2 days and the pc and modem had been off, i switched them on and started PC, only thing to download was an update for my Antivirus which is Avast pro....

When browsing the net i realised it was sluggish so i did a test on a download from their gamesfiles site and found i was getting a max of 88kb/s download.... i posted on their newsgroup and i had a reply that said my connection was being STM'd...

So i was instantly STM's from start.