PDA

View Full Version : Can I cancel TV & broadband but keep my telephone

lardboy
15-04-2008, 07:56
My plan is to change to sky for TV and broadband and get a refund from sky for a new BT line dedicated to the broadband.

Then I want to cancel my virginmedia TV and BB but keep the phoneline.

Anybody know if this is possible and do I need to give any notice if I am outside of the minimum contract period, also what is the cheapest telephone package.

TIA.

LondonRoad
15-04-2008, 09:15
Do you want to pay monthly fee to BT and keep your VM phone line too? :erm: I don't see why not. I'd be interested to know why though?

lardboy
15-04-2008, 09:44
My phone line currently comes in the front of my house and has an extension to my bedroom upstairs. My office, where the modem will be, is at the back of my house and has no phone line.

I want a dedicated BT line to the office so I can get the maximum performance from my Sky broadband.

To do this I can either have BT install their main line to the front of the house and a second line to the office and pay £10.50 for the main line and £11.75 for the second line or I can have BT install their main line directly to the office and pay them £10.50 for that line and keep paying Virgin media £11 for my existing phone line (I hope).

The installation costs of the main BT line will be covered by Sky as confirmed on the phone to them last night.

m419
15-04-2008, 16:50
That sounds like too much hassle and Cable internet is much more reliable than ADSL, so i'm just baffled as to why you'd want to do that. Why don't you give Virgin Media a call and maybe get a special offer from their retentions team , I managed to get the XL phone package,M Broadband and L TV package for £21 per month.

Furthermore, I have the option to take out the Virgin Mobile offer 300 mins and 300 texts for £10 extra so i could get all 4 services for £31 per month, with regards to the non-direct debit admin fee, I'm gonna switch to direct debit soon anyway.

Furthermore, if you need an extra telephone line for work or fax use, then they could install one for a as little as £25.

And with SKY, you don't get the following:

Virgin Central-On Demand programmes selected by Virgin Media
Catch up TV- on demand programmes of programmes missed
TV choice- A library of on demand prgrammes
Music- A very large library of music available on demand
Filmflex- 500 movies which can be watched on demand

All of the above can be fast forward,rewinded and paused. Sky don't do this. Also when your Sky box breaks down or your ADSL modem breaks down and ithe warranty runs out, who do you think has to pay for replacements? You do! Also you have to pay for call outs too whether its Sky's equipment or your fault.

So i'd think very carefully before switching!

lardboy
15-04-2008, 17:15
THIS (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631281-merged-neil-berkett-virgin-ceo-against.html) , THIS (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628733-virgin-media-phorm-webwise-adverts-updated.html) & THIS (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631495-stm-statement.html) are the reasons I am very seriously considering changing although I may just pay for the new BT line out of my own pocket and go with Be* for my internet.

The only reason I am still with Virgin is the convenience of always on cable broadband, the TV service is a secondary consideration and if I decide to change I'll change that as well for the simple fact that I want to pay as little as possible to Virgin.

m419
15-04-2008, 17:35
Well that happens with all providers to be honest,I mean BT got caught and they didn't even inform customers nor regulators about it before going ahead.

Also doesn't SKY sell on details about call usage like most of the mobile phone networks?

Also SKY are increasing there call costs:

0845 numbers: 6p per minute at all times
Daytime 01/02 number calls: 4p per minute
New connection charge: 7p for all connected calls to landlines and mobiles

Theres more too, just go to www.skyuser.co.uk (http://www.skyuser.co.uk) for more details

lardboy
15-04-2008, 22:08
What are you the Virginmedia defence squad?

All the points you've made are irrelevant to me because I have no interest in using BT broadband or sky phone & mobile.

m419
16-04-2008, 02:31
I was using BT as an example, all providers pass details onto 3rd parties and it wont be long until ALL providers start using facilities such as Phorm, its a way of generating revenue as providing broadband in this country is not very profitable. All the providers are disappearing. The main ones are:

BT,Be,SKY,Virgin and TalkTalk(OpalTelecom)

Then theres Cable and Wireless which sells directly to its business customers or to residential customers through third parties such as Tesco and the Post Office as well as Tiscali.

Tiscali and AOL days are over, TalkTalk has already acquired AOL UK renting the AOL brand from Time Warner and Tiscali are planning to sell up to TalkTalk.

There is a desperate need for cash and the easiest way of doing this is to enter into advertising facilities such as Phorm.

With regards to speed caping at peak periods, well as i've experience, all providers do this, they simply cannot afford it at busy times especially ADSL providers as you could see networks crashing!

lostandconfused
16-04-2008, 11:28
Answer to your question, yes you can just have to give 30 days notice.

Just a quesiton though, why are sky going to cover your BT installation cahrge if your going to have your BB with Be? I would be carefull as they may tie you into a 12 months contract for BB with them if they're paying the install.

lardboy
16-04-2008, 17:09
although I may just pay for the new BT line out of my own pocket and go with Be* for my internet.

If I went with sky for broadband they would cover the cost of the BT line if I went with Be* I would pay for it myself.

I expect I would be tied into a 12 month contract with Sky but if the service was too poor I would change it to the free version. :D

bluecandylover
17-04-2008, 14:53
If I went with sky for broadband they would cover the cost of the BT line if I went with Be* I would pay for it myself.

I expect I would be tied into a 12 month contract with Sky but if the service was too poor I would change it to the free version. :D

Just for the note I have a positive opinion on Sky - I recommend thier broadband BUT only if you can receieve good speed. I was on 4Mbps although it was reliable 4Mbps doesn't beat the speed I get on Virgin.

If you were to get a speed you were happy with on Sky - I recommend 100%.

BenMcr
18-04-2008, 00:14
I was using BT as an example, all providers pass details onto 3rd parties and it wont be long until ALL providers start using facilities such as Phorm, its a way of generating revenue as providing broadband in this country is not very profitable. All the providers are disappearing. The main ones are:

BT,Be,SKY,Virgin and TalkTalk(OpalTelecom)

If you are a new customer to Virgin you have to specifically OPT IN to allow your details used by either just Virgin Media or Virgin Media and Virgin Group.

Virgin Media do not sell details to 3rd parties (unlike ntl and telewest who did)

As for phorm, it isn't even official if it is even going to happen yet. Personally I hope it doesn't