PDA

View Full Version : Problems with internet...

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 05:21
Hi,
I am currently on the L package - Not sure if it has been upgraded or is in the process of being..

But every so often i lose my net connection, it only happens for a small amount of time, i mean i could live with it but that's not the point... lol

My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB4200.
And i am using Firefox 2.0.0.13 as my default browser.
I am also using Comodo Firewall Pro - in case that might have a affect.
I am also running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I am also wanting to get the wireless kit from Virgin, so i can connect up my laptop and gaming Consoles and if i am having minor problems with it on the pc then it wont be good when i do online gaming through the gaming consoles.

If you could shed some light onto this it would help.

Thanks MacmillaN

whydoIneedatech
15-04-2008, 08:10
Hi,
I am currently on the L package - Not sure if it has been upgraded or is in the process of being..

But every so often i lose my net connection, it only happens for a small amount of time, i mean i could live with it but that's not the point... lol

My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB4200.
And i am using Firefox 2.0.0.13 as my default browser.
I am also using Comodo Firewall Pro - in case that might have a affect.
I am also running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I am also wanting to get the wireless kit from Virgin, so i can connect up my laptop and gaming Consoles and if i am having minor problems with it on the pc then it wont be good when i do online gaming through the gaming consoles.

If you could shed some light onto this it would help.

Thanks MacmillaN

Open a webpage and type in the following address into the address bar :192.168.100.1 press enter and you will be in the config pages of your modem screenshot or copy the downstream and upstream power levels and post them here.

Also check that the Frequency is either 331000000 or 339000000

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 08:27
Downstream Value
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 3 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 22200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 52 dBmV

This all means nothing too me... :P

whydoIneedatech
15-04-2008, 08:37
Downstream Value
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 3 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 22200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 52 dBmV

This all means nothing too me... :P

Thanks for the quick reply.

The does not appear to be anything wrong with your modem it is running within its parameters, the power levels are fine and the frequency is ok but you could try changing it to 331000000 on the configuration page then click save changes and click restart modem, it might make a difference.

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 08:48
I have tried what you have suggested whydoIneedatech.

Thanks, i will comment back if it has solved my connection loss.

Another question, would you guys recommend shelling out £40 on the wireless kit from Virgin? or would you suggest elsewhere?

whydoIneedatech
15-04-2008, 08:58
I have tried what you have suggested whydoIneedatech.

Thanks, i will comment back if it has solved my connection loss.

Another question, would you guys recommend shelling out £40 on the wireless kit from Virgin? or would you suggest elsewhere?

That pays for Virgin to support your router as 3rd party routers are not supported.

Or try the link below for the D-Link 524 for £31.30 for instore pickup.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0149149451.120824634 4@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadedklmhlkfcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28361&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1&show_all=true

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 09:04
Ok,

Will need to think about what to do...

Thanks whydoIneedatech

whydoIneedatech
15-04-2008, 09:11
Ok,

Will need to think about what to do...

Thanks whydoIneedatech

I have put the correct link in for you above for the Cable routers

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 09:12
Thanks.. :)

Anything i will need to look out for when buying one?

whydoIneedatech
15-04-2008, 09:23
Thanks.. :)

Anything i will need to look out for when buying one?

If you look at that link they are all Cable compatible routers, it depends on the range and the amount of wireless items you want to connect.

I have the D-Link 524 and it has worked faultlessly since August last year, but the choice is yours.

MacmillaN
15-04-2008, 09:30
Ok thanks whydoIneedatech