PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Still A Good ISP - Ironically.

Messiah
14-04-2008, 18:14
After reading what Berk said - I felt the need to voice my thoughts and opinions on Virgins status as an ISP form my point of view. ...So signed up to the forum.

My thoughts are that they still offer the best product - and thats unlimited cable. (Clearly with the vile traffic management 'unlimited' is getting more and more contradictory - but still) Yet also due to me having a rock-solid 20mb connection 24/7 too. But again thats because of the technicalities of cable and not because Virgin Media or any other cable company pushes a certain button.

Theres one thing I don't like with NTL/Virgin Media and that is that as a cable company they emphasize 'upto' - which really annoys me due to the technicalities of cable bringing a rock-solid connection and speed a person pays for. I can only come to the natural conclusion that the only cable companies that state 'upto' in this world are ones that don't have a proper, sufficient cable infrustructure.

...So if my area benifits from the technicalities of cable so should every other part of this rich, prosperous nation as well.

Lets hope Virgin sort out the cable infrustructure for other people in this country and provide a truly unlimited package - its what cable can provide.

...Again supposedly only 3% of people are/were ''downloading too much'' and in any mathematics class doesn't create traffic issues for an ADSL network never mind a correctly working cable one! - quite the oppisite.

Lets hope they sort out the network for this country... and at least be abit like other countries known for their cable performance - they know who they are. ...And we're richer - ARGH.

Cheers.

Gary L
14-04-2008, 18:49
They owe a huge debt. they want to sell your privacy to a shady company. they want to take your money and steal the bandwidth back off you. they want to start charging companies to deliver their content to you their audience at faster speeds than that of the companies that don't pay.

A company that behave like this, and is constantly adaopting new ideas to save themselves having to supply the people that keeps them in business, is never going to suddenly change their ways.

Sirius
14-04-2008, 18:50
They owe a huge debt. they want to sell your privacy to a shady company. they want to take your money and steal the bandwidth back off you. they want to start charging companies to deliver their content to you their audience at faster speeds than that of the companies that don't pay.

A company that behave like this, and is constantly adaopting new ideas to save themselves having to supply the people that keeps them in business, is never going to suddenly change their ways.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Toto
14-04-2008, 19:06
Well, notwithstanding the current Phorm thread that the other posters are alluding too, I am sure it wasn't their intention to hijack this thread for what it is.

It's interesting to see a new poster have an open and honest view, nice of you to post and :welcome: to Cable Forum.

Morden
14-04-2008, 20:10
they want to start charging companies to deliver their content to you their audience at faster speeds than that of the companies that don't pay.

All ISP's not just in the UK but Globally are having problems with their networks being swamped with IP TV/U tube/Video Streaming of other types.

Its probably no coincedence that most employers now block the ports that these streams work on as a matter of course. Lunch breaks used to bring quite a lot of networks down to a snails pace if not almost break them.

The problem ISP's have with this is that to handle the steaming requires A GLOBAL UPGRADE TO THE INTERNET.
Now the companies that generate this traffic probably want to try to avoid this, but the ISP's want them to pay for these upgrades.

This will become more of a problem in the coming years and if it reaches stalemate, I would not be suprised if ISP's do what private companies already do with their networks or alternatively ask users to pay more if they want to download this type of traffic. There is no such thing as a free lunch and someone will have to pay for this.

But I agree my experience with Telewst then virgin is of having a stable fast most of the time broadband connection and I would not consider adsl, especialy in my area as it is a ligfhting fast 2 -3 meg.

whydoIneedatech
14-04-2008, 23:14
I have been a customer of what is now called Virgin media since the Cable Northwest days, and have never had a major problem with any of my services, I am taking about 12 years plus here.

I had more problems with Sky in the 3 months I was with them, 3 replacement boxes, a 10 day wait for a Tech and phantom dialling, it was taken out because they could not provide a service and therefore they broke the terms of my contract.

Plus after 12 months they want to charge for a Tech visit or you pay a insurance to cover it.

Techs are free with Virgin media.