PDA

View Full Version : I need a new modem?

vmuser027
14-04-2008, 15:31
I posted on the newsgroups to ask the status of a ticket that should have been present on my UBR for pending upgrades

The tech stated that I was on a UBR in Sandwell when im actually on a UBR in Dudley, saying that I could possibly have been moved due to upgrades.

I thought that this couldnt be right so I queried him again, and he has now said that he has located me properly but I need a new modem because the modem I currently have 'needs to be removed' from their network

Here is the exact quote:

The current modem that you have needs to be removed from our network. As for
the replacement modem you will receive, it may well be the same model, but
this one will function correctly.

Has anyone heard of this before? I just wanted a bit more of an explanation as to why my modem needs changing as it is working fine for me!

Thanks
:D

Noggo
14-04-2008, 16:40
You can check to see what UBR you're connected to above, in the dark blue header bar `Connection' (once you're logged in, that is)

As for the modem,
It may be that you're modem isn't compatible with you're Broadband package. Are you on XL 20M? some of the older modems aren't compatible or if you're on 4Meg, which is soon to be 10Meg, your modem may not be compatible with that service.

If it is the same type VM send out, it may well be a different hardware version (guessing). Just wait to see what turns up, then go from there.

vmuser027
14-04-2008, 17:27
Hi,

I have the SA 2100 which I was actually sent for the 20Mb upgrade, so no probs there!

The connection tab does say ubr03.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk (which I have always been on) so why were they linking me to Sandwell?

So that makes me wonder even more? Why do they want it off the network :s

Noggo
14-04-2008, 18:45
May be they have run you a special cable via Tividale and then up the M5. :)

May be there's a fault with your modem or VM didn't updated their records when they sent you the Webstar out, so they have you listed as having a incompatible modem. You could always ask on newsgroup support.

Laters,

vmuser027
14-04-2008, 19:23
Yeah I could, didnt think they would tell me much though so i thought i might ask here because someone might know!!

Thanks anyway!!

chaders
14-04-2008, 21:50
there are 3 networks on vm knowsley , bromley and langley .
depending which machine your on makes a difference cos a modem on the bromley network wont work on the knowsley network .

vmuser027
14-04-2008, 21:56
Cloned!

whydoIneedatech
14-04-2008, 22:53
there are 3 networks on vm knowsley , bromley and langley .
depending which machine your on makes a difference cos a modem on the bromley network wont work on the knowsley network .

They are actually only 2 networks, Knowsley is EX-Telewest and Langley and Bromley are EX-NTL, but by the middle of the year they will be classed as one network.

The Modem above is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar EPC2100 which is an EX-Telewest modem on the Knowsley Headend.

ceedee
15-04-2008, 03:44
Cloned!

That's the first thing that popped into my suspicious mind.
Did you get that confirmed by TS?

techyguy4
15-04-2008, 07:05
I dont think that a replacement modem is required for getting the other one off the network and that too when its the issue related to ubr. Modems working on ex-ntl platform can be removed and readded to sort out the ubr issues. But the ex-telewest platform modems are activated through the billing systems.So there is no chance that the modem can work on a wrong ubr.