PDA

View Full Version : Adsl Download connection levels.

smeagoly1
14-04-2008, 10:52
Hi all
Not a oh my download is bad thread, but something i noticed in download levels set on the modem.

I started the Virgin upto 8meg ADSL service 4 weeks ago in my new appartment. I always knew 8 meg was going to be a dream and would never reach that level...so would be happy with upto 5..

Trouble was the downstream levels from BT are set between 2300kbps and 2700kbps. This is even though their site said my adsl MAX exchange and line is cable of a steady 5meg plus. 1200M from the exchange btw, so i never expected uber download speeds.

The problem lies in that on friday 11th checking my Netgear "supplied by Virgin" modem router status page, it suddenly showed 7300kbs... I was one mega happy surprised bunny, as you can imagine. Then 4 hours later after my modem had been switched off, back to 2400kbs.
So how come if it was set ay 7000kbs plus on a peak time, roughly 8:30 in the evening, when 24/7 for 4 weeks is it is set at no more than 2400kbs? and now, even checked at 03:00 in the morning. Still average 2400kbs

I would not complain if the levels had not jumped up so much and shown me what was capable through the line. BTW the pings so low I could COD4 online with no lag, and download test from Blueyonder gamefiles did show almost 7meg download, in peak time.

Any suggestions, was this a flook or has it shown me what the line is capable of and why isn't it constantly set higher?

Sorry if this is a long post, but it's vexing me now.
Regards
Smee

danielf
14-04-2008, 11:08
You say you switched the modem off. Do you do this often? If you do it may look like your line looses the connection often, and you'd get put on a low profile.

Also, it might help if you could post your line stats (attenuation, SNR). These are available from your router status page.

smeagoly1
14-04-2008, 11:25
Hi thanks for the quick reply.
Yes the modem does get switched off every night. So yeah this could be a possibility as on friday I think the modem had been on for 4-6 hours before i noticed the levels.

Modem stats are :
Downstream Line attenuation 29db Upstream 6.5db
Noise Margin Downdtream 6db Upstream 11db

Current line speed set at 2432kbs.

Regards
smee

danielf
14-04-2008, 11:39
Hi thanks for the quick reply.
Yes the modem does get switched off every night. So yeah this could be a possibility as on friday I think the modem had been on for 4-6 hours before i noticed the levels.

Modem stats are :
Downstream Line attenuation 29db Upstream 6.5db
Noise Margin Downdtream 6db Upstream 11db

Current line speed set at 2432kbs.

Regards
smee

That downstream attenuation looks quite high, so your line may not support very high speeds. I'd try leaving the modem on overnight. If your line is capable of higher speeds your profile should be updated, but this might take a couple of days.

smeagoly1
14-04-2008, 11:52
Much appreciated danielf :)