PDA

View Full Version : Phone not ringing

seanyseansean
14-04-2008, 10:19
Me with another Telewest problem :)

My girlfriend has Telewest phone, tv and bb. Sometimes people claim they've rung her landline but it never rang. I always discounted this till yesterday, I rang from work twice - both times it rang 6 times then went to voicemail.

So I MSNed her instead, and she swears the whole family were watching a film, the phone had been off (and not used for at least an hour). The phone was not off the hook - it's a DECT phone that automatically cuts out after 10 mins of non use anyway.

Is this a problem people have heard about before, or is it just Virgin managing phone traffic in a similar fashion to their broadband? :)

Sean

MovedGoalPosts
14-04-2008, 10:57
You need to rule out that the phone itself isn't causing a problem. Is there an old standard wired type lying around that could be tried temporarily? Does it make any difference if extensions are unplugged and the phone is connected only to the master socket? Remember too, that too many phones plugged in means inadequate power for the ringer.

seanyseansean
14-04-2008, 11:14
You need to rule out that the phone itself isn't causing a problem. Is there an old standard wired type lying around that could be tried temporarily? Does it make any difference if extensions are unplugged and the phone is connected only to the master socket? Remember too, that too many phones plugged in means inadequate power for the ringer.

There is only one phone plugged in, I will try the old skool phone later, thanks!

RUSTY
14-04-2008, 14:27
had this problem twice in a year, each time quickly fixed in the local green box.

m419
14-04-2008, 17:58
Theres some very funny things happening lately! It just sounds like dodgy wiring somewhere.

I had a similar issue when I had two lines in the same property, one for dial up internet and one for basic telephone use,the days before broadband was around. When we redecorated a lot of wiring got pulled out and tried to fix all the wiring back together incl the junction box within the flat, I didn't realise i had joined the two lines together, so when people phoned me, they heard a dial tone and alot of crackling on the line when i answered lol I felt a right plonker when the engineer came round! And still had the £75 fee in the end lol

chaders
15-04-2008, 00:00
maybe the capacitor in the master socket

Kellargh
18-04-2008, 16:53
Intermittent NDT, quite a common fault we get - normally due to wiring issues. A tech would fix it...test a normal corded phone, and if it's still the same call in!

PS1
18-04-2008, 23:43
intermittent ndt?, how do you know this guy has dial tone or not? that would be where id start. if the phone is dead when he picks it up then yes, the line is dis somewhere, if not and he has dial tone but no incomming calls then that s a different matter all together isnt it.

AntiSilence
19-04-2008, 00:55
"phone not ringing"

Maybe nobody is phoning :D LOL :jk: