PDA

View Full Version : Block Numbers

maximike
13-04-2008, 16:43
WE have recently been getting phone calls of harrassment constantly and tehy are blocking our phone line from other calls cos tehy are ringing soo much, if i contact Virgin Media will they be able to block it?

Kymmy
13-04-2008, 17:12
Are they spam calls or are they actually anonymous harrasment calls??

Normal procedure is to report harrasment calls to the police...they can then arrange with the service provider to track the calls (even if they seem anonymous to you). Also once you have a police report then the service provider will let you change your number free of charge. Some service providers will allow you to block anonymous calls as standard but you;d have to ask VM about that. Either way a police log number goes a long way into getting action.

If they're spam calls then try the Telephone Preference service (link in the help section of VM's webiste...) you can register you phone number with them and it will reduce the spam calls by as much as 75%+ after a few months..

Kymmy

BenMcr
13-04-2008, 18:13
Virgin have an Anonymous Caller Rejection service, for £2.50 per month, that will stop UK originating calls where the caller has specifically witheld their number

kryogenik
13-04-2008, 18:34
Virgin have an Anonymous Caller Rejection service, for £2.50 per month, that will stop UK originating calls where the caller has specifically witheld their number

Free in Ex C&W areas, activated by dialling *227# and de-activated by dialling #227#

Hardly a complete solution though as many systems hide their outgoing numbers by default.
I'd love to have this on all the time due to cold callers (even with a new number VM allocated to me a few weeks ago..) but the likes of the building society/solicitors/doctors surgery etc can't get through to us.
:(

Graham M
13-04-2008, 18:37
Tell them to add 1470 before your number in their phone directories :)

BenMcr
13-04-2008, 18:39
Free in Ex C&W areas, activated by dialling *227# and de-activated by dialling [B]#227#

Not for recent customers it isn't. C&W used to put it unactivated on the line.

Virgin don't do that. It is only activated if you ask for it

kryogenik
13-04-2008, 18:47
Tell them to add 1470 before your number in their phone directories :)

Not a bad idea at all Zeph.
:)

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Not for recent customers it isn't.

In the same vein, it's not for £2.50 per month for exisiting customers [in ex C&W areas].

Octal
13-04-2008, 18:48
I'm not so sure you can add 1470 if you are on an extension on a PBX can you?

BenMcr
13-04-2008, 18:58
In the same vein, it's not for £2.50 per month for exisiting customers [in ex C&W areas].

If you are an existing customer, but joined in the last couple of years, then yes it will be £2.50

kryogenik
13-04-2008, 19:18
If you are an existing customer, but joined in the last couple of years, then yes it will be £2.50

If so, that must be either area specific or desultory as my cousin doesn't get billed for it either - he joined in August of last year, ex C&W area ('round the corner).