PDA

View Full Version : I can only get part way through anything I download!

thatoldchestnut
13-04-2008, 12:03
Hello, first time poster here. I've done a quick search but couldn't find this specific problem, but apologies if it's been covered before.

We had Virgin Broadband installed here by the engineers on Friday, and ever since, I have only been able to get about 5% of any file I try to download, at which point it stops receiving it completely. Websites and things will still load at this time at a decent speed, and I can still check emails, but the file itself just sticks on about 5%. Even a YouTube video, if it lasts for more than a few minutes, will stop downloading part of the way through. I find that I have to fast-forward the video a little, at which point it downloads another little bit and then, once more, stops. This is obviously not ideal.

Anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do about it? It's not how this 'throttling' I'm reading about manifests itself, is it? I thought it just slowed down, as opposed to stopping altogether!

As to my particulars: I'm living in South Manchester with a Warrington (WA) postcode, I'm not an ex-ntl/telewest customer, and I can't really tell what kind of modem it is. It's got the Virgin Media logo on the front of it, and is black with a couple of model numbers on its base. I'm using a Belkin Wireless G router (2.4Ghz-802.11g). I'd tell you what Wireless adapter I'm using but I've tried a couple of different ones and the problem remains. Never had this problem before on my last ISP, which was OneTel or whatever the dickens they call themselves these days.

Any help you give me will probably result in me putting you in my will or something, I'm going mad without YouTube.

Thanks!

MovedGoalPosts
13-04-2008, 12:39
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I'm wondering if this is something on your PC that could be causing a problem. Websites and similar browsing only has small files to move and may be a little burst that isn't overtaxing something whereas the larger sustained files could be causing things like network cards, or antivirus to trip out?

When you swapped to Virgin, did you have any specific software installed before for your old internet, maybe a dial up connection or similar. Did you try overwriting this with any Virgin Media stuff. Could these have confused a setting?

thatoldchestnut
13-04-2008, 12:58
Hey, thanks very much for replying.

The reason I doubt it's a problem with my PC is that I've tried downloading things on another PC we've got here, and the same thing happens (we all access the internet through that Belkin router). I didn't install anything to use our last ISP either, I connected to that through the router as well.

My Dad's old business used Virgin Media, seemingly with few problems, but since he's sold the premises it's become a home business, so we had Virgin installed here. So basically there was no need to install anything new on our computers with the set up discs, we just got the engineers do the necessary, and then put the right network key in using Window's wireless network thingy, and away we went. Or not, as the case may be.

I mean unless it's the router that's the problem. To be honest though, the router has always been fine before, and given the number of problems people seem to have with Virgin, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the fault lay with them.

MovedGoalPosts
13-04-2008, 13:07
Try without the router i.e. one PC connected direct to the modem. Is the fault repeated then? Does the Belkin router have the latest firmware?

bigdavep
13-04-2008, 14:10
I had exactly the same problem. I fixed it by getting a new router.

Before you spend any money though make sure you have the latest firmware on it..Is the router also suitable for cable connections???

As Rob says if you connect directly to the modem and the downlodads work fine then you'll lknow for sure..

MovedGoalPosts
13-04-2008, 14:16
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/belkin.php

Don't know if that is your router model?

cleshe
13-04-2008, 14:22
Hello, first time poster here. I've done a quick search but couldn't find this specific problem, but apologies if it's been covered before.

We had Virgin Broadband installed here by the engineers on Friday, and ever since, I have only been able to get about 5% of any file I try to download, at which point it stops receiving it completely. Websites and things will still load at this time at a decent speed, and I can still check emails, but the file itself just sticks on about 5%. Even a YouTube video, if it lasts for more than a few minutes, will stop downloading part of the way through. I find that I have to fast-forward the video a little, at which point it downloads another little bit and then, once more, stops. This is obviously not ideal.

Anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do about it? It's not how this 'throttling' I'm reading about manifests itself, is it? I thought it just slowed down, as opposed to stopping altogether!

As to my particulars: I'm living in South Manchester with a Warrington (WA) postcode, I'm not an ex-ntl/telewest customer, and I can't really tell what kind of modem it is. It's got the Virgin Media logo on the front of it, and is black with a couple of model numbers on its base. I'm using a Belkin Wireless G router (2.4Ghz-802.11g). I'd tell you what Wireless adapter I'm using but I've tried a couple of different ones and the problem remains. Never had this problem before on my last ISP, which was OneTel or whatever the dickens they call themselves these days.

Any help you give me will probably result in me putting you in my will or something, I'm going mad without YouTube.

Thanks!

If it's the same router you had for Onetel , it's useless for cable.In which case I'm surprised you are getting anything.As someone else said, connect one pc to the modem and see if you have the same problem.

thatoldchestnut
13-04-2008, 14:42
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I've done the firmware update as suggested, and it would *appear* to be working fine now.

Rob: That is indeed my router model. Hopefully that means everything is fixed!

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.