PDA

View Full Version : Not again.. Xbox Live this time, Cambridge

system11
11-04-2008, 18:31
Is anyone else in Cambridge finding Xbox Live isn't working anymore? I can get to some Microsoft websites and not others (for example www works, but billing.microsoft.com and forums.xbox.com are dead).

I called support and they can trace the IPs all the way into the msn network, but the problem IPs for me only trace as far as the first Cambridge router, while others go through that same one just fine. I'm told that it must be a problem at Microsofts end, which is clearly UTTER RUBBISH given that I'm getting very different results to tech support.... When I pointed this out they suggested I try again in a few hours.

It's been dead since lunchtime at least.

byron_hinson
11-04-2008, 18:39
Is anyone else in Cambridge finding Xbox Live isn't working anymore? I can get to some Microsoft websites and not others (for example www works, but billing.microsoft.com and forums.xbox.com are dead).

I called support and they can trace the IPs all the way into the msn network, but the problem IPs for me only trace as far as the first Cambridge router, while others go through that same one just fine. I'm told that it must be a problem at Microsofts end, which is clearly UTTER RUBBISH given that I'm getting very different results to tech support.... When I pointed this out they suggested I try again in a few hours.

It's been dead since lunchtime at least.

Well if it helps I'm in St Ives PE27 and got problems with MSN, AOL, .Mac as you say certain Microsoft sites won't open either. I haven't tried Xbox Live but I'll guess that'll be the same.

system11
11-04-2008, 18:40
Have you tried calling them yet? I'd imagine they won't bother looking at it until a number of people have complained.

byron_hinson
11-04-2008, 18:49
Have you tried calling them yet? I'd imagine they won't bother looking at it until a number of people have complained.

Not yet - only just got in from work - Had the iChat problem start last night. Will call them in a bit.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

It's the proxy problems again:

Try glfd-cache-3.server.ntli.net at port 8080 and see if that works for you for the MS sites. Then give them another call.

system11
11-04-2008, 18:59
Yes, using that proxy I can reach websites. Unfortunately it doesn't help with the Live or PSN network connections which are both failing it seems.

I really hate problems like this - it's impossible to get hold of someone who actually grasps the problem. I'll forget any hopes I had of playing online games this weekend, I can see it dragging along at least that long before someone just power cycles the local routers..

Local Rate
11-04-2008, 20:42
Last couple of days the xbox.com and forums.xbox..com have both been really hit and miss - more miss at some times of the day. I put it down to overconnections to the site as I also couldn't get to digg.com at the same time.

Don't know about xbox live though as I didn't try and access that when I couldn't get the site...

I'm in Swansea btw.

edit - checked xbox.com now and it's not there. Seems to be when it gets busy, so may be a site problem rather than a browsing problem

system11
11-04-2008, 20:53
No, definitely an NTL fault. Xbox Live is dead, PSN is dead, Xbox forums are dead, MS billing is dead, but other stuff works fine. On top of that the NTL support people could trace to the servers I can't, and I've tested it from another ISP and everything is fine.

Local Rate
11-04-2008, 21:08
It's working for me now. Set my connection in Firefox to "direct connection to the internet" rather than autodetect proxy. May have made a difference, or maybe not...

Fascia
11-04-2008, 22:24
I'm having very similar problems, I can't access www.xbox.com, nor www.sony.com, although www.sony.co.uk works fine. Likewise I can't access the sony store, login to SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) or access their website and forums. Other people are accessing those sites fine.

Local Rate
12-04-2008, 01:10
.....and down again. Just as I was Rick Rolling the CoD4 forum! >(

digg.com
xbox.com
sony.com

all PCBD

Fascia
12-04-2008, 01:53
.....and down again. Just as I was Rick Rolling the CoD4 forum! >(

digg.com
xbox.com
sony.com

all PCBD

Exactly the same set of sites is down, what area of england are you in?

system11
12-04-2008, 01:59
The main xbox.com and sony.com are working for me (in CB4), but digg.com is dead here too.

You know, all these sites affected are on the akamai network. Of course, normally I'd blame akamai, but it's only VM people with a problem, in certain areas.

Local Rate
12-04-2008, 11:05
Just logged on. Browsed three pages of xbox.com before it disappeared.
As before, checked and digg.com, sony.com are also PCBD.

I'm in Swansea so this is not an England only problem.

Jawa126
14-04-2008, 21:09
This has been happening to me to everyday since 10th April. Every hour or so there's no xbox.com, sony.com or xbox live. I'm in Swansea too.

Local Rate
15-04-2008, 09:13
Same situation here. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it either. I thought it was just at busy times of the day, but it is intermittent all day.