PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Swords Banned?

Raistlin
10-04-2008, 09:55
When did this happen:

***Policy on sale of samurai swords***

02 April, 2008 | 12:52PM BST

The UK Government recently decided to ban the sale, manufacture, hire and import of samurai swords. While there are some exceptions to this general ban, we don’t think it’s practical to enforce a policy based on these.

The sale of samurai swords on eBay.co.uk will therefore be completely prohibited when the new law comes into effect on 6th April.

Regards,

The eBay Team(Quote taken from eBay's news page)

I don't recall seeing the Government announce a ban on 'selling, manufacturing, hiring, or importing, samurai swords'.....

Anybody shed any light on this?

Graham M
10-04-2008, 09:57
I heard about it but didn't really pay any attention to it as I didn't intend to buy one lol

Derek
10-04-2008, 12:45
About the end of the last year it was announced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7139724.stm

Although I don't think the ban applies in Scotland or Northern Ireland yet and unless they start examining parcels sent within the UK there are more loopholes in the plan than the last bit of knee-jerk government plans.
Besides most of the swords you can buy are such poor quality you can inflict far greater harm using a largish kitchen knife and unless the government wants to start licensing the sale of them....

Jules
10-04-2008, 12:52
I had heared about it as well but didn't take a lot of notice

Xaccers
10-04-2008, 13:00
We had this last year with realistic imitation firearms.
Thankfully we managed to get a defence against the offences of importing, manufacture and sale, so those with a legitimate purpose can continue.

Welcome to the world of tabloid politics.

joglynne
10-04-2008, 18:13
As far as Samurai Swords are concerned the powers that be have accepted that a blanket ban was not needed and ..., the law will include exemptions for rare, genuine Japanese swords valued by collectors, and also for the kinds of swords often used in martial arts. so at least it shows they learnt something from the attempt of a total ban of realistic imitation firearms.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/banning-swordsv

Tezcatlipoca
10-04-2008, 21:33
It's not just "Samurai swords" that have been banned from sale etc., it's all curved swords of 50cm or more in length, not just Katanas.

Although that means that, at the moment, it is still perfectly legal to buy straight swords (e.g. "broadswords", "Ninja swords", etc.). However the Home Office is apparently considering extending the ban to all swords in October.

An anti-ban Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8032874663

FAQ:

http://www.akct.org/page29.html

We had this last year with realistic imitation firearms.
Thankfully we managed to get a defence against the offences of importing, manufacture and sale, so those with a legitimate purpose can continue.

Welcome to the world of tabloid politics.

Yep, more knee-jerk nonsense from our Glorious Leaders.

As far as Samurai Swords are concerned the powers that be have accepted that a blanket ban was not needed and so at least it shows they learnt something from the attempt of a total ban of realistic imitation firearms.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/banning-swordsv

I don't think they've learnt anything.

The problem with "genuine Japanese swords valued by collectors" is that they are extremely expensive.

Many collectors happily collect - or used to 'till now - good quality replicas (e.g. Paul Chen swords). And not just "Samurai" swords, but also other Japanese swords, Chinese swords, British & European swords, movie replica swords (LOTR, Highlander, Blade, etc.), etc.

But now, if you want to buy a "Samurai" sword (& most likely soon *any* sword), you have to either buy a really expensive genuine one, or e.g. be a member of a martial arts club which uses swords & has public liability insurance.

Ramrod
10-04-2008, 21:39
I have a couple of 'live' Paul Chen Chinese swords for tai chi.
.........Glad they haven't been banned :erm::D

WHISTLED
10-04-2008, 21:52
Thankfully we managed to get a defence against the offences of importing, manufacture and sale, so those with a legitimate purpose can continue 'We havent grown up yet your honour!'

papa smurf
10-04-2008, 22:02
I have a couple of 'live' Paul Chen Chinese swords for tai chi.
.........Glad they haven't been banned :erm::D

i practice an ancient viking art all you need is a big chopper.....[er axe];)

The Hitman
10-04-2008, 22:37
:(Novelity lighters have been banned as well

Xaccers
11-04-2008, 00:16
'We havent grown up yet your honour!'

Have you not?

Maggy
11-04-2008, 00:25
Eventually every interest and hobby will be banned because of either health and safety or because some moron will have used something from some hobby to kill or it's considered cruel or it's something some toff enjoys doing.

After all you should see the damage I can inflict with a pencil..:rolleyes:

danielf
11-04-2008, 00:31
I agree that the ban is silly, but what exactly is the appeal of collecting replica swords?

(Personally I'm uncomfortable with the small axe I have in the shed for chopping up fire wood)

Xaccers
11-04-2008, 01:30
I agree that the ban is silly, but what exactly is the appeal of collecting replica swords?

(Personally I'm uncomfortable with the small axe I have in the shed for chopping up fire wood)

It's all down to the individual.
One might as well ask what's the appeal to collecting stamps?

Maggy
11-04-2008, 01:51
I'm just hating the idea that the minute someone uses an item for violence that the rest of us who don't use the item for any such purpose get penalised by having it banned outright.It doesn't stop people using things for nefarious purposes it just stops innocent people from using something in a legitimate manner.

For example I have a small craft knife for sharpening pencils because I find pencil sharpeners are useless for getting a nice long point for shading.IF I carry this knife in my drawing kit or pencil case and I get stopped by the police I could technically be done for carrying an offensive weapon even though the blade is only 2 inches long and I'd never use it for any violent act.:(

Xaccers
11-04-2008, 12:30
I'm just hating the idea that the minute someone uses an item for violence that the rest of us who don't use the item for any such purpose get penalised by having it banned outright.

Would that work with mothers in law? :)

Derek
11-04-2008, 12:53
For example I have a small craft knife for sharpening pencils because I find pencil sharpeners are useless for getting a nice long point for shading.IF I carry this knife in my drawing kit or pencil case and I get stopped by the police I could technically be done for carrying an offensive weapon even though the blade is only 2 inches long and I'd never use it for any violent act.:(

Not sure about the English law but in Scotland its an offence to have a bladed or sharply pointed article in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse .

You'd have to be really, really unlucky (or be stopped by the worst cop in the world) in order to be done for having a craft knife in those circumstances and even the most incompetent defence lawyer would get you off with it.

Maggy
11-04-2008, 14:11
Would that work with mothers in law? :)

A)I love my 93 year old Ma-in-law.She replaced the mother I lost in 76.She a good mate.

B)You cannot use a human being as an offensive weapon and to try and do so would be illegal.If you ever do it I hope they throw the book at you...

C)Stop stereotyping mother-in-laws.They have a tough time having to deal with some snot nosed youngster telling them what's good for their curly haired one time baby.:p:

D)Why don't father-in-laws get a bad rep too?Some I've met have been horrible.Like my sister's for one.:(

Xaccers
11-04-2008, 14:15
A)I love my 93 year old Ma-in-law.She replaced the mother I lost in 76.She a good mate.

Very glad to hear it.

B)You cannot use a human being as an offensive weapon and to try and do so would be illegal.If you ever do it I hope they throw the book at you...

So using a human as an offensive weapon is illegal, but using a book as one is ok? :D

C)Stop stereotyping mother-in-laws.They have a tough time having to deal with some snot nosed youngster telling them what's good for their curly haired one time baby.:p:

If they don't like it, they shouldn't have let their little soldier get married :D

D)Why don't father-in-laws get a bad rep too?Some I've met have been horrible.Like my sister's for one.:(

Because they're men. Daft I know.
Who ever has the misfortune of marrying me will have my eternal sympathy for who their father in law is.