PDA

View Full Version : At wit's end with Virgin this week, can you help?

funkster99
09-04-2008, 21:17
Since Sunday this week I've suddenly been experiencing extremely slow speeds with Virgin Cable Broadband. At times it has been impossible to get email or connect easily or at all to most web pages. With many, there is a long delay before they start to load, then they usually take 20 to 30 secs or up to several minutes to completely load, or “get stuck” and ultimately do not load properly with all graphics, and have errors and time-outs etc. It has therefore been impossible to use interactive sites, such as personal banking etc.

I have used speed-tests, and found that the download speed currently varies between 1078 to 2045 kb/s. I realize the upper figure is what I should expect (I am only on 2mb) , but I noticed that this speed is not consistent, with intervals of several seconds, or even a complete stall, happening as the download test was in progress.

However, more seriously, the upload speed is now consistently between 12 to 47 kb/s, which is not even dial-up speed, whereas it used to be 242 kb/s. I therefore cannot connect to ftp sites properly and maintain my website, and I believe this is also affecting web-page access. The problem has improved slightly over the last four days but is still not good.

My first experience with Virgin (as opposed to Telewest) tech support with regard to this has been a nothing short of a disaster. I have waited in for two engineers, both cancelled without notice. I have been in contact with the Virgin 150 "thinking of cancelling” dept, but have received conflicting responses: either that the engineers were cancelled because the problem was in fact a national network problem and therefore they were mistakenly booked, or that the cancellations were a mistake. The last fruitless conversation I had today with a pretty unsympathetic call-centre person was that there was no record of the second booking (by a manager who had called me), that the problem was to do with the network so there was no point in booking and engineer and I should re-call the 25p line again to find out the current situation (5 days after reporting). I can see no such mention of a network problem on Virgin media website. So I feel like I am going round in circles and should switch provider. Virgin tech-support and admin seems to me completely chaotic.

I have not been able to speak to any one who is interested in the details of the problem. However, I have taken steps such as connecting directly to modem and re-starting and running virus and anti spy-ware software. I am on a Mac and have a SB4100 modem. Modem looks to be functioning OK (LEDS OK) and, on checking configuration manager, the only thing I can notice is that upstream power level may be low. Details read as follows:

Downstream Value
Frequency: 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise: Ratio 39 dB
Power Level: 8 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID: 3
Frequency: 34000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level: 26 dBmV

Can anyone throw light on this and possibly save me the hassle of switching to another provider, which is now on my mind.

homealone
09-04-2008, 22:31
hi :welcome:

I'm not familiar with SB4100 modems, but the upstream power level does seem low - on ex NTL networks that would suggest the modem isn't having to 'shout' to be heard on the network, but I'm not sure regarding ex Telewest , anyone ???

whydoIneedatech
10-04-2008, 00:03
Since Sunday this week I've suddenly been experiencing extremely slow speeds with Virgin Cable Broadband. At times it has been impossible to get email or connect easily or at all to most web pages. With many, there is a long delay before they start to load, then they usually take 20 to 30 secs or up to several minutes to completely load, or “get stuck” and ultimately do not load properly with all graphics, and have errors and time-outs etc. It has therefore been impossible to use interactive sites, such as personal banking etc.

I have used speed-tests, and found that the download speed currently varies between 1078 to 2045 kb/s. I realize the upper figure is what I should expect (I am only on 2mb) , but I noticed that this speed is not consistent, with intervals of several seconds, or even a complete stall, happening as the download test was in progress.

However, more seriously, the upload speed is now consistently between 12 to 47 kb/s, which is not even dial-up speed, whereas it used to be 242 kb/s. I therefore cannot connect to ftp sites properly and maintain my website, and I believe this is also affecting web-page access. The problem has improved slightly over the last four days but is still not good.

My first experience with Virgin (as opposed to Telewest) tech support with regard to this has been a nothing short of a disaster. I have waited in for two engineers, both cancelled without notice. I have been in contact with the Virgin 150 "thinking of cancelling” dept, but have received conflicting responses: either that the engineers were cancelled because the problem was in fact a national network problem and therefore they were mistakenly booked, or that the cancellations were a mistake. The last fruitless conversation I had today with a pretty unsympathetic call-centre person was that there was no record of the second booking (by a manager who had called me), that the problem was to do with the network so there was no point in booking and engineer and I should re-call the 25p line again to find out the current situation (5 days after reporting). I can see no such mention of a network problem on Virgin media website. So I feel like I am going round in circles and should switch provider. Virgin tech-support and admin seems to me completely chaotic.

I have not been able to speak to any one who is interested in the details of the problem. However, I have taken steps such as connecting directly to modem and re-starting and running virus and anti spy-ware software. I am on a Mac and have a SB4100 modem. Modem looks to be functioning OK (LEDS OK) and, on checking configuration manager, the only thing I can notice is that upstream power level may be low. Details read as follows:

Downstream Value
Frequency: 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise: Ratio 39 dB
Power Level: 8 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID: 3
Frequency: 34000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level: 26 dBmV

Can anyone throw light on this and possibly save me the hassle of switching to another provider, which is now on my mind.

Upstream power level should be above 34 dbmv.

So you need to ring up Technical support again or just go straight to the cancellation dept and explain to them that you are suffering from intermittent drop off on the modem. Tell them you can be online one minute then suddenly the webpage you are looking at freezes, when you look at the modem the online light or the equivalent light on your modem has gone off, when you unplug the modem and plug it back in it all comes back online, maybe for a few hours or just a few minutes.

Tell them you are not happy with this level of service and if not sorted out soon you will be ringing up to get disconnected.

Do not shout, raise your voice or swear!

Try to sound calm but frustrated with the level of service and ask what number you need to call for disconnections. If you have decided to call cancellations instead amend this part accordingly.

The more convincing you sound the more likely you are to get a Tech coming out with a modem, or one in the post.

If it does not work on the premium rate number then ring 150 and talk about disconnection, they should sort it out then as they like to keep hold of customers.

funkster99
10-04-2008, 00:25
Thanks for your advice, I would welcome more. Right now I am wondering why I am paying £34 a month (I have been a customer for ten years or more) and having to beg and pay more for a minimal level of service when there seem to be better deals around, except it is a hassle to change.

chickendippers
10-04-2008, 00:40
Post your signal levels on the broadband support newsgroup (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/). As soon as they see they're wrong they will arrange for an engineer to call.

I have had nothing but top service from the Newsgroups.

Joxer
10-04-2008, 01:40
Umm, upstream power leve should be above 29dbmv not 34. You stil need a tech anyway but just for anyone else reading this thread.

funkster99
10-04-2008, 08:25
I am mystified..... just now after four days of complete frustration about this matter my connection seems to have gone back to normal. Speed test took 20 seconds rather than 5 minutes or so with many stalls, and results just now are 2052 download, 243 upload.

So it was obviously a network problem, although my modem is still reading Upstream power level 25 dbMV, which I am told is too low.

But in this case why was nothing mentioned on the Virgin Service Status page, which might have saved a week of confusion and frustration? I have never experienced this kind of thing with such a complete lack of information over such an extended period in ten years previously with Telewest/Blueyonder.

Another query is that I tried going on Virgin newsgroups by clicking on the link recommended by chickendippers but went to a page about setting this up which assumes only PC users use Virgin media and says you require Outlook Express. I tried on my own mac newsreader, however, using the previously stored setting of news.blueyonder.co.uk which is also stated in the current Virgin instructions, but server is unavailable. Are these settings not valid now?

This is my first tussle with Virgin Media since it changed from Blueyonder, and it has been a highly unpleasant experience. They seem completely inefficient with little concept of customer care or communication. There was little point in contacting either their technical support or call-centre, which is why I have had to resort to writing here.

I am still thinking of switching service as I wonder if this kind of thing will reoccur. Should I still follow up the issue of too-low Upstream power level?

whydoIneedatech
10-04-2008, 10:17
I am mystified..... just now after four days of complete frustration about this matter my connection seems to have gone back to normal. Speed test took 20 seconds rather than 5 minutes or so with many stalls, and results just now are 2052 download, 243 upload.

So it was obviously a network problem, although my modem is still reading Upstream power level 25 dbMV, which I am told is too low.

But in this case why was nothing mentioned on the Virgin Service Status page, which might have saved a week of confusion and frustration? I have never experienced this kind of thing with such a complete lack of information over such an extended period in ten years previously with Telewest/Blueyonder.

Another query is that I tried going on Virgin newsgroups by clicking on the link recommended by chickendippers but went to a page about setting this up which assumes only PC users use Virgin media and says you require Outlook Express. I tried on my own mac newsreader, however, using the previously stored setting of news.blueyonder.co.uk which is also stated in the current Virgin instructions, but server is unavailable. Are these settings not valid now?

This is my first tussle with Virgin Media since it changed from Blueyonder, and it has been a highly unpleasant experience. They seem completely inefficient with little concept of customer care or communication. There was little point in contacting either their technical support or call-centre, which is why I have had to resort to writing here.

I am still thinking of switching service as I wonder if this kind of thing will reoccur. Should I still follow up the issue of too-low Upstream power level?

Yes phone up saying you want cancel following what I posted above, you will see a change in attitude as they like to keep customers, ring 150 and wait for them to say "thinking of leaving us" and then you will talk to a rep.

Important remember to say the fault is intermittent, if they put you through to Tech Support when he says I will be checking your connection switch off the modem for a few seconds.:shocked:

If you get no joy following my advice then its up to you what you then.

ceedee
10-04-2008, 11:22
I tried on my own mac newsreader, however, using the previously stored setting of news.blueyonder.co.uk which is also stated in the current Virgin instructions, but server is unavailable. Are these settings not valid now?

No, the newsgroups on the old blueyonder server were transferred to news.virginmedia.com last week.

I thought that the reason that people give the link to setting up newsgroups in Outlook Express is that (almost) anybody using (almost) anything else is credited with enough intelligence to figure out the settings from the OE guide and apply them to whichever OS or application they're using.
In short, it's a compliment that you don't get Mac instructions!
:)

bennyboy3001uk
10-04-2008, 23:44
exactally same problem iv been having for weeks now.

extremly slow web browsing if any at all, although my xbox live runs full speed its mind boggling!!! iv gone round circles with virgin and they are sending a new modem out but if that doesnt work im canceling. id rather have nothing then paying for this waste of time and money.

lostandconfused
11-04-2008, 09:00
snip
Important remember to say the fault is intermittent, if they put you through to Tech Support when he says I will be checking your connection switch off the modem for a few seconds.:shocked:

Thats why most people in TSC wont tell a customer when they are running tests, and if they do they have usually already done them and is doind something else

funkster99
11-04-2008, 09:32
Got through to Tech support via the newsgroup recommended and had a far happier experience. It seems my modem upstream power level is too low as others have stated here, though I have still no idea if that was connected to the trouble I had earlier in the week as my connection is back to normal now, with good up and down streams.

They are sending a tech round on Monday and I can check on Sunday to confirm it's still on. Why don't they just advertise this more obviously as the best thing to do rather than all that 25p a minute call-centre nonsense. Whoops, I just answered my own question didn't I. Even the 150 customer support cancellation dept who I spoke to about five times didn't mention this. Thanks for the advice to use newsgroup, and to others about power level, I hope it's going to work out now.

astra_lestat
11-04-2008, 19:34
I have got the same problem with intermittent problems for the last 5! days.
Impossible to surf the Internet or play games. Packet loss in online games.

Sometimes modem would disconnect completely with all leds flashing for a few minutes.

whydoIneedatech
11-04-2008, 22:59
Thats why most people in TSC wont tell a customer when they are running tests, and if they do they have usually already done them and is doind something else

I know that! why dis you think I put in the shocked Face at the end, it is the first thing you do with the MAC address.:rofl:

wirecutter
12-04-2008, 11:51
My 4 Meg cable now runs slower than dial up:=
http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/
"Ouch, are you on dial-up or something? Your connection scored 0.5/5 stars..." (test again)
17 Kbps or 0 Mbps (2 kB/s)

Test Result Details
Your connection is: 17 Kbps or 0 Mbps
You downloaded at: 2 kB/s
You are running: 0 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 512 second(s)
Member Ident:Username:wirecutter CompID:75308557191
Test Time:: 2008/04/12 - 4:05am
Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13
Test ID: FP69WSKJR (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 0.56 % of your hosts average (ntl.com)
This was tested from a 100 kB file and took 49.563 seconds to complete

this is a good speed !
in fact one of the best since last week end. I have had my modem replaced twelve days ago and the following is an extract of a letter I sent after that.
"He arrived at 09.42 and by 09.50 had exchanged the unit for the later module and gave me a download speed of 1,159 kb/s
This was a surprise both to him and me!! further tests and exchanges of modem psu's gave a temporary speed hike back up to the wondrous 4015 kb/s which I had previously sometimes experienced but only when a 20 Mhz unit was used, Refitting the correct modem gave me the current speed of 534 kb/s for down load and an upload speed of 229 kb/s this would be good if I had dial up or was using my Blackberry but not for a 4 Meg broadband.
It is to be noted that throughout the tests carried out by your engineer that the system latency remained at around 600 ms.
After carrying out the above work your engineer tested the local distribution (street) box and announced " that the network had interference on it and that the network engineer will be calling sometime in the next few days"
Hmm.. I now have about 10% of the speed that I had when I phoned first and still have a quality factor of about 20%!!"

Contacted Virgin accounts 10.50 11 April 08 got a £25.00 discount and advised to contact ‘0906212111’ premium fault number It rang for 56 seconds then I hung up as I have gone down this road before! And was told that "it is possible that I was exceeding my down load limits" all the time!!!! but at the end of this I did receive a visit ( go back to line 25)http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/smilies/mad.gif
:mad:

ceedee
12-04-2008, 12:35
My 4 Meg cable now runs slower than dial up:=
http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/
"Ouch, are you on dial-up or something? Your connection scored 0.5/5 stars..." (test again)
17 Kbps or 0 Mbps (2 kB/s)

Just used that speedtest and it's estimate of my connection was out by 50%!

If you want to get an accurate idea of your download speeds that VM's Tech Support staff will pay attention to then you'll need to do the following:

Check for broadband problems in your area at http://status2.virginmedia.com/

Disconnect any home networking equipment you have (eg. a router) and only connect directly to the cable modem with a single computer

Close as many applications on your computer as possible, in particular any P2P, streaming or IM programs

Start 2 simultaneous downloads from the VM demo games server (http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/) plus 2 simultaneous downloads of Zen test files (http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test). That's four file downloads happening at once!

Now add up each of the four download speeds to get your accurate download rate.

Recommend you also have a read through Annie's Broadband FAQ (http://a.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html) for further hints and tips.

astra_lestat
12-04-2008, 13:25
it is possible that I was exceeding my down load limits

???

Connections are unlimited nowdays, aren't they?

chaders
12-04-2008, 17:31
optimum signals for a sacm should be 0 to -13db more towards 0 the better return or upstream should be 45-53 db

cleshe
13-04-2008, 08:34

News.blueyonder.co.uk is now dead. reregister as news.virginmedia .com
There was notification on the newsgroup about this, no-where else.And I don't care if it will still ping, it will not work.

astra_lestat
13-04-2008, 09:32
Where is this Vigin Service Status page?

ceedee
13-04-2008, 11:00
Where is this Vigin Service Status page?

As indicated in my earlier post:

It's also available from a link marked "Service Status" towards the bottom of every CF page, wave your mouse over the line which begins "Contact Us -".

wirecutter
13-04-2008, 11:28
Just used that speedtest and it's estimate of my connection was out by 50%!

If you want to get an accurate idea of your download speeds that VM's Tech Support staff will pay attention to then you'll need to do the following:

Disconnect any home networking equipment you have (eg. a router) and only connect directly to the cable modem with a single computer

Close as many applications on your computer as possible, in particular any P2P, streaming or IM programs

Start 2http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/smilies/mad.gif
:mad: simultaneous downloads from the VM demo games server (http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/) plus 2 simultaneous downloads of Zen test files (http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test). That's four file downloads happening at once!

Now add up each of the four download speeds to get your accurate download rate.

Recommend you also have a read through Annie's Broadband FAQ (http://a.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html) for further hints and tips.

Hi All
Have tried that lot, and loading the games that took 2H 17 min !!:dozey:
On the computer front, I built a computer with only the required soft ware , running at 1G800 with 1Gig of memory just to test my end before attempting to contact virgin at the start and this had the same speed.
It is to be noted that the testmy.net is one of a very few test which allow me to stay with them for the time needed to carry out a test! and speedtest takes about 5 to 6 mins to load the first page.
Checking the incoming line at my modem with an HP Spectrum Analiser gives a totally different view to a test at a ntl/virgin modem in luton with mine showing big bursts of shash and gaps in the relevant band [*******] (withheld)
VM tech staff HAVE already tried by sending a engineer to fit the new type of modem and this cut my down load speed from 3,980 kbs down to 430 kbs
and did not change my down load speed 370 kbs...

Note it took 12 min from the time of opening my Email page to get to this page and I did not open anything else

..............:confused::mad:

ceedee
13-04-2008, 12:04
So what total speed did you manage with the four files downloading at the same time?

wirecutter
13-04-2008, 21:43
So what total speed did you manage with the four files downloading at the same time?

The time taken for the VM demo games server plus 2 simultaneous downloads of Zen test file was 2 H 17 m :rolleyes: very slow, done twice as dropped out the first time at about 2 hrs :sleep::sleep:

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

???

Connections are unlimited nowdays, aren't they?

As the "E" from virgin Quotes
" During peak times (4pm till 9pm), users on the L package that download at least 800MB of traffic each and/or uploading at least 325MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting either of these amounts during peak times will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed (STM) – their download speed will be set to 1Mb/s, with their upload speed set to 128Kb/s. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied, the data used to trigger traffic management is then reset. In some circumstances you could have to wait until 2am before your speed returns to normal, if STM was triggered at 8:59pm."
Not unlimited! so don't watch tv between 16.00 & 20.00 .