PDA

View Full Version : Fence Height

LSainsbury
09-04-2008, 16:47
Afternoon all,

Anybody know what the restrictions are on fencing between neighbouring gardens?

Cheers

Lee

dilli-theclaw
09-04-2008, 16:50
I was under the impression it was six feet without planning permission.

Jon T
09-04-2008, 16:52
When I checked up on this it was 2m maximum without requiring planning permisson. I'd double check with the planning section of your local council though.

LSainsbury
09-04-2008, 17:00
Thanks guys I thought 6ft as well but will check.

Graham M
09-04-2008, 17:05
Would it not depend on the particular council?

MovedGoalPosts
09-04-2008, 17:15
General permitted development rights are the same across the country. The only proviso, is that in some areas, for specific planning needs, or past history, such permitted development rights may have been removed.

Fence height limits can be affected by whether it is a front or rear garden, and proximity to roads.

There may also be other restrictions, perhaps from title deeds and covenants.

RDDearing
09-04-2008, 17:52
Probably a good idea to check with the council (you should be able to make a general enquiry without getting tied up with making an actual application).

I say this because the previous owner but one of the property we're in now tried to put up a 5ft wood panel fence on the edge of the garden that borders with a grass verge that runs alongside the pavement. He put in a retrospective application and it was turned down, not on the height but that in keeping with the area it should be a brick bottom half with wooden panels on the top half.

Nidge
09-04-2008, 20:06
Afternoon all,

Anybody know what the restrictions are on fencing between neighbouring gardens?

Cheers

Lee

6ft with razor wire, gun turrets and infra red cctv.

tweetypie/8
09-04-2008, 20:49

nice one nidge.;)

LSainsbury
09-04-2008, 21:08

That might cure our problem....

:D

Tightscot
09-04-2008, 21:15
i've just put up a 6 ft fence, with 1ft trellis on top - total height = 7 ft...

never bothered with planning permission - i mean its just a fence...:erm: just found this:

In general, if the height of any fence or other ‘means of enclosure’ (including a gate or wall) is within 20 metres of a road and would exceed one metre in height, then planning permission is required.

‘Road’ includes footpaths, tracks etc (see Roads Scotland) Act 1984 for definition).

In any other case where the height of the ‘means of enclosure’ would exceed two metres, then planning permission would be required.

Planning permission is required for any fencing within the curtilage of or surrounding a listed building.

Hedges do not require planning permission.

so maybe i'll just keep quiet...

bw41101
09-04-2008, 21:34
That might cure our problem....

:D

By problem (one presumes) squawking brats that really enjoy kicking a ball on to your property - then climbing over the fence specifically to wind you up. Aye, I used to have a similar problem until (with the six foot fence) I planted Pyracanthas all along the fence boundary. :erm:

They've taken a little while to grow (around eight foot at the last measurement), but (now) they are a lovely shade of green - with red berries in the winter (good for the birds) and (best of all) lovely long thorns that would put barbed wire to shame. Nobody in their right mind would try that trick now. ;)

Hedges do not require planning permission.

Exactly!;)

Vlad_Dracul
26-04-2008, 19:07
Good fences make good neighbours. Some neighbours are inconsiderate ****.

fireman328
26-04-2008, 21:33

Dont mess about, tell us what you really think !

Hugh
27-04-2008, 00:40
So your neighbours tell you how they feel about you? ;)

paulpcwindows
06-05-2008, 16:04
the max height is 2 meters, or 6 ft 6.. and barbwire is still legal , not razor wire though.

Jon T
10-05-2008, 09:53
the max height is 2 meters, or 6 ft 6.. and barbwire is still legal , not razor wire though.

http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

Taf
10-05-2008, 11:00
Generally max heights are 1 metre at front of property, 2 metres at the rear.

This also applied to hedging (and the dreaded leylandii) until Prescott (deputy PM) got hold of the rules, screwed with them, and tagged the High Hedges Law onto the ASBO legislation.

Now if you feel your neighbour's hedging is too high you have to PAY £hundreds to make a complaint, then hope the local council's tree inspector does his job and slaps an ASBO on the neighbours forcing them to keep the hedge to a maxiumum height he determines.

But here in Cardiff you pay the extortionate fee and wait, and wait, and wait.......

More info and help here: http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/ and http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

paulpcwindows
11-05-2008, 13:52
it seems to me, that the law wants to protect the intruder, not the poor householder, pc and the world gone mad, a home owner must let a intruder in and he must not hurt himeself, in doing so,.. let us get back to the real world of thugs, and criminals, and keep them out..

Jim_il
20-11-2008, 11:03
Hi forum member. I am new member in this forum.You can use six feet Hight

Enuff
20-11-2008, 11:12
Hello Jim. :)

Our council only allow 3ft at the front of the property and 6ft at the back

LSainsbury
20-11-2008, 11:21
Hi forum member. I am new member in this forum.You can use six feet Hight

I spy a potential spammer. ;)

happiness
21-11-2008, 08:51
Hello
Does anyone know the height restriction for fencing to the side of the property. My neighbour is intending to erect a fence to seperate our driveways. In our case my driveway and my neighbours are side by side between the properties and have shared access at the end of the driveway - at this point the access crosses over the public pavement before joining the road. My neigbour is the end property and there is busy footpath that runs in front of his property and along the bottom of the shared access.

Thanks

SimpleSimon
21-11-2008, 20:15
Hi there,

People might find this website of interest in finding out if planning permission is needed for doing things around the house.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/hhg/houseguide.html

Simon

fudge
21-11-2008, 20:38
I phoned up my local council to ask what is the height you can go to and was told 6ft 6inch including any top terrace , If you want to go higher you have to get planning permision which here costs £150

You can however have a hedge that has no restrictions.

Enuff
22-11-2008, 19:02
I have no fence at the back, it was leaning outwards and became dangerous, the council wont give us another. They said all fencing is the tenents responsiblity. I've had no fence for over two years.

Escapee
23-11-2008, 19:39
http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

I follow the sam law as the local council, when they built a hostel next door there was a high fence from the former TA centre with razor wire. They removed a section and replaced it with a similar fence with razor wire on top, I know there was no mention of the razor wire on the planning application because I closely viewed all the plans.

I did have a comment from one of the councillors visiting about my razor wire, who said I should remove it. I simply pointed out the razor wire at the hostel, and told him I would not require it if the council hadn't built a hostel for **** on my doorstep, and that was the last I heard about it.

I believe the law on front fences did vary for different areas, but theclocal planning officer should be able to help.