PDA

View Full Version : Ambit cable modem user guide?

iantresman
08-04-2008, 14:29
My father's has just received his Ambit 256 cable modem which replaces the one in his Samsung set-top box (STB). Anyone know where I can find a user guide... I think I need to set-up port forwarding since our remote connection with UltraVNC is no longer working.

BenMcr
08-04-2008, 14:33
there is no way to do that. it is a modem, not a router.

it passes all ports from the net to whatever is connected to it

Graham M
08-04-2008, 15:08
My father's has just received his Ambit 256 cable modem which replaces the one in his Samsung set-top box (STB). Anyone know where I can find a user guide... I think I need to set-up port forwarding since our remote connection with UltraVNC is no longer working.

It will be more likely that the IP has changed as that depends on what device is connected, the Modem does not have any routing functions onboard. To check the IP, go to www.whatismyip.com from the computer concerned.

iantresman
08-04-2008, 15:12
Good, that makes it easier. In that case, it's probably just Windows Vista Firewall that I need to tweak. Some install documents for UltraVNC are here (http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?t=5890) which includes a link to: How to Debug "Failed to Connect to Server" Version 2 (Updated 2007-4-6)

Graham M
08-04-2008, 15:14
Good, that makes it easier. In that case, it's probably just Windows Vista Firewall that I need to tweak. Some install documents for UltraVNC are here (http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?t=5890) which includes a link to: How to Debug "Failed to Connect to Server" Version 2 (Updated 2007-4-6)

Did you not read my post?

iantresman
08-04-2008, 15:24
Did you not read my post?

Nope, our posts crossed. Turns out you were quite right. The new cable modem has a new IP address, which I can read by hovering my cursor over the UltraVNC icon in the system tray.

I have already checked out the new IP address... but I had entered the new IP address with an extra dot! Now corrected, and the connection works great.

As you say, no configuration of the modem was necessary, and no changes with Windows Vista firewall were needed either.

Thanks for your help.