PDA

View Full Version : re : fair usage policy

peteh
06-04-2008, 15:51
Firstly, I would like to make clear that I do not wish to debate the policy's existence on the VM service itself, I just have a question or two regarding it for my own personal curiousity.

From what I've read it points to the "peak hours" being between 4-9pm.
If you exceed the amount of upload/download designated to your particular package during that time you get penalized for a period of 4 hours via reduced speed

For example, if I exceed 3gb of data download or 1.5gb of data upload (can't remember the exact amount) then my speed gets reduced (something like 5 mbps downstream) assuming an XL package connection

Question One - I found no particulars on weekend usage, should I rightly assume the 4-9pm applies on the weekend like any other part of the week? Or would the hours extend beyond this (for example, mid day till 9pm)

Question Two - The policy literally "kicks in" after those times mentioned? For example if I've started a download at 3am and due to poor host it finishes at 4.01pm I should still be ok?

Hope the questions make sense, I tryed using the forum search feature

what?
06-04-2008, 16:00
the policy does still have the same hours on weekends.
it lasts for 5 hours when it kicks is, though the is the same for weekdays now.

yes, you will still be fine. as long as you dont download that amount DURING those hours.
though a few people on here seem to be having probs with it kicking in at other times of the day when it shouldnt be. so keep an eye on ti and if you find that happening contact ts.

xspeedyx
06-04-2008, 16:45
Check out the STM page on Virgin Media's website link below

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Kymmy
06-04-2008, 18:58
Also it is more of a traffic shaping policy than a fair usage policy as the Adsl providers use.

Adsl providers tend to traffic shape you after a monthly amount (from a pervious months usage) and then restrict you during peak hours (all to varying amounts...i.e. Orange will drop you to 512kb where as Demon will restrict you to 128kb) for the next month untill your preceding month is below a fixed amount (normally about 40gb up and down)

I know which I'd rather have...In order of preference

NO STM on my current business account
STM only as VM currently does
FUP as most current ADSL providers

Kymmy

Welshchris
07-04-2008, 10:18
AOL drop u to 2mb from upto 8mb on their largest package if u exceed their 60gb limit.

peteh
07-04-2008, 17:23
Thanks for the replies

@ Darth - it was reading through that page which prompted my initial questions regarding the policy... it just seemed a bit odd given bb activity would likely be higher on weekends than weekdays... but hey, lets not give them anymore ideas :P

@ What? - thought as much, as formentioned it was more of a curiousity thing... I'm set in my ways of doing any required heavy downloading during the night/offpeak when the connections not in use so we're ok there

@ Kymmy - I agree on the traffic shaping part because my true feelings on the whole thing point to that, however I'm unwilling to engage the issue further than that at this point (hence my earlier comment)

@ Welshchris - while harsh, the actual total download wouldn't concern me, though we run multiple pcs on the connection we're not heavy-duty downloaders, usually the bulk of it gets done after a system format via updates/patching things... even then I can't recall a month where we even got near the 60 mark over 5/6 years (was just the 4-9pm bit i was wondering about)

Anyway, Thanks again for the replies, initial questions answered

Bonglet
07-04-2008, 18:53
I was at a lan all night friday when i got back saturday afternoon i was shaped without downloading/uploading anything once more are we being stm'd without doing anything at a weekend?, my game playing was ruined this weekend hope this was just a one of thing ill check it again this weekend ;s.